Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:41:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it okay to mine and have the Qt client on the same machine?  (Read 688 times)
The Extreme (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:26:50 AM

Greetings-

I was wondering how many folks out there mining run both their mining and their Bitcoin/Litecoin Qt client on the same computer.  Are there advantages or disadvantages to doing this?  I know most of the work being done is by a GPU or some external USB unit, but I was still wondering. 

I'd be curious to know what others are doing.

The Extreme  Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 08:36:19 AM

I'm not aware of any mining software which interacts with QT unless you run your own pool (bitcoind used to handle mining locally [no pools] a long, long time ago - but no longer does since CPU mining became obsolete). It'd make public an IP address associated to someone using Bitcoins to the pool op. This isn't really a problem, though, unless you really distrust the pool op and are using an insecure network and OS configuration, or have some other vulnerability on the computer, like running an insecure VNC client.

Ideally, funds should be stored in an offline wallet/PC, which'd obviously imply you aren't mining on the same computer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: