Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:07:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't be a hypocrite  (Read 2528 times)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:05:00 PM

Satoshi mined  more than 1M BTC or 100M USD at current change from 1/3/2009 to 1/25/2010 (block 0 to block 36288). This assumption is based on the Total Network Strength
(Mhash/s) that was constant at 7 Mhash/s for this period of time.

Really what a lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Anyway, let's not get sidetracked. Let's get back on the topic of pre-mining..., (which your story had no relevance to.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Loki8

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Everybody knows  Satoshi (pre)mined millions btc but it's his  business, he invented something like Bill Gates with Microsoft, Steve Jobs with Apple or Mark Zuckerberg with Facebook.

Still false even though I liked how you try to spin it as good thing.  

Satoshi mined  more than 1M BTC or 100M USD at current change from 1/3/2009 to 1/25/2010 (block 0 to block 36288). This assumption is based on the Total Network Strength
(Mhash/s) that was constant at 7 Mhash/s for this period of time.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&key=0AmcTCtjBoRWUdHVRMHpqWUJValI1RlZiaEtCT1RrQmc&hl=en&gid=0

Which isn't a premine.  The topic wasn't "is it ok for developers to mine their own coin after launch"  if it was then Satoshi post launch activities might be relevent.  Still including the (pre) is just false anyway you try to spin it.

When Satoshi released the bitcoin software,  he did not advertise, this forum didn't even exist yet.
I follow tech news a lot  and I didn't even know a project like this was in the works.

If I launch my own coin without announcement on this website, do you consider I would mine fairly?
ToxicDartFrog

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 03:32:00 AM

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 10:54:23 AM

Say I launch an alt-coin today. Full source code, compiled binaries, no premine (even genesis block unspendable), high starting difficulty so early blocks take LONGER (about 20-30 minutes per block due to low hashing power).   Now say most people ignore it because they think the idea is stupid and can't work. If it became popular a year later would you accuse me of "premining" it because others couldn't be bothered to download the client and try it?

The claims of a pre-mine are never supported.  They are just slander to provide moral equivalence for those that do.
This.
Stop trying to scam with your premine coins and try to make it look like the right thing to do.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 05:42:08 PM

When Satoshi released the bitcoin software,  he did not advertise, this forum didn't even exist yet.
I follow tech news a lot  and I didn't even know a project like this was in the works.

If I launch my own coin without announcement on this website, do you consider I would mine fairly?

The site didn't exist the project began in a place where it would find possible supporters a cryptography newsgroup.  He wrote and published the white paper nearly a year before the launch and was active on the newsgroups both before and after the launch.

If you launched something under similar circumstances yes I would say you launched it fairly.  I would also point out with a high difficulty getting in on day one was really that important.  This is different than launching something with a difficulty of zero so that the equivalent of 200 days worth of blocks are mined in the first fourty eight hours.  That isn't fair regardless of if it is advertised here or not.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:41:31 PM

may surprise you but btt is hardly the center of the crypto world, or cyber currencies, just the center of the crypto scamcoin world.
just_me (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:25:32 AM

Wow, this topic really is popular. I thank you very much to people who kindly supported my reasoning.

I am glad I am not the only one.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:31:32 AM

Even if Satoshi bought publicity with all major agency about no one would have mined when Bitcoin value was ~0. He did not start this project with the goal to become an instant millionaire like most alt-coin since then. Some peoples are passionate about a subject and become rich as a side effect.
just_me (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:26:12 AM

Even if Satoshi bought publicity with all major agency about no one would have mined when Bitcoin value was ~0. He did not start this project with the goal to become an instant millionaire like most alt-coin since then. Some peoples are passionate about a subject and become rich as a side effect.

I also believe that people need to show regards for other people, or treat others the way you would be treated yourself.

just_me (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:01:44 AM

It only makes sense to have a limited and controlled premine, so that the persons doing all the work for the coin have somewhat to pay them for their hard work.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:27:19 AM

I say shit and I know it

Smart people don't buy your bullshit

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
2Kool4Skewl

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:35:13 AM

Everybody knows  Satoshi (pre)mined millions btc but it's his  business, he invented something like Bill Gates with Microsoft, Steve Jobs with Apple or Mark Zuckerberg with Facebook.

The Winklevoss brothers created "Facebook".  Zuckerberg is a thief.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 03:45:38 PM

The Winklevoss brothers created "Facebook".  Zuckerberg is a thief.
didn't Gates also buy the first OS from someone for a very small amount of $? Theoretically stealing the idea?
and yes, you're right.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:54:33 PM

didn't Gates also buy the first OS from someone for a very small amount of $? Theoretically stealing the idea?

Um buying isn't stealing.  Did all the people who bought Bitcoins for $0.01 "steal" them from the people who voluntarily decided to sell them at that price?  I am pretty sure even Gates had no idea how big Microsoft would eventually get.  The seller could have accepted (highly risky) equity in the startup instead.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 04:30:00 PM

Um buying isn't stealing.  Did all the people who bought Bitcoins for $0.01 "steal" them from the people who voluntarily decided to sell them at that price?  I am pretty sure even Gates had no idea how big Microsoft would eventually get.  The seller could have accepted (highly risky) equity in the startup instead.
I asked, I've watched something somewhere long ago so that randomly came to me, I had forgotten about it (possibly this redbull doing its magic).
You're right. Anyhow, Satoshi deserved his coins, and maybe a few other altcoin developers too (@POS developer), but 99% of the others don't. I could just go and create a new coin within a few hours, fork an exsisting one and change a few things. That is a lot of hard work, one deserves to get rewarded for it.. not.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:57:12 PM

I have to remind that being a hypocrite could be harmful for health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX7tbhK7WRs

Grin
pikeadz

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:28:44 PM

you're not the boss of me.
Lauda
Legendary