Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:00:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I clone repo, make PoW easier and create fake Bitcoin ?  (Read 213 times)
5n31k (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2019, 03:18:48 PM

Hi,

Maybe I have stupid ideas, but I need your help to understand better Bitcoin.

I newbie in Bitcoin and I was thinking about cloning github repo, modify code and make PoW easier, to create new fake Bitcoins. I was not thinking about existing Bitcoin network, I was thinking about creating another parallel network that mining Bitcoin is easier. And then exchange Bitcoin to create confusion and maybe inflation.

Is that possible? Why is/isn't possible? I think that I have not all Bitcoin topics clear, so I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4451

View Profile
January 03, 2019, 04:01:14 PM

as soon as you make it different where the PoW is easier (EG algo change)
the algo's wont match. so your blocks would get rejected within 2 seconds of being seen.

if you just tried to mine your chain at a constant low difficulty to get to block 5***** to surpass bitcoins block height. it wont matter. because bitcoin nodes will have a higher accumulation of the hashes security and would again reject blocks/blockchains displaying less security

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
5n31k (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2019, 04:20:38 PM

I don't totally understand your answer, sorry.

I think that you are talking about the "official" nodes of Bitcoin, when you say that my blocks will be rejected. But if there are other nodes on another network, not on official Bitcoin network, they will be rejected too? I mean, those rules that reject Bitcoin blocks, will reject my blocks on another parallel network?

Thanks franky1
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4451

View Profile
January 03, 2019, 04:50:47 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2019, 05:02:20 PM by franky1

I don't totally understand your answer, sorry.

I think that you are talking about the "official" nodes of Bitcoin, when you say that my blocks will be rejected. But if there are other nodes on another network, not on official Bitcoin network, they will be rejected too? I mean, those rules that reject Bitcoin blocks, will reject my blocks on another parallel network?

Thanks franky1

if you change a node to have different rules. only nodes that agree with YOUR rules will accept them
(thus you are just making an altcoin)
people running bitcoin nodes will not get your coin because your coin is not on the bitcoin network. thus no confusion
as the 2 networks wont co-mingle

you are not making fake bitcoins. you are making an altcoin.
there are already atleast a few hundred networks with coins that took the bitcoin code and changed many things
there are already atleast a dozen networks with 'near' claims of being the same as bitcoin

but no one gives a crap about them. no one cares about them as they do not impact bitcoin

you can try and play the social drama games.
such as NXT tried with "bitcoin2.0" in 2013 .. but people laughed and dismissed it
such as BCH tried with "bitcoin cash" in 2017 .. people laughed and dismissed it(some still poke at irrelevant social drama)

but the only way to actually claim to be bitcoin. would to actually surpass bitcoin where your network takes it over

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
5n31k (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2019, 09:10:30 AM

Thanks for the answer.

if you change a node to have different rules. only nodes that agree with YOUR rules will accept them

Of course, so, I can create my Bitcoin cash in my own network. And If I can sell it in a fake exchange, to people that think my Bitcoins are real, they will have fake Bitcoins. There are not going to be useful, but there will be lots of fake Bitcoins. It is a possibility of fraud.

Im speculating, but I cant understand how can we trust in Bitcoin if this possibility exists. I mean, there is not a way to validate a real Bitcoin before we buy it?

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
January 04, 2019, 10:11:13 AM

Thanks for the answer.

Of course, so, I can create my Bitcoin cash in my own network. And If I can sell it in a fake exchange, to people that think my Bitcoins are real, they will have fake Bitcoins. There are not going to be useful, but there will be lots of fake Bitcoins. It is a possibility of fraud.

Im speculating, but I cant understand how can we trust in Bitcoin if this possibility exists. I mean, there is not a way to validate a real Bitcoin before we buy it?

So you want to create a fork of bitcoin that will masquerade as the real bitcoin, and sell it to a fake fraudulent exchange? You don't even need to fork or you don't even need a blockchain if you're just going to use a fake exchange to start with. You just can change the values of the supposedly account's held bitcoin through the database.

I don't think this kind of scam is really new. I don't have any proof, but I'm sure this has been at least attempted before.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
muslol67

Activity: 1582
Merit: 670

View Profile
January 04, 2019, 10:14:18 AM

Hi,

Maybe I have stupid ideas, but I need your help to understand better Bitcoin.

I newbie in Bitcoin and I was thinking about cloning github repo, modify code and make PoW easier, to create new fake Bitcoins. I was not thinking about existing Bitcoin network, I was thinking about creating another parallel network that mining Bitcoin is easier. And then exchange Bitcoin to create confusion and maybe inflation.

Is that possible? Why is/isn't possible? I think that I have not all Bitcoin topics clear, so I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

I'm sure dozens of people have tried this. But the HASH power of the miners comes into play here. It doesn't make sense unless you get more. If you can achieve so much HASH power, there's no point in doing that. The Bitcoins you'll dig up will save you enough.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
January 05, 2019, 06:20:03 AM

imagine a $1 bill in your mind (if you can't just google the picture). if you buy a printer, copy the design then change the background color to pink for example, change the font, change the size of the paper,... and print it then it won't be a $1 bill anymore. it will be a 1 somethingelse currency which is created by you and will only be accepted by whoever chooses to follow your print instead of the original print.

your question is the same as this one. when you change the consensus rules of bitcoin (changing PoW in this case) the coins you are creating are no longer bitcoin because they don't look like bitcoin and will be considered an alternative.
it won't be "fake bitcoin" it will be "alternative bitcoin".
the way it technically works is a bit complicated but basically it is every node verifying everything they receive and when something doesn't check out (like consensus rules) they simply reject it as invalid.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: