Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:54:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ligthning netowrk payments on main net!!  (Read 272 times)
FrueGreads (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:28:00 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2018, 11:42:05 AM by FrueGreads
Merited by fast2fix (1), richardsNY (1)

Hello guys, I decided to share some good news, that maybe some have already heard about it, but I'm sure others didn't.
Right now I only saw these news related to the use of the lightning network on the main net (and not just on the testnet), but there are probably more people using it already. This probably means that we should see the lightning network arriving sooner rather then later, so it should be during this year. Given the recent dip, I would say we are having an amazing opportunity to buy bitcoin now.

Here are the news:

https://www.coindesk.com/payment-provider-bitrefill-runs-successful-lightning-transaction-test/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7r87g0/there_are_already_29_insanely_brave_nodes_running/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7rauie/just_made_my_first_bitcoin_payment_to_blockstream/

Have you guys seen anything else related to this?

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FrueGreads (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 10:20:55 PM

Really? Am I the only one thrilled here with these news? I keep seeing people talking about bitcoin price, and saying is this a bubble, or did it crash, should we buy the dip, etc etc. Bitcoin is supposed to be used, and the lightning network will allow us to do just that, and now that it seems to be very close to become a reality no one talks about it?

Here are some more amazing news
https://blockstream.com/2018/01/16/lightning-charge.html

Apparently the lightning network will not just just solve the tx fees and transaction times. With the c-lightning it will be easy for developers to create apps that will make it easy to use. We all know how difficult it is to use bitcoin, and that needs to change so that the average user can actually use bitcoin as a payment system.

These are exciting times for bitcoin guys, let's spread the good news and stop focusing on the price.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

Bitophile

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:50:21 PM

I hope this works well. Would be great to silence the critics
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:08:27 PM
Merited by FrueGreads (1), bitart (1)

Really? Am I the only one thrilled here with these news? I keep seeing people talking about bitcoin price, and saying is this a bubble, or did it crash, should we buy the dip, etc etc. Bitcoin is supposed to be used, and the lightning network will allow us to do just that, and now that it seems to be very close to become a reality no one talks about it?

I am thrilled too. I think people aren't yet excited about lightning network because of it not having been deemed 'officially' ready yet. The news articles about how lightning network has been used on the main net aren't really new, where the most recent articles just pile up on top of that with people thinking that it's just all the same again. On top of that, the network fees have been decreasing considerably recently, which means that people have less to complain about, and thus lightning network becomes less of a subject. It's a very weird form of logic that people seem to thrive on here, but what can we do? Once the fees start increasing again, people will start complaining, which then results in them asking for a solution/improvement (i.e. lightning network).
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:12:40 PM

Some exchanges have LN implemented now, we need payment processors such as BitPay to enable LN payments which will be huge. Another thing is to get it on some big exchanges for main adoption. Problem now is that if you have BTCBTC there aren't many places where you are able to use it plus you have lack of popular wallets of not supporting LN. But I am very exited about LN, your post prob got lost a bit the first time.
FrueGreads (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:22:51 PM

Some exchanges have LN implemented now, we need payment processors such as BitPay to enable LN payments which will be huge. Another thing is to get it on some big exchanges for main adoption. Problem now is that if you have BTCBTC there aren't many places where you are able to use it plus you have lack of popular wallets of not supporting LN. But I am very exited about LN, your post prob got lost a bit the first time.

To be honest, I would be happy if exchanges were adopting segwit right now, since it's ready for a long time, and exchanges like coinbase still haven't done anything about it. They could at least batch transactions, and they don't even do that. I read a lot of articles, explaining that exchanges like coinbase, are probably one of the main reasons the fees are so high. I recently read that it would be possible that coinbase would not adopt LN, even if it was already available because it would violate some of the terms in their license or something like that.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

TheySeeMeHodlingTheyHatin

Activity: 70
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 11:39:04 PM

i think it will take awhile for lightening being widely used (wtf segwit not being mass adopted ?!)

but bitcoin shows more and more that other cryptocurrencies are useless
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:20:06 AM

To be honest, I would be happy if exchanges were adopting segwit right now, since it's ready for a long time, and exchanges like coinbase still haven't done anything about it. They could at least batch transactions, and they don't even do that. I read a lot of articles, explaining that exchanges like coinbase, are probably one of the main reasons the fees are so high. I recently read that it would be possible that coinbase would not adopt LN, even if it was already available because it would violate some of the terms in their license or something like that.

I do agree and you have to take into consideration that those exchanges with big volume lack of LN support as you say they don't even support bach32. Some exchanges do support SegWit such as flyp.me (https://steemit.com/segwit/@flypme/flyp-me-deploys-support-for-bitcoin-and-litecoin-segwit-lower-fees), I've heard that gemini supports SegWit but since I don't have account with them I can't vouch for this. SegWit and LN are not the same.

Coinbase don't give a F about about LN, they have everything working for them right now. Plus they have to many customers anyway which is why they are not in a hurry. They don't care since new investors first exchange they hear for is prob coinbase which is great for them. Exchanges are the main reason behind it, because many people use crypto to transfer between their wallet an exchanges if like 20% is even used as a real currency.
fast2fix
Legendary

Activity: 1612
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:35:38 AM

that's a bummer, if coinbase does not implement LN then we would have to migrate to other exchanger that does! we don't need exchangers that does not adapts for user's convenience.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:25:20 PM
Merited by FrueGreads (1)

I am thrilled too. I think people aren't yet excited about lightning network because of it not having been deemed 'officially' ready yet. The news articles about how lightning network has been used on the main net aren't really new, where the most recent articles just pile up on top of that with people thinking that it's just all the same again. On top of that, the network fees have been decreasing considerably recently, which means that people have less to complain about, and thus lightning network becomes less of a subject. It's a very weird form of logic that people seem to thrive on here, but what can we do? Once the fees start increasing again, people will start complaining, which then results in them asking for a solution/improvement (i.e. lightning network).
Now when the fees are relatively low (or were low in the beginning of the week, now it's a bit higher but still far away from the rates of last December) the developers of the lightning network got some extra time to work on the LN .
Someone wrote that the implementation (I mean the mass adoption or the go-live) of the lightning network won't be a kind of event that will happen from a day to another with celebration and press conference, countdown, champagne, etc... Instead, it will happen like more and more people will start to use it, and finally we will see that the majority of the people are using the LN for micro transactions.
So as long as the fees are low the pressure is also a bit lower on devs, there's no need to hurry, but to develop something that's ready to use without bugs (after a massive test period).
FrueGreads (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:32:38 PM
Merited by bitart (1)

Now when the fees are relatively low (or were low in the beginning of the week, now it's a bit higher but still far away from the rates of last December) the developers of the lightning network got some extra time to work on the LN .
Someone wrote that the implementation (I mean the mass adoption or the go-live) of the lightning network won't be a kind of event that will happen from a day to another with celebration and press conference, countdown, champagne, etc... Instead, it will happen like more and more people will start to use it, and finally we will see that the majority of the people are using the LN for micro transactions.
So as long as the fees are low the pressure is also a bit lower on devs, there's no need to hurry, but to develop something that's ready to use without bugs (after a massive test period).

I think you are absolutely correct in your statement. I think it's going to be like segwit but without the fork of course. As development gets more stable, we will see people creating more and more LN nodes, and adoption will "slowly" occur. I hope it happens faster than segwit of course, but although it's fully operational right now (the only thing missing is a minor update in the core wallet, that is due to happen in March I think) we are only at 30% adoption or something like that.

I just hope it's easy to run nodes for the LN, so that merchants can easily set them up on there stores. Bitcoin is still not very user friendly, and that needs to chance in order to get adoption.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

btcrich2020

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:23:03 AM

lightening network with less fee bitcoin will be unstoppable in coming future hope so it is implement soon
akkocoin

Activity: 117
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:31:32 AM

I have not paid any particular attention to the bitcoin price anymore, I think bitcoin was rectifying and I heard bitcoin will be combined with the lightning network. I think this is good news, our vision should be longer,and we should not just See the immediate interests.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 08:14:56 AM

I have not paid any particular attention to the bitcoin price anymore, I think bitcoin was rectifying and I heard bitcoin will be combined with the lightning network. I think this is good news, our vision should be longer,and we should not just See the immediate interests.
This is good news, but you should check the Lightning Network whitepaper or do some google search to learn about the LN. This won't be combined with the bitcoin, but this is a new solutioin which uses the main bitcoin network only for the opening and closing the channels of LN. These channels will enable the quick and cheap transactions, and the bitcoin main blockchain transactions are only needed if the channels are running out of available funds or there's a need to close them. As long as the channels have transactions in both directions, there's no need to transact on the main bitcoin network, this is why it makes cheaper and quicker to do micro transactions on the LN.
tuskacz

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 08:28:57 AM

I hope this works well. Would be great to silence the critics

Your approach resembles that of Russia or north Korea. In democracy there will always be and has to be constructive criticism which draws area for improvement. You certainly do not get it.
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2988

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 07:44:58 AM

I paid .33 cents sending out $220 today.  The LN was put in place 2 weeks ago and starting to do what some had suggested...like my boy here who lays it out flawlessly -https://medium.com/@melik_87377/lightning-network-enables-unicast-transactions-in-bitcoin-lightning-is-bitcoins-tcp-ip-stack-8ec1d42c14f5

Good times ahead.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███