Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:34:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on WiFi  (Read 902 times)
Amstellodamois (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:52:18 PM

I know it's advised to use an ethernet connection but...

So, if you have to use a WiFi connection, how do you do it? Use a USB adapter? setup a WiFi router near the rig to create a sub-network?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
Merited by dbshck (2)

So, if you have to use a WiFi connection, how do you do it? Use a USB adapter? setup a WiFi router near the rig to create a sub-network?

If your home does not already have a wireless router, than obviously you'd have to set one up. (Depending on the quality of the wireless adapter, if your router is far from the rig, you may want a repeater or additional router.) A USB wireless adapter should work fine. Mining does not require much bandwidth; the main things are reliability and latency.

Ethernet is typically more reliable and offers lower latency (and hopefully fewer stale shares, where another miner "beat you to the punch"), in most cases. Usually the difference is negligible, unless one of them happens to be very poor.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:26:56 PM
Merited by dbshck (2)

As Undefined said, mining is all about latency not bandwidth, so just focus on that.  One mistake I've seen people on the forum make repeatedly is to pick up a WiFi to Ethernet bridge to run cat5 into their computer - this is almost always a worse setup unless you're able to reposition the bridge in some way you wouldn't be able to move an external antenna.  If you're running linux, make sure to pay attention to not just signal strength, but link quality, which makes it easy to gauge performance in terms of AP->Computer and Computer->AP.

Once you get it setup, then just run a ping to your gateway, and make sure you see stable times and low to no packet loss - if you do that, you should be good to go.  But if you start doing more mining or whatever, keep in mind that wired will always be better and will eliminate another potential source of problems, which is half of what mining is it seems like.  Wink
Amstellodamois (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:54:45 PM

As Undefined said, mining is all about latency not bandwidth, so just focus on that.  One mistake I've seen people on the forum make repeatedly is to pick up a WiFi to Ethernet bridge to run cat5 into their computer - this is almost always a worse setup unless you're able to reposition the bridge in some way you wouldn't be able to move an external antenna.
That's exactly what I was wondering! So a USB adapter with an antenna, rather than ethernet cable to a WiFi access point of some sort.
PetrovichCoinMaster

Activity: 224
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:14:05 PM

If I considered the option to connect my rig via wifi, then I would definitely buy a motherboard with built-in wifi receiver. This is much safer because I tried to connect via USB adapter, and experienced frequent disconnects. Maybe it's me not so lucky.
Amstellodamois (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:17:33 PM

When you have built-in WiFi, have you the possibility to add an antenna?

(Asking although I already ordered my ASUS PRIME Z270-A)
PetrovichCoinMaster

Activity: 224
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 11:31:43 PM

When you have built-in WiFi, have you the possibility to add an antenna?

(Asking although I already ordered my ASUS PRIME Z270-A)
I read in the description of several motherboards that have a socket for the antenna.
gfigg42

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:47:12 AM

I just built my rig and have been mining with it on the workbench until I get it completely buttoned up. I'm using a wifi adapter and I have no problem.

Not sure on my uptime but here are the stats reported by the API right now:

Speed (Sols / S)
Power (Watts)
Efficiency (Sols / W)
Accepted
Rejected

I think it's fine as long as the wifi is solid. I my case it's just about 15 feet away but I'd have to run an Ethernet cable across the floor so I'm just using wifi for now.
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 12:59:56 AM

I use this and it's rock solid. I have 300 mb internet and I'm getting close to 100 on this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEU7UZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:18:33 AM

I used my phone as a hotspot for 20 rigs for a month - no hashrate loss poolside so it was nice and stable.

What I did though was configure my DD-WRT router to bridge the Phones signal, then ran the Cat5 cables to all the rigs instead of using WiFi for all of them. Actually I could only run 5 devices off hotspot so that's also the bonus of bridging to your router.

1/2 the rigs didn't have WiFi - the ones that did were all internal chips but it was unreliable connecting via the onboard WiFi.

once I switched to the router, I had no issues using my hotspot.

The good thing too is you can move the Router anywhere, because the Router is picking up your phone's signal, and then just routing it via the Cat5.
adam205611

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:33:36 AM

My wireless i a bit unstable.  Any recommendations on solid wireless routers with a proven track record?
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:44:29 AM

Netgear Nighthawk
sjyi

Merit: 1

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:45:26 AM

My wireless i a bit unstable.  Any recommendations on solid wireless routers with a proven track record?

I don't know about proven track record but I've used many different LinkSys with no problems.  I've also used various Netgear, Securify Almond and TP-Link with no problem.  I did have a problem with a cheap TP-Link, I think it was about $20.  I'd stay away from the cheap devices.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:16:34 AM

I have been mining on Wi-fi since I started and have zero issues.  If you connection is stable with a good provider there is no reason you HAVE to do a wired connection.  A USB adapter works just fine.
BigBossUSA

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:42:11 AM

You could connect the miner to the wifi adapter using ethernet. Then connect the wifi adapter to your wifi. That's at least one inexpensive way to do it.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:45:42 AM

The more I see people say they've been running rigs on wifi, the more I believe that it "can" be stable, if you have quality hardware.  I just don't personally trust it.  Don't go cheap on anything, if you're doing wifi though.  And consider the distance.  If you have a quality wifi router that sits in the same room as your mining rigs, it could provide a very stable connection.

For me it was just cheaper to buy a 75ft cat6 cable to run through the ceiling in my office (where my router is) to my mining room.  Less than $20 for the cable and around $30 for the 8 port gigabit switch.  $50USD is less than what I would have spent buying usb wifi adapters for four mining rigs and I have the stability of a hardwire connection.  

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Dimedroll

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 02:50:37 AM

I have been mining on Wi-fi two weeks and have zero issues.  If you connection is stable with a good provider there is no reason you HAVE to do a wired connection.  A USB adapter works just fine.

TP-LINK Kiss
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:19:10 AM

I have been mining on Wi-fi two weeks and have zero issues.  If you connection is stable with a good provider there is no reason you HAVE to do a wired connection.  A USB adapter works just fine.

TP-LINK Kiss

Good stable provider is a given.  You certainly need that.  That's going to go down even if you are hardwired.  If the internet connection isn't there, it makes no difference.  Please use good hardware (wifi router, extender, adapters) if you are going to use wifi.  And take into consideration the distance between the router and the wifi adapter. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Amstellodamois (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:08:04 PM

Bought that: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00416Q5KI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We'll see if it's stable enough.
polymer_city2

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 01:55:36 PM

Not sure if this is any help

I have a whole farm running from a USB wifi adapter

Alfa AWUS036NH

The guy still hasn't put the internet in, so I have this bridged with a PC which feeds 2 x 24 port network switches via Ethernet.

It works perfectly fine!

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: