Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:41:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: antminer s9 set a target temperature?  (Read 261 times)
jlonghi (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:55:11 PM

Is it possible to configure bmminer to aim for a target temperature by throttling the antminer?

I see that cgminer as a bitmain-temp parameter but when i do bmminer --help on the antminer this parameter does not seem to show up.

Any ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 05:14:21 PM

Is it possible to configure bmminer to aim for a target temperature by throttling the antminer?

I see that cgminer as a bitmain-temp parameter but when i do bmminer --help on the antminer this parameter does not seem to show up.

Any ideas?

You don't want to throttle the hashrate, that's what the fan logic is for.

jlonghi (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:09:17 PM

how come?
Is my only option to run the fans at 100% all the time?
In my specific scenario I have a lot of antminers and need to keep my overall temperature low for the time being
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 06:31:02 PM

how come?
Is my only option to run the fans at 100% all the time?
In my specific scenario I have a lot of antminers and need to keep my overall temperature low for the time being

In my opinion you're going about this wrong.

Generally you address the cooling issue rather than try to modify the miner to run at a lower hashrate. Do you truly see the fans at 100% in the status page? What are your miner temps? Where are you keeping these miners?

Avalanche_Hosting

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 06:32:28 PM

The fans should control themselves based on the chip temps.... If you really want to run it cooler you can flash the firmware and on the first boot you will have the option to change the core frequency.  Try under clocking it a bit.  Then you will run cooler, but less hash rate.  
Hope this helps!
jlonghi (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:41:12 PM

The issue is that I have a temporary setup and what happens is my transformer overheats due to poor ventilation and hvac. I wanted to throttle the miners so they consistently run at a temperature that will not overheat my transformer until I get my ventilation and hvac set up. I noticed my miners came with bmminer 2.0.0 so I was considering upgrading to the latest version where they have the option to throttle temp.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:00:31 PM

I am not sure what you are talking about with bmminer. There is no temperature throttling built into the antminers. They hit overheat temperature and just shut off.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
polymer_city2

Activity: 36

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:04:46 PM

Such a thing does exist.

This is how I control my farm.

I can only cool the room so much, and so the frequency is set according to temperature automatically by my software.
jlonghi (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:07:55 PM

I was looking on the bmminer-cgminer repo and they had the option
--bitmain-temp      Set bitmain target temperature
but i do not see it even with the latest version of bmminer.

polymer does your software monitor the temperature and then downclock the asics on demand through the API?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:11:56 PM

Such a thing does exist.

This is how I control my farm.

I can only cool the room so much, and so the frequency is set according to temperature automatically by my software.

You are talking about third party software and not the built in bitmain firmware which is what I was talking about.....

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
tartoga1

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 10:24:17 PM

Now I just love my 2 S9's. They are running on my enclosed porch. I would like to add code to power off the units if I'm away and the temp exceeds a set temperature.

I can use teamviewer to remote to my PC and check, but it would be really nice to not have to worry about it.

I believe the one that runs a little hotter did it's own poweroff, but I would like to lower the target temp ;-)
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 10:29:22 PM

Now I just love my 2 S9's. They are running on my enclosed porch. I would like to add code to power off the units if I'm away and the temp exceeds a set temperature.

I can use teamviewer to remote to my PC and check, but it would be really nice to not have to worry about it.

I believe the one that runs a little hotter did it's own poweroff, but I would like to lower the target temp ;-)

Look at Awesomeminer it'll do that plus a lot more. The question becomes, how will you turn it back on?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: