Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:50:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto faster and cheaper??  (Read 249 times)
Jaya912

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:23:42 AM

I just made a purchase using Bitcoin today.
The receiver has yet to receive the Bitcoin sent over an hour ago.
And...I was charged $17 in fees (using Coinbase) to complete this transaction!!
How is this digital currency the "thing of the future"??
If I had paid with credit card, my purchase would have been final in seconds with no additional fees.
What is the real advantage of this voodoo currency??

Before that problem fix by lightning network or other good technology which will be used in bitcoin blockchain, so dont ever use bitcoin to purchase something offline or online.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boss1dg

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:59:20 AM

If I had paid with credit card, my purchase would have been final in seconds with no additional fees.

Yeah exactly, BTC used to be fast and cheap but right now people outbid eachother to get into the next block so the fees are very high. There is Lightning Network coming to cure the issue but that can still take a long time. The problem you describe is why BTC forked and there's now BitcoinCash which still lives up to the ancient promise of BTC's low fee and fast transactions.

Sorry

There's still the advantage of no middle man and sending to anyone in the world P2P, can't do that with a creditcard.

bitcoin cash is fast ?? really ??

i transferred it 3-4 times yet , and it took even more time than btc .

only advantage was its fee was 7x less than btc . but sorry it is not faster .

and yes , to make crypto more popular and usable there should be a faster network like cards/visa , and fees should be minimal .

Coin12

Activity: 238
Merit: 102

1st of May

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:23:57 AM

After reading any of post here mention that bitcoin is very high fee, i never use bitcoin to buy something.
I think to buy or purchase something, we need low fee because nobody want to spend much more in fee if the purchase something.

》》  HashCard   ∥|▌ REVOLUTIONISING HOW YOU USE CREDIT & DEBIT CARDS
▌|∥     JOIN WHITELIST     ∥|▐
Whitepaper TelegramTwitterFacebookMediumGithubYoutubeANN Thread
Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:57:20 AM

As we know bitcoin, it does what it was intended to do, yet  because of increase in demand and conflict in acceptance really affects the present situation.

I think that the workload added to miners needed incentive  and that causes high fees.

Using bitcoin in purchasing small items is not practical today. I prefer for luxuries is much better than like coffees and candies.

It's your money, use your head. Your in control. Do try other ways to lessen fees your own way.
Complaining isn't going to help the current problem.
ajmapalo22

Activity: 266
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:56:13 AM

Of course atm are really fast and reliable since they have been established properly in the market and it is supported by banks and governments if such thing was only done to bitcoin I'm pretty sure makimg such transactions will also be as easy as atm and what's really good about bitcoin is unlike atm its valie can pump and increase anytime it is also safe. Bitcoin only needs support and surely everything will go smoothly as it is
yo_mama

Activity: 89
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:39:46 AM

only $17 in fees?

Damn, when I bought bitcoin I used an ATM with a crazy 10% fee, when price was $14500+...

And the ATM asked me to verify identity and upload ID.

I felt like a moron...

But I had no other choice, horrible stories of Coinbase scared me away. And localbitcoins was even more ridiculously expensive.

Now Bitcoin is more like a security, not a payment service.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:52:53 AM

That is the current problems of Bitcoin network. The transaction fees and time for the transactions to be completed but I've read some news that their are currently working the lightning network which will give faster and cheaper transactions. For the meantime, I suggest that you transact using altcoins. There are lots of altcoins wbich are much cheaper and faster than Bitcoin.
Fidemoga

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:47:20 AM

If we are talking in crypto in general, then you should use altcoins like nem or ltc to make payments. These altcoins are still fast and cheap. Bitcoin is not feasible in that category anymore, it is too expensive and slow.

There may be a solution, but I don't know, if it is technically possible. Lets say you buy in a supermarket for 10$ in Bitcoin. But you don't send them, but hand over the wallet with amount of 10$ in Bitcoin. The supermarket takes the wallet and adds it to its own wallet
Is it possible to connect several Bitcoin wallet to one wallet?

Are you giving away your private key? Then that is a security risk.
Yes, the wallets would be handed over. Like physical Bitcoins. But the question is. Could the supermarket put all those wallets and its private keys to one wallet, so that the single wallets from customers are connected to one wallet?
Sir Cross

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:20:53 AM

Yeah exactly, BTC used to be fast and cheap but right now people outbid eachother to get into the next block so the fees are very high. There is Lightning Network coming to cure the issue but that can still take a long time. The problem you describe is why BTC forked and there's now BitcoinCash which still lives up to the ancient promise of BTC's low fee and fast transactions.

Sorry

There's still the advantage of no middle man and sending to anyone in the world P2P, can't do that with a creditcard.
As you said the implementation of lightning network will take care of the confirmation time in future but right now you have to wait for the transaction get confirmed.And coinbase still using legacy address that's why the fee is more and the waiting time also more.You can use some pther wallets which supports segwit address then you transaction will get confirmed soon than normal coinbase transaction.
But right now bitcoin is the only crypto currency facing this kind of issue but there are lots of other crypto currencies available so we can use them now to make purchases and transaction will get confirmed in seconds.

But you need to understand the credit card payment is a third party who pays your money for someone which means someone is controlling your money but in bitcoin you are the only person who can decide what to do.

Also, there's decentralization. People opt to use this rather than credit cards because they feel more secure with the lack of a third party. With credit cards, it's still controlled by a different company. Unlike with bitcoin which only utilizes the blockchain. The transaction fees and confirmation time may be a hassle now but once there's lightning network, bitcoin will be king again. Eth is now preferred and other alts because of the lower transaction fees and faster confirmation.

captain8

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:24:34 AM

Just do everything with LTC makes life 100x easier!

di.ako.toh

Activity: 154
Merit: 121

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:24:45 PM

These kind of thing, i think is possible to happen with just more time needed and more efforts to established it fully. No doubt, it would be like others such as Credit and ATM cards in the market, how it is efficient and widely used by many, digital currency will be like them as faster and more cheaper in terms of transaction fees just a little more studies and reasearch over time.

malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:54:25 PM

It was supposed to be faster and cheaper but unfortunately it is not due to the network congestion, up-gradation of Bitcoin network is much needed at this stage, many are opposing the Lightning network due to the limitation of transaction but in fact the best thing about LN is throughput, which matters a lot.
I admit that the idea which was developed for digital currency was much different as compared to the current scenario, but don't be pessimistic it will not going to take a long time for up-gradation and make it much better than ever.
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 02:44:28 PM

Bitcoin still has a lot of improvement to do as it is looking not a payment method for the future. With this high fees and slow transaction speeds it won't be appealing to most buyers or senders of money. At the moment you can still benefit Bitcoin but not as a currency but as an investment vehicle. And the sad thing about Coinbase is you don't have the power to choose how much transaction fees you are willing to pay.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
brightLIFE

Activity: 93
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:02:05 PM

As long as they not implement the solution of this kind of problem in transactions it will going to become expensive as long as bitcoin will continue to grow.
ss890

Activity: 644
Merit: 263

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 03:02:24 PM

Lol. Its not voodoo for sure but a technology which needs to be upgraded to higher dimension real soon. The thing works on the blockchain where the different books include your transaction code that needs to be confirmed before your transaction can be successfully executed. The thing is we have very lesser sized blocks and the chain itself is not self sufficient to carry bigger transaction and thus it leads to congestion in the network, a really bad one. Miners finding it difficult to process day by day and the more it keeps going on the costlier affair it is becoming day by day. Thats why many people are now worried about it and hope to see new developments to take place in terms of blockchain.
lite
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:53:25 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2018, 07:35:07 PM by lite

Bitcoin is not a voodoo currency lol.
The problem with coinbase is that you don't have control over your wallet/can't set custom fee. if i send a transaction from my trezor right now it would cost me $8(legacy wallet) in fees and would take around 30 minutes to get a confirmation. if we/i used segwit wallet the fees will go down a lot.. fees are high ATM.. but it'll be way lower and faster in coming days/months, LN(as many have said/mentioned) is going to solve the issue of high fees and slow transaction.  
wildflower18

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:38:16 PM

This is the issue that bitcoin is being expensive in terms of the fees in every transactions. But, for that we cant say that bitcoin is a voodoo currency that bitcoin needs to improve its system. Let's hope that this blockchain technology would be improve to become fastest the transactions and would be lesser the fees.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:41:39 PM

This is the issue that bitcoin is being expensive in terms of the fees in every transactions. Let's hope that this blockchain technology would be improve to become fastest the transactions and would be lesser the fees.

It is fine, i spent $7 for a normal transaction using a Segwit Address right now, do you really think that $7 is expensive?

You, seriously have a bad concept of money, or maybe you are always doing transactions of less than $10 and you are complaining because a fee of $7, that WOULD be unfair.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:13:25 AM

This is the reason why we need to support the segwit2X so that the heavy traffic in the blockchain will be address by making a wider road for every transaction resulting to fees will become cheaper but 1 hour is a normal waiting for me specially if you use flat charges only in your transaction but if you want an instant result you will pay much for it.
There may be a solution, but I don't know, if it is technically possible. Lets say you buy in a supermarket for 10$ in Bitcoin. But you don't send them, but hand over the wallet with amount of 10$ in Bitcoin. The supermarket takes the wallet and adds it to its own wallet
Is it possible to connect several Bitcoin wallet to one wallet?
The problems with that solution are several, to begin with the merchant will have to trust that you do not have a copy of that wallet and can move those coins after they accept your wallet or private key, in order to make sure they will probably have to move the funds themselves, second if instead your purchase was of 9 dollars and you paid with a wallet containing 10 now you need to receive change and they will give you a wallet of their own and just to make sure you will need to move those funds to another address, so your solution does not reduce transactions in fact instead of one transaction there will be two transactions in the later scenario.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: