Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:26:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Tax - How do you report your Bitmex trades?  (Read 136 times)
BTCtricks (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 02:37:22 PM

Its the start of the new tax year yesterday & I'm trying to compute what I owe & set some aside to pay next year. I'm wondering has anyone been advised on how to handle Bitmex trades?

Everywhere seems to be saying capital gains for all other transactions, but i have not seen anything on Bitmex type transactions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 07:30:34 PM

Its the start of the new tax year yesterday & I'm trying to compute what I owe & set some aside to pay next year. I'm wondering has anyone been advised on how to handle Bitmex trades?

Everywhere seems to be saying capital gains for all other transactions, but i have not seen anything on Bitmex type transactions.

When you talk about Bitmex trades, I assume you are talking about leverage trades.
The leverage trades on Bitmex essentially resemble spread betting. According to HMRC guidance, this wouldn't constitute capital gains.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg56105

The spread-betting company normally requires only a small deposit. Winnings or losses may well exceed this sum.

Though the terminology used in spread betting frequently echoes that of the derivatives market, no assets are acquired or disposed of and no chargeable gains or allowable losses arise from spread betting, see CG12602.
BTCtricks (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 07:35:30 PM

I am talking about leverage trades yes.

Have you had professional advice on this?

I am just trying to see how everyone is handling it. So far I have had CGT from most people I have talked to. Others have argued gambling in the case of the perps contract as it designed specifically for speculation & could be deemed a wager contract as it is peer to peer & the funding rate make it pretty useless for hedging.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 11:29:01 AM

I am talking about leverage trades yes.

Have you had professional advice on this?

I am just trying to see how everyone is handling it. So far I have had CGT from most people I have talked to. Others have argued gambling in the case of the perps contract as it designed specifically for speculation & could be deemed a wager contract as it is peer to peer & the funding rate make it pretty useless for hedging.

If this is something you're worried or unclear about then get an accountant to be safe. Unless otherwise stated by your government I would say trading in cryptos would most likely fall under the same rules as trading stocks and shares and you're probably liable for capital gain taxes on profits. I would be surprised if they count this as gambling but you don't have to pay taxes on gambling profits in the UK last time I checked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: