Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin/alts in your will (?)  (Read 418 times)
Congyang

Activity: 882
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:36:35 AM

I will choose altcoin to hold short term and get big profit. and I will buy bitcoib for long term investment. because having altcoin and bitcoin is equally beneficial and profitable.
Eleven86

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:54:15 AM

I was thinking the other day that if something happened to me and I was unable to speak or was in a coma, some of my BTC and 'alts' may be locked up forever...?

My brother is into cryptos, so he may be able to get into my Ledger Nano S w/the 24 word private key (which he would need to find), but there are other wallets w/pass phrases and keys to get into. He would need to search around for them on my PC, laptop, external HD, thumbdrive....  And if I placed a password to access them in a file, he would never get in...

Do people here have a plan to 'will' their cryptos to their families?  If your parents, brother, sister, etc.. are not technically inclined or do not know anything about BTC, are they even going to gain access to them? (If they even know you have them...)

Accidents happen and you really never know what is going to happen to you each and every day. (I'm >50 and can have a heart attack!)  Well actually I'm in decent shape b/c I'm a cyclist. That being said, I can have a cycling related accident... (both road and mtb for those interested)   Smiley

I'll probably end up producing a paper list to give to my brother. It's not really safe to have electronic copies of passwords/private keys lying around and on a PC that you connect on-line...

Ideas?  Do others have access to your crypto stash?

Its required to have a back up. Explain the details to whom you trust in your family. Be more documented that upon your absence, the asset you have can be taken upon. Teach your loved ones what you know, this would make them be familiar with what you are doing.

I have a habit of explaining certain important information to my spouse, so that she has an idea of what i am doing and she knows what should be done in my absence.
germa66

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:14:01 AM

it is a very important thing and must be done because we will not know what will happen to us in the future, even a few hours to come. I always keep my personal data and make a backup for it. and I plan to tell my partner.

hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:20:39 AM

I was thinking the other day that if something happened to me and I was unable to speak or was in a coma, some of my BTC and 'alts' may be locked up forever...?

My brother is into cryptos, so he may be able to get into my Ledger Nano S w/the 24 word private key (which he would need to find), but there are other wallets w/pass phrases and keys to get into. He would need to search around for them on my PC, laptop, external HD, thumbdrive....  And if I placed a password to access them in a file, he would never get in...

Do people here have a plan to 'will' their cryptos to their families?  If your parents, brother, sister, etc.. are not technically inclined or do not know anything about BTC, are they even going to gain access to them? (If they even know you have them...)

Accidents happen and you really never know what is going to happen to you each and every day. (I'm >50 and can have a heart attack!)  Well actually I'm in decent shape b/c I'm a cyclist. That being said, I can have a cycling related accident... (both road and mtb for those interested)   Smiley

I'll probably end up producing a paper list to give to my brother. It's not really safe to have electronic copies of passwords/private keys lying around and on a PC that you connect on-line...

I can understand well this thing because I was also thinking this earlier , now I have made a planned and also used already , now I am waiting for the accident took with me ( that I can't expect that happen in any case ) .
I have my all the btc in a private key and that private key is attached by me in a online social media site and that social media account is accessible with the mobile no. And in that case I have already told my friend ( who is more trusted then what I have trust with my brother ) where is mine private key and what should he do after anything happen wrong with me , and also I told him that he can access my email id with mobile no. And can easily accessible every trading sites.
Balinsayaw

Activity: 156
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:24:16 AM

That's better. IT is needful to have one of your family knows you keys just in case something happen. Trusted member of your family is much better.
Samueltalk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:29:35 AM

before the incident happened better prepare first, I have a close friend and he has a bitcoin account as well, my friend knows all my public and private key, so if I die let him continue and my best friend will know where my results are.
Renal

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:56:14 AM

before the incident happened better prepare first, I have a close friend and he has a bitcoin account as well, my friend knows all my public and private key, so if I die let him continue and my best friend will know where my results are.
If I die maybe my bitcoin no one goes on and the coin already in the wallet will be scorched because only I know about my bitcoin, so others can not access our wallet.
FUD Expert

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 06:07:28 AM

Having a will statement is helpful if only you are willing to share it to the important people around you and we know that some of us don't have that. They might be living alone and old so it's their choice if it goes to charity or bury their btc with them.
Greenkarki

Activity: 420
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:16:38 PM

Its advised to have someone being a back up with your important stuffs known. Select the person who is well trusted. Pray nothing should happen to you as such you mentioned in your thread. Focus on growing your funds invested in the coins. It would be a better to invent a blockchain wallet which gives an option to add someone as a beneficiary and they will be able to handle in case of the owner's death. This would help not waste the amount saved in wallets.

Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 02:54:29 AM

You'll also need the info for all of the exchanges that you have an account on. (If you have anything there...)   Your phone still needs to be active as well for 2FA.......hope no one wipes out that SIM card!
Exchanges will be long gone, there is a better method to storing your coins. It's just storing them on a simple computer.
No method is fool proof, computers break down you know, what happens if someone throws away the hard drive with your bitcoin, that has happened before and it will surely happen again, if you create a paper wallet that paper can be easily destroyed, if you do something to preserve it now that piece of paper can be stolen, so it does not matter what method we think about there is always a way for that method to not work in the future.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: