Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:09:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Questions  (Read 571 times)
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 01:12:36 AM
Merited by vv181 (6), OmegaStarScream (2), DannyHamilton (2), TheQuin (1), shorena (1)

I consider joining in and be #reckless. I have some design questions though. Under the premise that I mostly dont want to spend funds and want to help process transactions and establish cheap path's along the network. Currently the topology[1] looks to me like there are a couple main hubs and everyone else just attaches to them.
Currently the network is still fairly small. But if you look closely, the network is really not a hub and spoke network. Even if many people have channels with these "main hubs", many of those nodes also have channels with other nodes too. The "hubs" thing right now is probably because there are only a few services that accept LN on mainnet and people are just connecting directly to them in order to pay.

#1 (how connect?) What would be a good approach to establish alternative paths? Connect to all bigger hubs, e.g. all with x+ connections? Or rather establish a connection between other nodes within the network that are not already connected via a single hop?
I suggest you take a look at how LND does autopilot mode. It takes in various inputs and uses a model to figure out what channels are the bets to open. You can read about it in the release notes here: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/releases/tag/v0.3-alpha

#2 (resource requirements?) What (additional) resources are required? Has anyone data on this? I consider upgrading my server anyway, so this would be a good switching point.
LND does not need much more resources than those that are already required for running a full node (because you need a full node). You can also not run a full node and instead run it in SPV mode which uses BIP 157.

#3 (minimal funds/channel?) The current total capacity is only(?) ~3.68 BTC (again according to[1]), what would be - in your opinion - a good amount to put aside per channel? As much as possible obviously, but at which point does it become too little? Considering I plan to invest X amount of BTC this "minimal amount" would limit the number of channel I could reasonably keep open.
The current protocol limits channels to 2^24 (16777216) satoshis. There is no minimum funds; you can open channels or request channels to be opened where you provide no funds into the channel. IMO putting 0.01 BTC in a channel is reasonable.

#4 (is much work?) How much maintainance is needed? Funds would move between channels, but the main flow may be in a certain direction along the path. Because people just buy stickers instead of sending funds back and forth. Has anyone any experience with this yet?
At least on testnet, there doesn't seem to need much maintenance. The available software are capable of handling things automagically.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Enre (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 256

ICO Accelerator & Consultant

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 03:13:58 PM

LND seems like the go-to implementation of LN

Is there any benchmark we can see to compare performance/functionality of the different implementations?
I want to eventually make a service instead of using LN as an end user, and I'd want to see what's more appropriate
ChiBitCTy
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 3008

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:41:26 PM

Here is a well layed out article that explains how Lighting Network works in lamens terms. I highly recommended reading this! https://medium.com/@melik_87377/lightning-network-enables-unicast-transactions-in-bitcoin-lightning-is-bitcoins-tcp-ip-stack-8ec1d42c14f5

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 03:18:29 AM

I work in real stores. Next to my stores there are several others. Each one uses its own payment structure with credit cards and cash registers. In this case, if bitcoin was to be accepted, would it be interesting for all stores to open a single payment channel? Would it be the most economical solution? Or in stores is it always more interesting to have a single channel?
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 07:48:02 PM

Although i don't have a core knowledge of lightning network but what i understood till now is you can send through your friend channel as far it has a valid route and is connected with your channel.
Yes it allows channel relays and that's how the lightning network is working, because the payment can never be processed without the channel relays in indirectly connected network.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: