Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:04:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018!  (Read 16823 times)
crypto4pizza

Activity: 102
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 05:04:52 AM

revolution always starts with few. the others will have no choice but to follow. some self proclaimed crypto gurus, (some of them are even clueless, why are they rich and how fast it happens) remember they still speak at conferences etc., from now on i will whistle when they speak. and my first question will be be why dont you counter asic when you know is not decentralized?
The key is;  if the asic could be made cheap and available, then that is a potential valid counter to centralization by asics.

Food for thought.

Unfortunately, no one selling ASICS will break the highly profitable business model due to pure greed and market dominance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 05:43:42 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

then again there's people like me working on a FPGA design with my father for off the shelf FPGA's and for it to be open source....   My father has worked with FPGA's before, so I need to give him flowcharts of different algroythms for us to start development.  

I plan one FPGA module per 'simple' algo, or some that work with others, if it is able. Others configured with another asic for parallel operation and enhanced speed.... such as rolling-algo type algos, the unit would need multiple FPGA's that all work in unison.

I was thinking modular devices that would be chained on a controller that initializes each asic when powered on or reconfigured via a usb or network interface.    This way you could build a FPGA miner for any algo by just adding the ones necessary and configuring them properly...  Possibly Pi controlled because it has enough serial and I/O, as well as all the extra bits like Ethernet capability, memory, etc.  I know memory in the controller isn't as fast as the ASIC having its own RAM, but... it may be effective for power consumption nonetheless.

I know its far fetched;  but its a real goal.  When I have something on paper, and some tests on dev-boards done...   Ill touch more on it.

But this was my intention.... for creating a hardware device...   to help counter what the monsters are doing.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
The Demon Slick

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 08:46:02 AM

Jared you should check out the speedcore by achronix, an eFPGA. Expensive, but exciting in it's potential.
Piskeante

Activity: 924
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 11:30:10 AM

The problems with ASICS are basically four

1º the use of specialized hardware such as ASICS to complete maths operations, and much more efficient, gives ASICS and advantage over GPU mining. That's a FACT that cannot be discussed.

2º Since you can get more money with less costs, it's possible to get profit quicker. Moreover, if you have a big farm, you can sell your coin directly to a big whale, and that coin will not go "into the system". Or said in other words. IF people buy coins from ASIC miners at lower cost than in the market, the market will say: there is NO DEMAND. So, the price will go down. We cannot control who sells the coins but we can try to harm ASICS users so that they don't artificially destroy the market.

3º If we had coins with unlimited amount of coins to mine, ASIC would still be a problem, but not as hard as today. almost all coins outthere have a max number of coins determined. the more power provided by ASICS , the less money you´ll get because you will be able to mine less coins-

4º ASIC makes the cryptomarket centralized. a small amount of people can have the power to hash almost all coins , disturbing the market and also controlling the price. That IS NOT TO BE ALLOWED BY ANY MEANS.

The problem with forks, is that normally, to make ASICS stay away from a coin, they also fork gpu miners, so we get less profit normally. the reduction of hashrate is good, but if you manipulate the price by using ASICS to create large amounts of coins, or to stop providing them to the market, you can obviously centralize the market , and that is something we don't want to have.

Bitmain has ASICS for almost all coins. And i think we should force devs to fork every little months.

BTC no more than 6k by end of 2019. ETH no more than 300$ by end 2019. Huge market manipulation, huge amount of scammers and hypers.
lolchina

Activity: 294
Merit: 103

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 12:17:56 PM

Dont really think that it will die but cool off for sure,at current prices only large scale miners that have cheap electricity can mine with some kind of profit now.Most of miners already roid on their gear last year so probably have some amount $ that can make them float in this period but if not at least gamers can finally buy some gpus Grin
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:25:20 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2018, 02:07:55 PM by senseless

I see day by day, ASICS of many coins are launching, individually or multiple. Chinese companies are trying to kill the GPU mining market once again cause they are greedy, just like they did to Bitcoin and Litecoin. GPU Mining died in 2013 and was resurrected in 2015 with the Cryptocoins Generation 2.0, although many of you miners just started mining on 2016 due to huge pumps on those 2.0 cryptocoins.

As Cryptocoins got more popular than in 2011 - 2013. The new generation of Cryptocoins 2015 and afterwards are endangered by ASICS once again, and 2018 looks to be the year of per the title "GPU mining will die in 2018!".

Keep in mind that there are possible ASICS for ethash already for Q1, and even if ETH goes POS, ETC and other ethash coins will be only ASICS and if that happens only Equihash coins will be minable for a time and I have a word that there is already an ASIC in development for Equihash already and will start delivering in Q4 2018. As GPU mining keep gets scarce, other popular coins will have pumps and so ASICS will be born for them.

I want to know your thoughts about it and I wonder the limits of --> "where, there is money to be made, there is greedy"

Keep in mind that this price crashing we are seeing is due also to the fear of ASICS for most GPU mining coins.

All of this not even mentioning the fact that there is still other hardware better than GPUs. I'm currently mining algos at 10x-60x h/w and 1x-10x h/$ increases over gpus. I also know with 100% certainty I'm not the only one doing it.

RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:31:42 PM

Turned off one of GPU's today.

UK is officially over for GPU mining unless the prices pick up by 3 fold.

Merit me or don't.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 01:49:49 PM

You only turned off one gpu?  Lol ... Why would you only turn one gpu off and keep the rest on?

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Swanson

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 02:10:41 PM

More new coins with low difficulty will be announced. Gpus are less risky investment then asics
Ayuluv2001

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 02:48:26 PM

More new coins with low difficulty will be announced. Gpus are less risky investment then asics

thats a good news in a certain way Smiley

GPU miner supporter here
UrsaUrsa

Activity: 104
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 02:55:50 PM

Did you make it official? I'll wait for the letter then!

Also please do let me know when you out your GPU's on gumtree. I don't mind snatching them up since they make no money, it's official! Smiley
klepikolse

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 06:39:02 PM

Is the electricity so expensive that it leaves you with no profit? Do you understad that later your GPU will mine even less than now? I dont understand your position at all, it certainly looks a pose

THE GOVERNMENT NETWORK                                                                                                    
The 1st Decentralized Borderless Nation   ||   Be a Pioneer, Participate in Our Crowdsale!
Whitepaper          Lite Paper          Telegram          Facebook          Twitter          Medium          Github
Efemen

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 08:11:15 PM

Is the electricity so expensive that it leaves you with no profit? Do you understad that later your GPU will mine even less than now? I dont understand your position at all, it certainly looks a pose

If it is not profitable to mine, then it is better to buy the coins directly.
gotminer

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 08:22:01 PM

If it is not profitable to mine, then it is better to buy the coins directly.

As opposed to building a new mining rig at the present time?  Yes, I am buying btc and eth like it's the sale of the century during these times. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 08:44:11 PM

As opposed to building a new mining rig at the present time?  Yes, I am buying btc and eth like it's the sale of the century during these times. 

Plan A:

Buy every GPU you can find and mine.

Plan B:

If plan A doesn't work buy every BTC & ETH you can find and HODL.

Plan C:

WTF, do we need one?
Metroid (OP)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:35:49 PM

right now if you have the money then only buy coins, sale will end very soon, 10 April, i see these prices to last few more days and then price 2x and then your best bet is to buy gpus and mine, well you still have the choice to buy coins with a good price.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
gotminer

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:50:17 PM

right now if you have the money then only buy coins, sale will end very soon, 10 April, i see these prices to last few more days and then price 2x

That would be nice.

dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 05:50:39 PM

Losses should be stopped. It is just simple
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 06:10:44 PM

Things are getting interesting. Seems like Monero, Ethereum won't allow ASICs to get to success easily. I'm sure AMD and nVidia (GPU manufacturers) from back-end must be trying their level best as well to keep GPU mining going. The developer who created the pull request at Ethereum github for network upgrade (to remain ASIC-resistant) might be one of AMD's or nVidia's men as well.

Stupid Vitalik opposing the upgrade right now, I hope he re-considers his opposition, as Ethereum community wants GPU-mining to remain alive...

https://www.coindesk.com/no-action-vitalik-opposes-plan-disable-ethereum-asics/

On the other hand, chaos of Monero upgrade picking up.

All in all, I no more think that GPU mining is dying this year. Smiley
hummer113

Activity: 686
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2018, 07:19:46 PM

Things are getting interesting. Seems like Monero, Ethereum won't allow ASICs to get to success easily. I'm sure AMD and nVidia (GPU manufacturers) from back-end must be trying their level best as well to keep GPU mining going. The developer who created the pull request at Ethereum github for network upgrade (to remain ASIC-resistant) might be one of AMD's or nVidia's men as well.

Stupid Vitalik opposing the upgrade right now, I hope he re-considers his opposition, as Ethereum community wants GPU-mining to remain alive...

https://www.coindesk.com/no-action-vitalik-opposes-plan-disable-ethereum-asics/

On the other hand, chaos of Monero upgrade picking up.

All in all, I no more think that GPU mining is dying this year. Smiley

I fully agree with you, Vitalik should understand everything and go to meet the community, yet large asik miners are aimed only at profit here and now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: