Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The BitcoinBriefcase is available for order.  (Read 1352 times)
GreatBug (OP)

Activity: 629
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 04:21:04 AM

http://www.bitcoinbriefcase.com

Five of us from TwoSixNine put together a briefcase that takes pocket change on one end, and prints out Bitcoin private keys on the other.

We thought it was a pretty cool hack, so we brought it to DEF CON because we thought people might like it.

And like it they did:

"The best of Black Hat and Def Con 2013" --The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/3/4585220/bitcoin-suitcase-eats-your-pocket-change-spits-out-digital-currency)
"DEF CON 21: Best in Show" --ZDnet (http://www.zdnet.com/def-con-21-best-in-show_p2-7000019144/#photo)
"This is the best thing I've seen all week!" -- Lots of DEF CON attendees
and this is awesome. We weren't expecting the incredibly positive reception to our hack, but we're glad you dig it. Thank You.

We were also not expecting the number of people who assumed we were planning to produce and sell these as a product. "How much?", "When will they be available?", and "Can you make one for my hackerspace and/or Bitcoin meetup?" were common questions that we were not ready for.

And then the recommendations for improvements came in. Battery power, bill acceptors, magnetic stripe and NFC readers, webcams, touch screens, and SMS transactions were suggested.

So, we're going to try it.

The plan is to clean up and open source our code and make free instructions available so you can build one yourself.

We will also sell kits with preconfigured components to help you get started.

And we will also offer fully-assembled BitcoinBriefacses for purchase. We will consider developing custom enhancements on request.

The prototype that you've seen is fully functional, and over DEF CON we processed about a thousand transactions. There's code to clean up, bugs to shake out, and improvements in the design that will make the Briefcase lighter, faster and more reliable.

To kick things off, we are offering alpha units to technical users.

The cost for a standard alpha unit is 5BTC. There are twenty alpha slots available.

Email us with your order to info@bitcoinbriefcase.com  We are open to customizations and feature requests.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 06:07:11 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2013, 06:20:16 AM by adamstgBit

The Bitcoin Briefcase!

nice

Cheesy

i would love to have one of these
or put one together myself
i have a raspberry pi and never use it.

cool project!

steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:29:22 AM

I would buy one of these but i think I am a little too un-techie for the alpha unit.

If i could request that you made a version that had the option for battery power and accepted UK notes as well as coins I would definitely buy one.

Good job though guys, I will keep an eye on progress  Grin
chuckleoctopus

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:14:59 PM

I'd love to buy one but would have no idea how to set it up.

Also what percentage of the funds is directed towards the owner?
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2013, 08:37:58 PM

I hope this doesn't put you in the category as a money transmitter lol

I really liked the video and best of luck on this project!
GreatBug (OP)

Activity: 629
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 10:19:43 PM

The fees that go to the operator is configurable.

We will be providing documentation and setup instructions.  If you can modify files and restart services on a linux machine, you should be fine for the alpha phase.
steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 11:05:03 PM

The fees that go to the operator is configurable.

We will be providing documentation and setup instructions.  If you can modify files and restart services on a linux machine, you should be fine for the alpha phase.

Any idea when the next phase is for mac users? Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: