Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:47:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Segwit Address for android that is compatible with Ledger Nano  (Read 270 times)
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:07:48 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2019, 04:13:06 PM by bL4nkcode

I've been searching throughout the internet but can't find any accurate answer for it. I have ledger and I'm using electrum and mycelium for the legacy and currently using electrum for the segwit.

Now I want to use segwit in android so I can use it anytime and anywhere I want. So mycelium is my only hope but still they're not supporting segwit until now. So what can you suggest.

Just to update this thread, as mycelium update its wallet with a segwit compatible of hardware wallet (ledger nano) to mycelium wallet which what I'm looking for. [...]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 03:25:36 PM

Now I want to use segwit in android so I can use it anytime and anywhere I want. So mycelium is my only hope but still they're not supporting segwit until now. So what can you suggest.

Why don't you look into Electrum for android? I just installed it to see if their mobile client is Segwit ready, and they indeed do allow you to generate a Segwit based address. I haven't tested it by moving funds back and forth with Segwit since I don't transact very often, but it should work just fine. It has a fairly low app store rating, but let that not distract you. In most cases people give a lower rating because of them not understanding the app, or that they demand more fancy features.
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:01:12 PM

Why don't you look into Electrum for android? I just installed it to see if their mobile client is Segwit ready, and they indeed do allow you to generate a Segwit based address. I haven't tested it by moving funds back and forth with Segwit since I don't transact very often, but it should work just fine. It has a fairly low app store rating, but let that not distract you. In most cases people give a lower rating because of them not understanding the app, or that they demand more fancy features.

Yes, electrum for android supports segwit but I want to use my Ledger nano s segwit address to use in android wallet like what mycelium do with legacy.
But unfortunately electrum for android doesn't even support any hardware wallet.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 04:29:16 PM

Yes, electrum for android supports segwit but I want to use my Ledger nano s segwit address to use in android wallet like what mycelium do with legacy.
But unfortunately electrum for android doesn't even support any hardware wallet.
Yeah I am also waiting for mycelium to support segwit. I think that's you best bet, bucuase the only other segwit enabled mobile wallet I know is samourai and I don't think it supports hardware wallets yet. It's still a unreleased app and they are updating it frequently, with the current track record of mycelium I wouldn't be surprised if samourai adds support for hardware wallet before mycelium implements segwit.
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:13:28 AM

I’m using greenaddress wallet which supports segwit.
they have two android application native application and Cordova application.[1]
also, support Hardware wallet & can use private keys /mnemonics to sweep your bitcoins into electrum.

Source: https://greenaddress.it/en/faq.html

I can't find where do I have to import or add my ledger nano on greenaddress' both 2 android app with segwit enabled, and likewise I can't find any information/instructions on ledger's main website.
h0lybyte

Activity: 924
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 05:02:10 AM

It is likely to show your balance as  empty in electrum when you import via Ledger Nano's seed even when selecting BIP39,  Do follow the settings to setup your segwit wallet with electrum.
1. While importing 12 digit  seed into electrum, you must choose /m/49'/0'/0' instead of /m/44'/0'/0' . You will now see the balance of your Ledger Nano's wallet into electrum.
Do these simple steps and let others know if it works for you
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:20:56 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2018, 07:38:12 AM by bL4nkcode

It is likely to show your balance as  empty in electrum when you import via Ledger Nano's seed even when selecting BIP39,  Do follow the settings to setup your segwit wallet with electrum.
1. While importing 12 digit  seed into electrum, you must choose /m/49'/0'/0' instead of /m/44'/0'/0' . You will now see the balance of your Ledger Nano's wallet into electrum.
Do these simple steps and let others know if it works for you

Please read the whole thread before replying, its like your reply is a spam and off topic here. I'm using segwit in electrum already.

And seriously its a crazy and stupid idea to import your ledger's seed in any wallet even in electrum as there's a recent vulnerability on this wallet. And what 12 digit you're saying? Does ledger have 12 seed? Lol. Please make some decent research first before teaching others.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:14:36 PM

I’m using greenaddress wallet which supports segwit.
they have two android application native application and Cordova application.[1]
also, support Hardware wallet & can use private keys /mnemonics to sweep your bitcoins into electrum.

Source: https://greenaddress.it/en/faq.html

I can't find where do I have to import or add my ledger nano on greenaddress' both 2 android app with segwit enabled, and likewise I can't find any information/instructions on ledger's main website.
some functionality currently requires use of the  GreenAddress desktop app (initializing hardware wallets).[1]
To initialize your Ledger Nano with the GreenAddress wallet, you have to do this with the Chrome application.[2].
just follow two tutorials.
I hope this is the solution to your problem
Thanks for the links! i've also been looking for an android wallet that supports segwit. but i'm not sure i'll be willing to wipe my hardware wallet just to get segwit support on android. i would rather wait for mycelium to support it.
Let's say even if i do it, would i be able to import my wallet/do transaction with mycelium?
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:24:19 PM

I have two questions:
Isn't greenaddress holding the private keys?
Edit: Ah, now I remember. We keep private keys but can't sign messages.
Which exchangers are already supporting Segwit?
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:41:06 AM

some functionality currently requires use of the  GreenAddress desktop app (initializing hardware wallets).[1]
To initialize your Ledger Nano with the GreenAddress wallet, you have to do this with the Chrome application.[2].
Thank you for those links will try it later once I get home.

--snip--
Which exchangers are already supporting Segwit?
AFAIK most popular or common exchanges supports segwit address already except the bech32 format which is uncommon wallet address that starts at bc1
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:13:02 AM

Seems I'm not willing to wipe my ledger nano with greenaddress  to use segwit only on android with the method of greenaddress.

--snip--
i would rather wait for mycelium to support it.
Let's say even if i do it, would i be able to import my wallet/do transaction with mycelium?

Of course, yes, if mycelium do already support segwit and what's the import thing you are saying.
bL4nkcode (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2019, 04:12:16 PM
Merited by DarkStar_ (1)

Just to update this thread, as mycelium update its wallet with a segwit compatible from hardware wallet (ledger nano, etc.) to mycelium wallet which what I'm looking for.

Locking...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: