Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:24:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announce] Project Quixote - BitShares, BitNames and 'BitMessage'  (Read 48264 times)
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:48:38 PM

I just have a major problem with other people deciding for me what I should see to promote their own political agendas. If this had been buried earlier, I wouldn't have seen it, and I've been very interested in Bitshares from its beginning announcement, along with all the other p2p exchange proposals.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:46:38 PM

I just have a major problem with other people deciding for me what I should see to promote their own political agendas. If this had been buried earlier, I wouldn't have seen it, and I've been very interested in Bitshares from its beginning announcement, along with all the other p2p exchange proposals.

That's not a good reason to put it back in PD.

It appears to be moved on the basis that the Bitshares protocol enables 'polymorhic digital assets', a feature mods seem to think implies an exclusive relationship with alternative cryptocurrencies. This perspective sheds light on the limited understanding many have of BitShares. Not to mention, by that logic, as bytemaster pointed out, Mastercoin belongs here as well.

In reality the move seems to have some alternative motive/bias, as gmaxwell came in the thread earlier and pointed out he thinks it should be moved. He may have motivated theymos to move the thread (not that I really care, just pointing it out). If they are intent on moving it out of PD they should at least not stuff it somewhere it doesn't belong--if anything they should create a new subsection dedicated to layers on top of/as adjuncts to Bitcoin.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

thread is doomed now since it has been moved to the most ignored subforum in history. Please, begging you one more time, open a reddit or something!

Reddit and our own forums are on the way. It is beyond belief we were moved after mastercoin, namecoin and bitmessage got to stay.

I agree and it deeply disappoints me. We are planning on at least 100k worth of community bounties to help us build BitShares and friends. Being buried in this subforum means we have to offer the bounties through different channels and to a different community. Ultimately this decision- done with no notice or debate- has only hurt the Bitcoin talk community.

Very active threads such as this should not be moved, period. This has consistently been at or near the top for the last few days since it started, as has Mastercoin. I could see categorizing it when activity and interest die down, but not now.

Mastercoin, namecoin and Bitmessage all get to stay and we don't. It is a very dark day.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
jedunnigan

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:07:00 AM

Mastercoin, namecoin and Bitmessage all get to stay and we don't. It is a very dark day.

The decision should be appealed (if at all possible).
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 12:09:38 AM

Don't worry, these kinds of things will no longer be a problem once we decentralized the forums... but one thing at a time.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 12:10:37 AM

No it cannot and this points out one of the core problems with centralization. We are very glad to be in the business of building tools that make things like this not happen to future entrepreneurs. Censorship and FUD are the tools of a losing side.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted here. We have read some amazing comments and I am really proud of the raw intellectualism and depth of this community. You guys are great. I hope we can keep this dialogue going for as long as possible. And I hope we can keep it going in increasingly more effective channels.

Beside the new forums and the subreddit, would you like any other means of connecting and collaborating with us?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
jedunnigan

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:21:18 AM

No it cannot and this points out one of the core problems with centralization. We are very glad to be in the business of building tools that make things like this not happen to future entrepreneurs. Censorship and FUD are the tools of a losing side.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted here. We have read some amazing comments and I am really proud of the raw intellectualism and depth of this community. You guys are great. I hope we can keep this dialogue going for as long as possible. And I hope we can keep it going in increasingly more effective channels.

Beside the new forums and the subreddit, would you like any other means of connecting and collaborating with us?

If I had to guess, an IRC channel at some point down the line. Maybe after some more traction has been gained...

Don't worry, these kinds of things will no longer be a problem once we decentralized the forums... but one thing at a time.

Haha, fair enough.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:45:45 AM

I wouldn't worry about being moved. If you produce the coin that people are clamoring for, they will be beating down your door.

It is all about getting the feature set correct. On that point, I think I can beat you Wink  ...we will see...

Sincerely good luck. I hope you produce something that really solves the problems I have with Bitcoin.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:20:06 AM

What money they'll lose?

They can lose only BitUSD. They can't lose FedUSD because you have no access to their FedUSD. The value of BitUSD is absolute zero if losing BitUSD doesn't automatically inflict losing the "real" stuff (FedUSD)!

First you never lose BitUSD, their value decreases relative to another asset such as BitShares or Bitcoin. Second, this statement would also assume Bitcoin have no value whatsoever because they are not directly pegged to the USD.

Bitcoin is pegged to Bitcoin while bitUSD is pegged to FedUSD! BitUSD is a derivative of FedUSD that allows exchange rate and interest rate exposure to the instrument it is derived from by doing nothing but just holding it. If you tell BitUSD/FedUSD market participants that they will never lose their BitUSD while BitUSD is pegged to FedUSD, you're killing the incentive of having a market.
bytemaster (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:24:09 AM

What money they'll lose?

They can lose only BitUSD. They can't lose FedUSD because you have no access to their FedUSD. The value of BitUSD is absolute zero if losing BitUSD doesn't automatically inflict losing the "real" stuff (FedUSD)!

First you never lose BitUSD, their value decreases relative to another asset such as BitShares or Bitcoin. Second, this statement would also assume Bitcoin have no value whatsoever because they are not directly pegged to the USD.

Bitcoin is pegged to Bitcoin while bitUSD is pegged to FedUSD! BitUSD is a derivative of FedUSD that allows exchange rate and interest rate exposure to the instrument it is derived from by doing nothing but just holding it. If you tell BitUSD/FedUSD market participants that they will never lose their BitUSD while BitUSD is pegged to FedUSD, you're killing the incentive of having a market.

Could you please elaborate on this because it makes no sense to me.

They can never lose their BitUSD because it is an unspent output in the blockchain only spendable by a signature.  There is no margin call for BitUSD.     So perhaps you mean something different?

*edit*

Ok, I see what I missed... why would there be a BitUSD / FedUSD market?    It would be a very narrow trading range which is exactly the goal because it means that BitUSD will be almost as fungible as FedUSD and the volatility will be entirely on changes in the perceived risks of BitUSD, the expected dividends, and the premium required to convince BitUSD holders to sell a dividend paying position for a non-dividend paying position, and the transaction fees associated with using the traditional banking system.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 10:47:30 AM

Yeah, an IRC channel would be great too.

jedunnigan

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:39:36 PM

Daniel what happened to your LTB post? I didn't get to read it before it was deleted....
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:15:31 PM

any news?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 08:32:51 PM

as a result of our recent censorship we will be moving this discussion to a more effective medium. hang tight

bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 03:30:04 PM

as a result of our recent censorship we will be moving this discussion to a more effective medium. hang tight

kinda sad though. what medium are you going to use?
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 04:01:29 PM

You guys are waaaay underestimating the power of Alt Coin to launch.

You basically got Ripple on a blockchain minus the venture capital...
And biggest problem you'll face is bootstrapping it to several 100 REGULAR users...
Which OpenCoin has totally failed to do in 6 months.

If you maintain a good image in the Alt Coin Forum and keep this thread near Page 1...
You will EASILY bootstrap it from here like a fucking rocket.
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
September 07, 2013, 05:29:58 AM

Hi QuantPlus,

Glad to see you here. I enjoyed your posts over on the Ripple forum. I'm studying trading, with a preference for Nassim Taleb, Benoit Mandelbrot, and Edgar Peters, currently reading Taleb's Dynamic Hedging.

The Fractal Market Hypothesis and Cauchy Distribution make a lot more sense to me than the Efficient Market Hypothesis, which relies on Normal Distribution (a special case) Adding GARCH to EMH to try to make it work seems Ptolemaic, like adding retrograde orbits to explain observed planetary motion in an Earth centered model of the solar system.

Do you have any suggestions on books for trading? Also, what's your take on Taleb's approach.
I'm interested in automated bot trading.

Sorry if this post is drifting OT but thought the thread could use a bump to "keep it on the front page".
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2013, 12:44:14 PM

Quant we are vc funded

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 09:04:34 AM

Any update?
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Hi QuantPlus,

Glad to see you here. I enjoyed your posts over on the Ripple forum. I'm studying trading, with a preference for Nassim Taleb, Benoit Mandelbrot, and Edgar Peters, currently reading Taleb's Dynamic Hedging.

The Fractal Market Hypothesis and Cauchy Distribution make a lot more sense to me than the Efficient Market Hypothesis, which relies on Normal Distribution (a special case) Adding GARCH to EMH to try to make it work seems Ptolemaic, like adding retrograde orbits to explain observed planetary motion in an Earth centered model of the solar system.

Do you have any suggestions on books for trading? Also, what's your take on Taleb's approach.
I'm interested in automated bot trading.

Sorry if this post is drifting OT but thought the thread could use a bump to "keep it on the front page".

Hi, I just saw this... off the top of my head:

(1)  Taleb's "Fooled By Randomness" should be 2nd nature...
What that means is you understand Gambling Stats/Zero Sum Game Stats on an instinctive level.

(2)  Specialize in something complicated/esoteric/obscure. BECOME AN EXPERT IN SOMETHING = 10,000 hours.

(3)  Tech Infrastructure is very important... but human expertise must run it (see #2).

(3)  Virtually all $$$ in financial markets is made by Market Makers and people who charge fees...
In other words, large volume of small risks generate a steady return of small rewards that add up.

(4)  About 99% of what you hear/read/see in Financial Media is bullshit...
The Financial Media is owned by Wall Street = their job is to transfer your $$$ to Wall Street.

Gotta go Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: