Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:49:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the future of mining?  (Read 6688 times)
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:00:42 AM

its simple,

Mining it self its DEAD!

So if you just join the Bitcoin Rush, its to late, that mountain is empty....

The "mountain" isn't estimated to be empty until the year 2140 or 21 Million BTC has been mined... i still see mining as an option.

I am one of those hoping to get our Avalon chips so we can burn to our homemade and K16 boards... keeping the initial costs down to help return "ROI" which for me is all about stacking as much BTC as I can..

If Avalon does not ship and companies that develop next gen ASICs do not allow the open source community to work from their specs.. then yes we may never be able to mine again and the greed of a few will continue to hammer the "mountain"

Yes, Im aware of that.

I was saying that if   last year you invested lets say $2,000, you would of have made your ROI back and profits on top of that by now.

Now if You invest $2,000 you will NEVER make your profit back now. Therefore the mountain being empty to become profitable.

I purchase an Old Gold mine 2 years ago here in Arizona, it still has Gold but its not profitable to invest 10,000 to be able to mine it.   
 --- But I do go in their once in a while with some dynamite, I have so far only found a little bit, its verily covers the cost of the tnt. But its fun to blow shit up...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
voxelot

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:51:12 AM

its simple,

Mining it self its DEAD!

So if you just join the Bitcoin Rush, its to late, that mountain is empty....

The "mountain" isn't estimated to be empty until the year 2140 or 21 Million BTC has been mined... i still see mining as an option.

I am one of those hoping to get our Avalon chips so we can burn to our homemade and K16 boards... keeping the initial costs down to help return "ROI" which for me is all about stacking as much BTC as I can..

If Avalon does not ship and companies that develop next gen ASICs do not allow the open source community to work from their specs.. then yes we may never be able to mine again and the greed of a few will continue to hammer the "mountain"

Yes, Im aware of that.

I was saying that if   last year you invested lets say $2,000, you would of have made your ROI back and profits on top of that by now.

Now if You invest $2,000 you will NEVER make your profit back now. Therefore the mountain being empty to become profitable.

I purchase an Old Gold mine 2 years ago here in Arizona, it still has Gold but its not profitable to invest 10,000 to be able to mine it.   
 --- But I do go in their once in a while with some dynamite, I have so far only found a little bit, its verily covers the cost of the tnt. But its fun to blow shit up...

Absolutely.. you have to be careful where you invest on these things with the way they are shipping tthem.. I have only invest like $300 on my chips and I may never see that money again due to the way they have been holding back on chips vs the difficulty raising... I'll let you guys know if things work out!

Regards
nameface (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:20:36 PM

Difficulty is rising sharply as price stagnates, so I can't help but worry that as small-time miners are squeezed out of the game there will be more and more opportunities for other alt-coins/payment systems to steal Bitcoin's market share. I say this because I have always felt that a driving force of the Bitcoin economy was the fact that a large subset of users were profiting from mining, and when and if this opportunity erodes for the casual bitcoiner, the entire economy will be put at risk by the threat of new systems offering better incentives (or at least the chance of an incentive). Is Bitcoin still fine just as it is?

Why would a bunch of miners going to alt-coins make them valuable?  Bitcoin has already been bootstrapped, there is no need to provide a free lunch anymore to get people to use it.

Good point. My thinking has been tainted with a "once Bitcoin starts really blowing up and going mainstream really fast, what might happen is...", and I forget to just looks at the facts.

Litecoin and all the other alts (not incl. Ripples) have a market cap ~5% that of Bitcoin. That seems higher than it used to be? My suspicion as I look down this list http://coinmarketcap.com/ and notice a lot of newcoins with decent market caps, is that the prices for the coins are probably not very real or stable prices. When there is a selloff of one coin, it could domino effect and everyone could realize their coins are worthless, and millions of "dollars worth" of coins could evaporate. Are all these coins clustered in the 50k to 200k range really worth THAT much!?

I believe we are seeing Bitcoin's utility increasing gradually as the coin supply goes out. When reward halves again there will already be 16 million coins out, and hopefully Bitcoin will be much further along and much more useful, and there will be no need to bootstrap another similar system. 2016 will certainly be a year of reckoning in Bitcoin. I think it would be nice to have schemes where the community can continue to profit from newly minted coins through investing in large rigs. 
pacojones

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:39:08 PM

I have a feeling that the mining manufactures (the people building the shovels) have a very good handle on what's going on in the market and will continue to sell products that make ROI in a reasonable timeframe for a reasonable amount of money.  Now reasonable is relative.  I started mining a couple of years ago, collected a bunch of coins and stopped.  Early this year I took about 1/4 of what I mined and bought hardware.  So, 2 years ago when the coins were at $10 I was happy to use GPUs - today at $120 I'm happy to buy ASICS.  My point being that I'd spend $300 on GPUs when BTC was $10 but now at $100 per coin, I'm happy to spend $3000.  OH, but wait, this isn't fiat money that I'm "spending" it's bitcoin so it's physiologically easier for me because I'm only spending 30 BTC.

Is mining dead?  NO - but it's quickly growing out of reach of a majority of hobbyist miners.

Personally - I plan to mine as long as possible, ROI or not - somebody needs to help keep the network health an diversified.

TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 03:52:20 PM

If you do your homework on the latest mining technologies and make sure you're buying the latest model, you can still make a good return on your investment.  We're just right in the middle of a technology leap.  I also think that mining is kind of fun, so I'll do it regardless.  Just looking for a way to get free electricity at the moment.

I would expect that in 6-12 months or so, once asics are being made at the current limit for microprocessor chip size (22nm?), there will be a leveling of the playing field and everyone will be able to get their hands on the same rigs that the big operations are using.  That may happen sooner because I don't think the generic chip manufacturers overseas are able to go much smaller than 28nm.  If you invest in a 28nm ASIC, you're probably going to do OK...assuming you don't buy it from Butterfly Labs.

Does anyone know what percentage of mining rewards the "processing fees" currently make up on average?  

byteminr

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 01:04:00 PM

Personally - I plan to mine as long as possible, ROI or not - somebody needs to help keep the network health an diversified.

This is exactly why we've started https://www.byteminr.com.

Now that CPU and GPU mining over for most people, we want to make sure many people can still take part in bitcoin mining to keep the network diversified. Our intention is provide access to the cheapest power we can (within reason) and best generation hardware so that mining can remain viable for the masses and not just the large investors who are currently putting in many Mil $USD into major infrastructure for mining to try to control the supply of new coins. The network needs diversity.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:17:59 PM

This is exactly why we've started https://www.byteminr.com.

Now that CPU and GPU mining over for most people, we want to make sure many people can still take part in bitcoin mining to keep the network diversified. Our intention is provide access to the cheapest power we can (within reason) and best generation hardware so that mining can remain viable for the masses and not just the large investors who are currently putting in many Mil $USD into major infrastructure for mining to try to control the supply of new coins. The network needs diversity.

Byteminr looks like a cloudhashing clone.  You even use KNC miner as well.
nameface (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:18:50 AM

What's better model, cloudhashing leases of bonds?
atmclikk

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:08:05 PM

A ton of this conversation is conjecture based on the 'fact' that 1 BTC = ~ 120 USD.  Less than a year ago, it was a 'fact' that 1 BTC = ~ 10 USD.

I am seeing the BTC to USD conversion rate jumping over 130 USD now.  Who is to say in December that it won't be a 'fact' that 1 BTC = ~ 500 USD.  Then all of those people who were like 'BTC is dead, stupid groupies jumping on the bandwagon buying overpriced asic mining equipment with the difficulty where it is at now are so stupid and make me so mad.' could kindly take back all of their bitching.

There is also a chance that BTC could tank due to regulation or something.  Personally, to me it is so hard to get in on the game (and pretty unfair...  its too hard to get into the mining game anymore, with people who were GPU mining and built up a thousand or more BTC, which then jumped to being worth like 100k - they are the ones who have the dough to buy a 10k avalon or a 30k minirig).  But someone like myself, kind of like the next generation of enthusiast - I am getting to the point where I'm growing uninterested in BTC.  I'd rather put my efforts into LTC or other cryptos.  But to say there is only room for one crypto is just naive...  BTC is the first generation of crypto... Its only the beginning for this shit.

I guess I would really like to see the BTC hoarders making BTC more available to the masses.  BTC could easily die (due to the inevitable inflation which will eventually squash the value...  it may jump to 500 in December, but its definately not going to stay up there...  There arent enough in circulation, and it is at this point simply too dificult to obtain BTC for anyone outside of enthusiasts with time to spend on it.

Bleah, just a rant....
nameface (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 08:53:15 PM

Bleah, just a rant....
Good rant. I think a lot of people are going through your same thought process. Bitcoin is in an intermediate phase. New users on the scene are not exactly early adopters, but it's still not yet mainstream.

I like what Bitpay is doing. They are the Bitcoin pioneers. Creative entrepreneurs are the people who are capitalizing on the big opportunity. Mining is certainly a real business, but it's not like it was in the beginning. There may be a mixed message about what opportunities really exist in the Bitcoin business eco-system for new participants?

I just worry that maybe as mining centralizes so early on, with so many coins left to be mined, dissent in the community could stifle growth. Anyways, I think there's a lot of utility for Bitcoin as it is, and that it can even grow without new innovations to propel it further.

Profitable mining companies should think about taking some of the profits they earn from bootstrapping the Bitcoin network, and funneling them into other businesses that are bootstrapping Bitcoin further in different ways.
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:03:56 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 07:26:43 PM by timk225

BitCoin may TECHNICALLY be mineable until 2140, but for all practical purposes it's got a year, maybe 2 of useful mining left in it.  By then the difficulty will be sky high and no one can predict the price.  There will be some coins left but it won't be worth the effort.

And all those ASICS everyone pissed their pants over will be USELESS! Cheesy
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 08:01:04 PM

But someone like myself, kind of like the next generation of enthusiast - I am getting to the point where I'm growing uninterested in BTC.  I'd rather put my efforts into LTC or other cryptos.  But to say there is only room for one crypto is just naive...  BTC is the first generation of crypto... Its only the beginning for this shit.

So well put. I couldn't agree more.

This statement speaks to me on many levels. When I discovered Bitcoin I was too broke to really do anything with it. Then when I did start playing with it I made some money, but not nearly as much as I could have made if I just held until Spring of this year. Now I am at the point where I have studied mining from a business aspect and I just don't see it as a viable option right now. Trading is alive but the real arb opportunities are so far out of reach of those with average resources. So now I am thinking to myself...what's next? I have always dabbled in Litecoin here and there. I even made some money in it. But what is the real future of it? Where is the innovation? I ask myself AND everyone else these questions because eventually I would like to have a hand in it all. Just not sure exactly how to go about doing it yet. I want to be active in this point of the crypto movement but I am at a stand still trying to figure out what will be most profitable to me and will it ultimately push the progression of Bitcoins or alt-coins.

I want to be a player. But right now I am simply a confused enthusiast.
androz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Crypto-ideologist

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:43:50 PM

But to say there is only room for one crypto is just naive...  BTC is the first generation of crypto... Its only the beginning for this shit.

So well put. I couldn't agree more.

imao btc will take longer before becoming obsolete.
btc is still in the age of social infancy, it takes time becoming accepted to the masses

we saw all other crypto panting efforts to emulate his success even if they offered some improvements, but no one succeded

tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:58:22 PM

Well, I have never tried mining, but I've heard from others that the difficulty is going to explode!
manny_el_portu

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:42:20 PM

Random though here:

I think the main problem with bitcoin mining is that while the network needs the largest number of user possible running as high a hashrate as possible to increase the security of the network (so long no single miner has over 51% of the total network hashrate) and increase transaction speed, the way mining works it actually "punishes" the increase in number of miners. The difficulty self adjusts every 2106 (or was it 2016) blocks so that it always takes about two weeks to mine that same amount of blocks. That being said, the more miners there are, the less everyone gets. Sure, whoever has more hashing power will always get more coins, but even then if one single person has a rig which is ten, one hundred or one thousand times as much hashing power as anyone else, if there are enough miners this miner will still only be getting a small fraction of the coins mined in those 2106 blocks.
What really matters nowadays is not how much hashing power you have, but what percentage of the networks hashing power you hold, and the more miners that join in the less percentage of the total hashing power of the network you will hold.
It seems to me that it makes very little sense for the network to need more miners, and yet reward the increase in the number of miners by giving each one smaller rewards for mining.
Just a thought, though...
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:40:50 AM

Bitcoin is dead

Thanks for letting us know.  I completely missed that memo.
bitcoin isn't, but mining certainly is
byteminr

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

Byteminr looks like a cloudhashing clone.  You even use KNC miner as well.

It's not really the same. We provide virtual rigs, that our customers can control. It's much more analogous to owning a rig at home, where you can increase or decrease the power, change pools and (in the future) change which coins you mine for, even change the mining software you use will be possible on our platform as it develops.

Adrian
tarui

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 03:33:38 PM

i was thinking, with manufacturers making 400gh/s units to deal with the rising difficulty, the difficulty would rise even faster. as a result those 400ghs will be like the avalons of today, struggling to get returns.

Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2013, 06:43:35 AM

Mining is currently exploding far past what BTC market value will support, if you intend to be a pro-miner right now then good luck. In comparison hardware prices are high, if you really want to be a miner then you have to pay that price to be one and not expect to hit a break-even. But that is at today's price. If by some miracle Bitcoin hits $500 by the end of the year, miners will be having a pretty good day with each ASIC becoming a winning lottery ticket.

Really the fact that mining hashrate has gone exponential is astounding news on its own. This means that despite the profit-loss apparently many miners are not in it for the money, and more for the cause. People are still buying rigs despite negative ROI on most of it.

Mining as an industry is still evolving and changing, with many new players in the market very soon. At some point hopefully Bitcoin's market value goes up again like it did in April, followed by a flattening curve in hashpower rate when ASICs have finally saturated the market. It will likely happen but not for some time yet, but no one really knows what the future is. Miners in a serious frame of mind are taking a very large bet on Bitcoin's dominance in the future.

I feel many views of this are very short sighted, not taking into account the long term prospects of this emerging business. One must be very vigilant in predicting possible futures in terms of hashpower, difficulty, and overall market activity in Bitcoin and in the fiat world as well.

The network is ready for a much bigger world in the end, only time will tell if all of this hashpower is justified. In a possible future world where everyone is using digital currency, a Petahash will look like nothing as we reminisce of these early days. Or Bitcoin is ultimately a failure and ASICs are expensive paperweights. Either reality is possible, to be a miner is to know this fully.

fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 12:46:43 PM

This is the problem with technology. People not in IT field will slowly lose out...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: