Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:53:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Cure Cancer, Solve World Hunger, Help Africa & Discover Some New Species  (Read 2115 times)
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 03:30:02 AM

1. Cancer- More Cannabis research, as well as testing out new things. Many Cancer patients are told that they are inoperable, and that treatment is helpless. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find cancer patients to test new rainforest plants and research chemical effects on their cancer, as long as regular human tests were done first.

2. World Hunger- GMOs are hated on like they are straight up poisons, all GMO means is "Genetically Modified Organism", which can range anywhere from a plants genetics being manipulated to produce more seed or fruit, to splicing the DNA of a jelly-fish into the genes of a pig. While it is true we shouldn't be putting corn on the market that has jelly fish DNA, or that produce their own pesticides. It is also true that if used properly, GMOs could solve the worlds food shortage, and actually give us a surplus.

3. Help Africa- We need to write history books, philosophy books and more that AREN'T meant for 1st world English students. Then we can begin to educate the world about itself. I am friends with a Nigerian who works for the government, and he said he never took a history class his entire educative career.
I was watching an idiot abroad, and it only costs around $700 to build a little house for a family in Africa... I don't see why it's not solved yet.

4. Discovering New Species- This goes hand in hand with Africa, World Hunger AND Cancer research. The Rainforests of the world need to be searched for new species of plants for cancer research, as well as new species that may be able to be bred with or spliced into the plants we currently use to make them have higher yields or more/less seeds, which in turn helps world hunger.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:52:08 PM

2. World Hunger- GMOs are hated on like they are straight up poisons, all GMO means is "Genetically Modified Organism", which can range anywhere from a plants genetics being manipulated to produce more seed or fruit, to splicing the DNA of a jelly-fish into the genes of a pig. While it is true we shouldn't be putting corn on the market that has jelly fish DNA, or that produce their own pesticides. It is also true that if used properly, GMOs could solve the worlds food shortage, and actually give us a surplus.

Unfortunately Monsanto does not care about world hunger. They treat the people of developing countries like shit. If they're not screwing them out of money or food they're straight up gassing them.

3. Help Africa- We need to write history books, philosophy books and more that AREN'T meant for 1st world English students. Then we can begin to educate the world about itself. I am friends with a Nigerian who works for the government, and he said he never took a history class his entire educative career.
I was watching an idiot abroad, and it only costs around $700 to build a little house for a family in Africa... I don't see why it's not solved yet.

There's more than enough wealth for the people of Africa. The problem is getting people to invest. Unfortunately we're stuck in a vicious cycle: People won't invest in Africa because many of the countries there are unstable, but there's no possibility for stability when African economies have no investors. Luckily it seems as though China is starting to take an interest. Hopefully their efforts will allow economies there to grow and this will end some of the chaos.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:23:16 PM

Unfortunately Monsanto does not care about world hunger. They treat the people of developing countries like shit. If they're not screwing them out of money or food they're straight up gassing them.

There's more than enough wealth for the people of Africa. The problem is getting people to invest. Unfortunately we're stuck in a vicious cycle: People won't invest in Africa because many of the countries there are unstable, but there's no possibility for stability when African economies have no investors. Luckily it seems as though China is starting to take an interest. Hopefully their efforts will allow economies there to grow and this will end some of the chaos.

If Monsanto doesn't care about world hunger, then it is the job of the people who research GMOs to work towards doing good things, and supporting good GMO producers.

You can't just come in and say "Monsanto" and suddenly I'm wrong.

MORE THAN ENOUGH WEALTH FOR THE PEOPLE IN AFRICA, that's a fucking joke.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:24:34 PM

The only other 2 things in the entire world that really need to be done, is:

1. The Abolition of the Private Vatican (not its traditions, just its secrecy), with a new democratic policy. Meaning every catholic bishops and cardinals, in EVERY country has their masses vote. Then a new pope is chosen. This will firstly open up the Vatican's ranks to the world, secondly it will make it where the people get to choose where the money they donate is going (not directly, but at least by representative).

This would also lead to a revolution in the church around the rest of the world, which means we will be electing priests and cardinals in our own towns eventually.

2. Abolition of the Royal family (not the traditions, just the bloodline). We need more marriages like Kate, where REGULAR people join the family. First off, I can't believe they just inbreed within their 300 families. 2nd, they have tons of money and make more every day, that doesn't need to be kept away from the people of the UK, let alone the people of the world.

Katrina Elisse Caudle

Activity: 161

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:29:01 PM

Actually, a less wasteful food production system would solve this problem just fine. We actually already produce enough food. Production isn't the issue. It's the waste factor. Our food systems are dinosaurs that generate a ton of food waste through spoilage, shipping to far off places, and sacrificing quality for quantity. Using local food, planting species that work harmonious to the environment they're in (shock!) and expanding our knowledge of what is actually edible in our environment would be way more effective in fighting world hunger. Besides the pounds and pounds of food the go to waste in the grocery store, etc - there are a huge amount of plant species that are edible, grow freely, and people don't even realize. Lettuce is a weak vegetable. It doesn't have a lot of nutrients and yet we grow tons of it. Plantain, Lamb's Quarters, Purslane, etc are among the many green leafy things that grow wild (you probably have them in your backyard) and are way healthier for you than lettuce. The average person would starve in a forest, despite there being at least a dozen edible species within a few feet of them.

And yes, GMOs are messed up. Human beings are way less accomplished at the game of life than Nature is. GMOS aren't great for people or animals (Allergies and Gastrointestinal diseases anyone?), they create bad plants who are weak (through survival orchestrated through humans as opposed to natural ability) and they're like using a sledgehammer to solve a problem that could be solved by educating ourselves or, god-forbid in this world where lumbering systems refuse to die, adjusting our behaviour.

J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 05:31:24 PM

If Monsanto doesn't care about world hunger, then it is the job of the people who research GMOs to work towards doing good things, and supporting good GMO producers.

You can't just come in and say "Monsanto" and suddenly I'm wrong.

Yes I can. Monsanto is the main producer of GMOs. They basically have a monopoly. But they do not care at all about making genetically engineered crops for the greater good.

MORE THAN ENOUGH WEALTH FOR THE PEOPLE IN AFRICA, that's a fucking joke.

How is there not enough wealth? The entire continent of Africa's GDP is about 1.476 trillion. That is about 1/57 of the World's GDP. If wealth was distributed even remotely evenly, Africa's GDP could increase dramatically.
Katrina Elisse Caudle

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:32:07 PM

The only other 2 things in the entire world that really need to be done, is:

1. The Abolition of the Private Vatican (not its traditions, just its secrecy), with a new democratic policy. Meaning every catholic bishops and cardinals, in EVERY country has their masses vote. Then a new pope is chosen. This will firstly open up the Vatican's ranks to the world, secondly it will make it where the people get to choose where the money they donate is going (not directly, but at least by representative).

This would also lead to a revolution in the church around the rest of the world, which means we will be electing priests and cardinals in our own towns eventually.

2. Abolition of the Royal family (not the traditions, just the bloodline). We need more marriages like Kate, where REGULAR people join the family. First off, I can't believe they just inbreed within their 300 families. 2nd, they have tons of money and make more every day, that doesn't need to be kept away from the people of the UK, let alone the people of the world.

1 - I want to see more cities with cult leaders! Why are the Catholics the only one who get their own city??? I'm putting in proposal to quarter off a section of Vancouver for a Pagan leader with a shiny hat and lots of gold.

2. This is silly. The Royal Family is useless and irrelevant to modern politics. They're for mass-entertainment, charity events, and celebrity-gossip.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:49:02 PM

Yes I can. Monsanto is the main producer of GMOs. They basically have a monopoly. But they do not care at all about making genetically engineered crops for the greater good.

How is there not enough wealth? The entire continent of Africa's GDP is about 1.476 trillion. That is about 1/57 of the World's GDP. If wealth was distributed even remotely evenly, Africa's GDP could increase dramatically.

Lol, "Main Producer" and "Sole Producer" are two different things. I am not talking about ANY GMOs related to Monsanto in any way.

You can't judge a people's wealth based on the continent. That's like saying Mexico and El Salvador are fine because America brings up the GDP of North America, that's just fuckin stupid.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

1 - I want to see more cities with cult leaders! Why are the Catholics the only one who get their own city??? I'm putting in proposal to quarter off a section of Vancouver for a Pagan leader with a shiny hat and lots of gold.

2. This is silly. The Royal Family is useless and irrelevant to modern politics. They're for mass-entertainment, charity events, and celebrity-gossip.

I happen to understand that it is impossible to eradicate these things instantly, you have to start somewhere, you can't just tell them they don't exist anymore. That would start a world war.

And to say that Buckingham palace is irrelevant to politics is retarded. It is its own city state, as is the Vatican and as is Washington DC, and they are tied together by blood.

J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:02:35 PM

Lol, "Main Producer" and "Sole Producer" are two different things. I am not talking about ANY GMOs related to Monsanto in any way.

You can't judge a people's wealth based on the continent. That's like saying Mexico and El Salvador are fine because America brings up the GDP of North America, that's just fuckin stupid.
Cool, go make your own GMOs then. Better get a lawyer ready because Monsanto will sue you into the ground if your plants are similar to theirs.

The entire GDP of Africa is 1/57 of the world's GDP. That is a huge indicator that Africa is struggling. What difference would it make if I listed the specific countries? Besides, your original post talked about Africa, not individual countries. I thought it was only reasonable to talk about Africa, not El Salvador or Mexico.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:14:09 PM

I thought it was only reasonable to talk about Africa, not El Salvador or Mexico.

Really? You didn't understand the comparison? I wasn't talking about El Salvador and Mexico, I was using them as an example to show you how ridiculous what you are saying is.

Katrina Elisse Caudle

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:20:08 PM

I happen to understand that it is impossible to eradicate these things instantly, you have to start somewhere, you can't just tell them they don't exist anymore. That would start a world war.

And to say that Buckingham palace is irrelevant to politics is retarded. It is its own city state, as is the Vatican and as is Washington DC, and they are tied together by blood.

Lay off the r-word, buddy. Let's keep this nice and civil.

Buckingham Palace, as I understand it, is not actually a city state like the Vatican which is not answerable to any other authority. That was kind of the point - no king was supposed to be able to reign in the Pope's shenanigans. The Palace is located in Westminister, which is a part of London, which is a part of England. It's still a part of the country they are in charge of.

I should actually correct my previous statement though. The Royal Family is not exactly irrelevant to modern politics, but they aren't really wielding much influence. They're more about the catching-up than the game-changing, which I think makes them a poor candidate for the "only other 2 things in the entire world that really need to be done" list you threw them on. How recently was it that Prince Charles was "allowed" to marry the woman he always wanted to? This most recent birth would have been the first time a girl might have actually been allowed to be in line for the throne without giving up her spot should a son be born. I've heard way more stories related to topless beaches and baby names than I have interesting political moves.
greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:22:22 PM

1. Cancer- More Cannabis research, as well as testing out new things. Many Cancer patients are told that they are inoperable, and that treatment is helpless. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find cancer patients to test new rainforest plants and research chemical effects on their cancer, as long as regular human tests were done first.

4. Discovering New Species- This goes hand in hand with Africa, World Hunger AND Cancer research. The Rainforests of the world need to be searched for new species of plants for cancer research, as well as new species that may be able to be bred with or spliced into the plants we currently use to make them have higher yields or more/less seeds, which in turn helps world hunger.

RE#1: Have you ever seen Burzynski? We have had a straight up cure for cancer for some time.

Though I wholeheartedly agree with you on Cannabis research--it does not end at medical. Cannabis is the solution to our food, energy, paper, and numerous other problems all in one. Industrial hemp produces more ethanol per acre than any other known plant on Earth. It can also be grown anywhere (does not need to displace current food crops) as can be garnished from it's affectionately given name "weed." It produces 4 times the amount of paper per acre than trees, and it does in 1/20th of the time (it takes 20 years for a tree plot to regrow, hemp can be done at least once per year). It is also one of the best known super foods. Cannabis also has over 60 cannabinoids, and with what little research has been done, we have found that over 40 of them have beneficial medical properties.

RE#2: I'm fairly certain GMOs are evil all around--as it's been proven that eating food with a modified DNA can actually alter your own DNA as well. The long term effects of this are astronomical obviously. Unfortunately GMOs are one of the things once taken out of the bottle, they cannot be put back in. As the GMO plants then produce with normal plants, and their offspring is forever with us.

The last 2 points I could really care less about. If you're into helping Africa, why not South America?

And if you're into exploration and finding new species...why no mention of the ocean? We know more about the moon than we do about our oceans.
J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:23:17 PM

I thought it was only reasonable to talk about Africa, not El Salvador or Mexico.

Really? You didn't understand the comparison? I wasn't talking about El Salvador and Mexico, I was using them as an example to show you how ridiculous what you are saying is.

Your example was irrelevant, which was what I was trying to get at.

You said that if we want to look at the wealth of a country, we shouldn't look the wealth of its continent. This makes sense.

However, that has very little to do with what I said. I said that Africa is poor (does this really need to be argued?) because its GDP is 1/57 1/40 of the world's. There are only six inhabitable continents, and Africa is still less than 3% of the world's economy. How does this not make sense to you? If the other 97.5% of the world's economy contributed to Africa, we could see improvement.

Correction: Africa's GDP is 1/40th of the world's.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:36:56 PM

Buckingham Palace, as I understand it, is not actually a city state like the Vatican which is not answerable to any other authority. That was kind of the point - no king was supposed to be able to reign in the Pope's shenanigans. The Palace is located in Westminister, which is a part of London, which is a part of England. It's still a part of the country they are in charge of.

I should actually correct my previous statement though. The Royal Family is not exactly irrelevant to modern politics, but they aren't really wielding much influence. They're more about the catching-up than the game-changing, which I think makes them a poor candidate for the "only other 2 things in the entire world that really need to be done" list you threw them on. How recently was it that Prince Charles was "allowed" to marry the woman he always wanted to? This most recent birth would have been the first time a girl might have actually been allowed to be in line for the throne without giving up her spot should a son be born. I've heard way more stories related to topless beaches and baby names than I have interesting political moves.

1. What the hell is the R word?Huh!??!?!?!??

2. Buckingham Palace may not be a city state in the same EXACT way that the Vatican is, but it IS a city state in the way of Ancient Rome. And it is a remnant of the Roman Empire, which shares power of the world with The Vatican and Washington DC. Which are all city states, they even share a flag. I'll get a pic of it for you.

3. My point is that the money in that palace needs to be more evenly distributed among the planet. And the only way to do that is to ask them to stop inbreeding, or storm the palace.

Why do you keep acting like it's either one way or the other? There IS middle ground on the way to change.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:39:21 PM

This is the flag of the Vatican, DC and Buckingham:

greenbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:42:15 PM

Can you cite where that is the flag for the Vatican and Buckingham as well? It is certainly the flag for DC, but the other two I would question...as they do have their own flags and it does not look like that.
J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:43:33 PM

1. What the hell is the R word?Huh!??!?!?!??

2. Buckingham Palace may not be a city state in the same EXACT way that the Vatican is, but it IS a city state in the way of Ancient Rome. And it is a remnant of the Roman Empire, which shares power of the world with The Vatican and Washington DC. Which are all city states, they even share a flag. I'll get a pic of it for you.

3. My point is that the money in that palace needs to be more evenly distributed among the planet. And the only way to do that is to ask them to stop inbreeding, or storm the palace.

Why do you keep acting like it's either one way or the other? There IS middle ground on the way to change.

1. Retard

2. Buckingham palace is not a city-state. It is neither a state nor a city, and it's certainly not both. DC isn't either. It's not a state. Modern city-states include the Vatican, Monaco, San Marino, Singapore, and Hong Kong (to an extent).

3. Wait, so you thought my idea about redistributing the wealth of the world to Africa was stupid yet you think one building has enough wealth for everyone? Are the royal baby's diapers going to be pawned off?
Katrina Elisse Caudle

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:48:07 PM

3. Wait, so you thought my idea about redistributing the wealth of the world to Africa was stupid yet you think one building has enough wealth for everyone? Are the royal baby's diapers going to be pawned off?

Oh! Can we list it on Bitmit?  Cheesy
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 07:25:15 PM

Can you cite where that is the flag for the Vatican and Buckingham as well? It is certainly the flag for DC, but the other two I would question...as they do have their own flags and it does not look like that.

It cites itself. That is what 3 stars means. ANY time you have stars on a modern flag, that is what they represent.

America: 50 states, 50 stars
Texas: 1 star, representing that we don't need the other 49
China: Representing its satellite nations

Those 3 stars represent 3 independent nations. The only nations as independent as DC in the world, are the palace and the Vatican.

J603

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 07:30:22 PM

It cites itself. That is what 3 stars means. ANY time you have stars on a modern flag, that is what they represent.

America: 50 states, 50 stars
Texas: 1 star, representing that we don't need the other 49
China: Representing its satellite nations

Those 3 stars represent 3 independent nations. The only nations as independent as DC in the world, are the palace and the Vatican.

While now I know that you're just crazy I do want to know how a building is considered a state.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2013, 12:34:39 AM

While now I know that you're just crazy I do want to know how a building is considered a state.

BECAUSE IT IS INDEPENDANT OF THE NATION AROUND IT. And it's not a building, it's an entire property. They have land.

Same as Sealand in the UK. It's a perfect example of a tiny bullshit nation that shouldn't even be considered a company, let alone an independent nation.

Kyle91

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:11:59 AM

this glass is half empty
PatioCrasher

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 08:17:47 PM

legalize!  http://anx.co.za/