Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:58:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU tweaking guide?  (Read 200 times)
MinLum (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:53:00 PM

Greetings!  I've recently built a mining rig with 6x 1070 GPUs and I'm looking for a guide on how to tweak the GPUs for specific algorithms.  I'm quite new to this so maybe my Google search terms are wrong but I can't find anything for nVidia and there seems to be a lot written for AMD.

At the moment, I'm mining using NiceHash and my GPUs are still on stock clocks.  Any help or advice would be welcome.  Thanks!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:13:02 AM

Greetings!  I've recently built a mining rig with 6x 1070 GPUs and I'm looking for a guide on how to tweak the GPUs for specific algorithms.  I'm quite new to this so maybe my Google search terms are wrong but I can't find anything for nVidia and there seems to be a lot written for AMD.

At the moment, I'm mining using NiceHash and my GPUs are still on stock clocks.  Any help or advice would be welcome.  Thanks!

Google it and find out what others are using with NiceHash.  If you're using NH, it's switching between algos, so you're not going to be able to say ... I want to tweak it for equihash and then expect all other algo's to perform well.  Some may be better with different settings.

Normally I would say find a baseline and start tweaking until the card crashes, but you can't really do it that way when you're swiching algo's all of the time.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
makomako

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

altcom Aa4DWXQjrcEA8gPBLkx6t9VgCuWoCo1myE

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:13:48 AM

really just play with the settings then try to create a spreadsheet with all the diff algo and overclocks that you think has the best hashrate.  

dschwartz0815

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:20:21 AM

The 1070 and 1070 Ti's aren't exactly hashing powerhouses the more you overclock them

What they do exceed at is in efficiency!  Underclock the power a bit and put the core clock around +125 and memory clock near +700 and you'll get an all around strong hashing power as well as an efficient hashing-to-wattage ratio or Sol/s
MinLum (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:22:56 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "google it and find out what others are using with NiceHash".... I am able to pick which algorithm to mine simply by un-ticking the ones I don't want.  My baseline would be stock clocks and 100% power.

Like I said, I'm new to this so creating a spreadsheet is no problem but what I "think" is the best hashrate would probably be absolutely rubbish.
gotminer

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:23:56 AM

My 1070ti rigs are running 70 power, +200 core, +700 memory.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
gotminer

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:26:05 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "google it and find out what others are using with NiceHash".... I am able to pick which algorithm to mine simply by un-ticking the ones I don't want.  My baseline would be stock clocks and 100% power.

Like I said, I'm new to this so creating a spreadsheet is no problem but what I "think" is the best hashrate would probably be absolutely rubbish.

Ok then search the forum or use google to find out what underpower and overclock settings people are using with whatever algo you're using on 1070's.  If you're deselecting all but one in NH, then you'll be able to dial it in better.

MinLum (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:29:51 AM

The 1070 and 1070 Ti's aren't exactly hashing powerhouses the more you overclock them

What they do exceed at is in efficiency!  Underclock the power a bit and put the core clock around +125 and memory clock near +700 and you'll get an all around strong hashing power as well as an efficient hashing-to-wattage ratio or Sol/s
That is why the title is "tweaking" and not overclocking Smiley  Do you have a guide for this process you mentioned?

Ok then search the forum or use google to find out what underpower and overclock settings people are using with whatever algo you're using on 1070's.  If you're deselecting all but one in NH, then you'll be able to dial it in better.
Thanks for that but I was looking more for a guide rather than just copying what others have done; copying may give me better results than stock but I don't know which one really did what and why each has to be set at a certain level.
gotminer

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:39:18 AM

I said google it for algo and your specific gpu to get a baseline, so you don't have to start at zero.  Start low and decrease power, overclock core and mem little by little until your gpu is unstable.  Do it for each card.  Document everything for each gpu and then apply the proper settings.

Or just set your power to 70%, and increase core and mem little by little until your gpu becomes unstable.

What do you mean by a guide?  I just gave you a fucking guide.

MinLum (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:58:19 AM

I get numbers all over the place.  This one goes for 112%, +210, +830.  A few posters on this thread state +100 core, +500 memory or +200 core, +700 memory.  Which one do you think I should use as baseline?

Ok, let's start with the lowest one +100, +500.  What exactly do you mean by "increase little by little"?  +100 each?  +50?  +25?  +10?  What exactly is "unstable"?  Does the miner have to crash?  Is lower hashrates a sign of instability?  How high do I go if there are no isses?  +500 on core?  +1000 on memory?  Or higher?

I'm sure you've read/seen overclocking guides for CPUs online... they're generally more than just a few sentences and manage to finish the guide without profanity.
gotminer

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:09:04 AM

I get numbers all over the place.  This one goes for 112%, +210, +830.  A few posters on this thread state +100 core, +500 memory or +200 core, +700 memory.  Which one do you think I should use as baseline?

Ok, let's start with the lowest one +100, +500.  What exactly do you mean by "increase little by little"?  +100 each?  +50?  +25?  +10?  What exactly is "unstable"?  Does the miner have to crash?  Is lower hashrates a sign of instability?  How high do I go if there are no isses?  +500 on core?  +1000 on memory?  Or higher?

I'm sure you've read/seen overclocking guides for CPUs online... they're generally more than just a few sentences and manage to finish the guide without profanity.

CPU's or GPU's?  You said 1070, so I assumed you meant an NVIDIA 1070 GPU.

You'll know what instability is when it crashes your system or you start seeing artifacts on your monitor.  I would increase by 5% until your unstable and then start dialing down in 1% increments.  But sure ... Start with +100 core and +500 memory and just increase by 5% on each and then dial down by 1% when your system is unstable.

You'll want to document everything, because you want to know the wattage and sol/s at each setting, so you can calculate sol/s per watt, if you're looking for efficiency.

MinLum (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:38:09 AM

Thank you for that!  I am talking about GPUs, only mentioned CPU as that was the sort of step-by-step guide I was familiar with and that I was looking for.  I guess this doesn't exist for GPUs and mining?

Is there any hard cap on the memory and core values?  Any limit I should not go over?  I don't want to be testing then all of a sudden something goes up in smoke and the room starts to stink Smiley

Documentation isn't a problem Smiley  I'm a bit silly with that.  I'm not 100% going for efficiency either but more like looking for max hashrates at the moment.  That may change later on as I learn and wrap my head around things a bit more.
gotminer

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:09:38 AM

If you're doing small increments, nothing is going up in smoke.  You'll see artifacts on the screen or it will just freeze up when you've gone too far.   When you get to that point. Dial back little by little until you hit the sweet spot.

MinLum (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:57:51 PM

Well, that was the issue. Smiley  I did not know what a small increment was and did not think of going up a % of the value instead of a set value.

I've run a few tests now and it seems I get different numbers depending on the algorithm I'm mining.  Both algorithms are profitable for my 1070s, NeoScrypt and Nist5.  I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.  Do I save each settings on a different MSI Afterburner profile and switch between the two profiles depending on what I'm mining?  Or do I try to hit a middle ground..... well, no middle ground really, I'll have to go with the lowest-common-denominator with is the numbers for Nist5 (75% +100/+400 compared to 75% +150/+400 for NeoScrypt) and set those values and let NiceHash switch depending on profitability?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:27:45 PM

Here is the thread users of GTX 1070's, might help you out a little to decide on what clocks, tweaks, and miners they are using.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2054800.0

some are NH users, but most might don't actually use NH miner as it uses different types of miner embedded with it, so basically if it switch algos, your desired clocks may not the sweetest spot anymore.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: