Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:38:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Codinginmysleep= BFL SHILL 2 the MAX -  (Read 5138 times)
frankenmint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 09:09:47 AM

I think his first video showing the unboxing of the Jalapeno back in April basically caught my eye and put my thoughts at ease about BFL.  So then today I noticed that he is promoting the new POS ASIC PCIE card from BFL.  My feelings are like...ok...I get it, you did a review/unboxing of the product probably because they asked you to and because you promised to get them a lot of "exposure"  Now its just starting to get sickening to my stomach whenver I see him doing any videos or reviews. 

He is a paid spokesperson for BFL.  He is paid by the free merchandise offerred to him as though it were readily available when the reality is that BFL is pocketing your money and "claiming to be waiting for longboards for minirigs from AUG '12" STILL. 

That means that for this guy to have the nerve to even put that onto his website - HES A FUCKING SHILL 2 THE MAX!

Ok I'm off my soapbox.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 12:14:00 PM

I think his first video showing the unboxing of the Jalapeno back in April basically caught my eye and put my thoughts at ease about BFL.

Dog and pony show. Was very obvious.

David Perry (Coding In My Sleep) sold his soul for one measly Jalapeno.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 04:53:03 AM

I think his first video showing the unboxing of the Jalapeno back in April basically caught my eye and put my thoughts at ease about BFL.

Nobody likes cheap whores Sad
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 11:48:01 AM

Although he may be a shill, that guy is actually really nice. I met him at the Bitcoin Conference.

Don't persecute him too badly.  Cheesy
bitcoinarnold

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 05:07:11 AM

One Jalapeño and about 300 cheesecakes.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 12:15:08 PM

tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 01:07:10 PM

Although he may be a shill, that guy is actually really nice. I met him at the Bitcoin Conference.

It's easy to be overly critical when you're a troll hiding on the forum. What none of them will admit is that they'd do the exact same thing if they were in his advantageous position.

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
frankenmint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 06:48:19 AM

It's easy to be overly critical when you're a troll hiding on the forum. What none of them will admit is that they'd do the exact same thing if they were in his advantageous position.

Sure - I can understand that.  But my point was that he is NOW promoting the Monarch.  I could give two shits less about the Jalapeno - we all thought that maybe BFL would indeed get things rolling in full swing.  They havent even gotten to 2013 orders FFS!  I only put this out there after I saw he was still promoting them.   Like how come he isn't talking about other vendors on the horizon - cause he got a jalapeno he now is forced to 'do their advertising too?!'  I'll bet he did this to be promised another 'unboxing' opportunity where he gets to keep the miner after showcasing it off for the world to see yet having no means to acquire one like the rest of us hard working commonfolk.  If you go to his homepage he's showcasing the shiny monarch right now.  I'd be willing to give him redemption if he were willing to drop that post altogether or at least start to cover other hardware more.

Should I be more vocal and direct with him (direct comment on his monarch post) about how I think he is a shill and should take that down as they are acting really shady shifty right now?

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:58:21 AM

Actually not really. It is called having integrity some of us have it, and some let it go with their soul. As being a person that has been approached from people saying "we will give you this for free, but tell the community it is your favorite" or my favorite "we saw how you want one of X, we can send you one, but can you send us a video of you endorsing it" LMAO

Some people don't have the integrity and that is just plain sad. I actually used to read his blog but then stopped after a couple of post, I just saw it going downhill.
frankenmint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 07:14:49 AM

Actually not really. It is called having integrity some of us have it, and some let it go with their soul. As being a person that has been approached from people saying "we will give you this for free, but tell the community it is your favorite" or my favorite "we saw how you want one of X, we can send you one, but can you send us a video of you endorsing it" LMAO

Some people don't have the integrity and that is just plain sad. I actually used to read his blog but then stopped after a couple of post, I just saw it going downhill.

I did just give it a little time just now...that cassius coin defcon post was cool and so was his post on stealing bitcoin through using random address generation...needs more stuff like that...

freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:25:20 PM

That early Jalapeno he got has probably made him thousands of dollars.  I'm sure he'd love an early Monarch, too.
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:32:20 AM

Hi, Dave Perry of Coding In My Sleep here. I realize this is serious necromancy (120+ day old post) but I just found the thread and felt the need to reply. I doubt most of the people who posted in this thread will be at all convinced by any statement I could give, but what have I got to lose, you already hate me, right?

Since this is so old I'm not sure when you refer to my promotion of the Monarch whether you're referring to the article I wrote or the fact that my sidebar ad was updated to reflect that product, so I'll address both.

As for the article, I've made it widely known that I'm big into mining and I'll release whatever news or review whatever product any company wants to send me. If these elements of my site disproportionately favor BFL it is merely because they have been more willing than most to give up information, products and face-time with their higher-ups. I had talks with the guys at Avalon that nothing ever came of, I did a couple of videos with a USB stick ASICMiner sent me, I'll take apart anything anyone wants to put in my hands. It's also important to recognize that BFL is the MtGox of the ASIC world - for better or worse they're a huge name that's been here for ages (comparatively speaking) and what they do is news.

Now for the ad. Frequent visitors to my site might notice that I've removed the "Sponsors" page entirely and only one ad remains in the left sidebar. This ad is the last ad that will ever appear on my site as I have moved (rather successfully) to a tip/donation system - for exactly this reason. I felt that I could not maintain any kind of objectivity with those ads on my site and I'd been bitten once or twice by inadequate vetting, which is not the sort of thing I have any desire in spending a lot of time on. The entire idea of putting manually-managed ads on the site was just a terrible idea that I'll not repeat. BFL's ad is the last remaining ad on my site simply because they bought a great deal of ad time in advance and it has yet to expire. The ad itself is hosted on their server so they can update it at any time and at some point around the time this post originated they did change the ad to one for the Monarch, hence why I'm not sure which thing we're even talking about. In any case, their time is up come June and then the entire sidebar will disappear.

As for my decision to keep (and mine with) the Jalapeno they provided me, all I can say is that it's an impossible situation to be put in. There's a lot of motivations to keep it, even aside from the financial aspect (want to see the first production Jalapeno ever made anyone?) and the ethics of that decision did in fact daunt me at the time. In all honesty what sealed my decision to keep the unit is that a few days later Ars Technica came out with their review and everyone kept saying what idiots they were for destroying their private key in the name of integrity. If I'm to be called a shill for keeping it or an idiot for returning it, then "shill" hurts a bit less... and pays better... and supports the network... and gets me a historical Bitcoin artifact that will sit proudly on a prominently-displayed shelf LONG after it's obsolete. How can you turn that down?

Many thanks to those who attempted my defense or preached reason. I'm honestly flattered that you care enough about what I write to have felt disappointed or angry when it didn't live up to expectations. For that small bit, I will apologize - I do the best I can with what I'm given to work with and always strive to do better. Hopefully you've stuck around and hopefully I've won you over again in the time that's passed. If not, I'll gladly listen to any reasonable criticism you'd like to offer. And a slice of that cheesecake bitcoinarnold was talking about. I'm not gonna lie, you've seen my picture. I do enjoy a good cheesecake.
freeAgent

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:47:34 PM

In all honesty what sealed my decision to keep the unit is that a few days later Ars Technica came out with their review and everyone kept saying what idiots they were for destroying their private key in the name of integrity. If I'm to be called a shill for keeping it or an idiot for returning it, then "shill" hurts a bit less... and pays better... and supports the network... and gets me a historical Bitcoin artifact that will sit proudly on a prominently-displayed shelf LONG after it's obsolete. How can you turn that down?

Ars Technica's route is not the only option.  You could also have donated the mining income to a charity.  That's what Wired did, but I'm sure you probably know that.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:58:34 AM

Who cares what he did with the btc?
jimmothy

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:19:55 AM

Who cares what he did with the btc?

Cause the Press has ethics that is why. Now you may not care but some of us do. Just like you probably care about what Mark did with the bitcoins? Or what pirate did with the bitcoins?

Lets try and hold the community to a level of ethics.

He was given a jalapeno to write up an article and give bfl publicity and he earned bitcoins by doing exactly that.

Whats the problem here?

You cant seriously be telling me he is unethical because he did not donate his time and bitcoins.

How much bitcoins do you donate?

What does mark and pirate literally stealing bitcoins have anything to do with one guy who wrote a nice little article on the jalapeno and got to keep the hardware in return.
jimmothy

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:48:28 AM

You are calling me 12 and yet you don't understand the concept of the free market.

Anyone can start a news outlet by writing informative articles that people want to read.

Wired and ars chose to donate their btc. Good for them.

And nobody gives a shit how much money you have. You could have over a thousand btc and still be equally dillusional.

Please take a second to realize you are comparing 2 people who have stolen thousands of btc to one guy who wrote a review on a $100 piece of hardware and got to keep it.

If you really have enough money to buy an island, why are you so butthurt about someone keeping ~$200 worth of bitcoins.
bitcoinarnold

Activity: 63

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:13:32 PM

he looks like he would sell his soul for a cheesecake
Zosergag

Activity: 85

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:30:58 PM

I learned more new words here than during all my study at university
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:43:07 AM

Ooh, a fat joke. Very original and impactful. I'm crying over that one, I totally promise. No one has ever told me I'm fat before.  Roll Eyes

Ars Technica's route is not the only option.  You could also have donated the mining income to a charity.  That's what Wired did, but I'm sure you probably know that.

A fair point, though in my defense their post was about 2 weeks after mine, by which point the name-calling had already begun and the damage was done. Wish I'd had the charity idea first, but that's not the way it played out. I've donated more than enough after the fact to offset the earnings from one Jalapeno, even one obtained so early, not that it will matter to anyone here.

Oh, and if I ever actually try to become a shill, I think I'd be a really bad one. Maybe if I'd heaped praise onto BFL instead of just putting out a demo and a teardown I'd have gotten an early Single or Monarch too. Too bad I just shot a couple videos and posted an objective presentation of what I was shown.

Of course this is an argument I'll never truly win since most of my haters aren't actually upset about the Jalapeno anyway, they're upset about the reason I knew the BFL people in the first place: The Sonny Vleisides Interview. Comically, that entire interview only existed because of the complete lack of fair and balanced reporting that existed in the Bitcoin space at the time.

The TL;DR version is that, like many in this space, Sonny Vleisides has a past and some people got their hands on that information and publicized the living daylights out of it, thoroughly demonizing the guy. I decided to see if I could speak to him myself, let him tell his story and present it to the public - everyone deserves at least that much, guilty or not, right?

Apparently not, because that was back in 2012 and I'm still catching shit for it today. You all say you want fair, balanced and ethical journalism but you don't. What you want is people pretending they have a crystal ball alternating between empty assurances and vitriolic fervor. I try not to interpret too much - People tell me things, then I write them down in a public place and let you all make up your own minds. My only crime was assuming that everyone was capable of absorbing that information and making rational decisions based upon it. My bad.
freeAgent

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 02:15:27 AM

Ooh, a fat joke. Very original and impactful. I'm crying over that one, I totally promise. No one has ever told me I'm fat before.  Roll Eyes

Ars Technica's route is not the only option.  You could also have donated the mining income to a charity.  That's what Wired did, but I'm sure you probably know that.

A fair point, though in my defense their post was about 2 weeks after mine, by which point the name-calling had already begun and the damage was done. Wish I'd had the charity idea first, but that's not the way it played out. I've donated more than enough after the fact to offset the earnings from one Jalapeno, even one obtained so early, not that it will matter to anyone here.

Oh, and if I ever actually try to become a shill, I think I'd be a really bad one. Maybe if I'd heaped praise onto BFL instead of just putting out a demo and a teardown I'd have gotten an early Single or Monarch too. Too bad I just shot a couple videos and posted an objective presentation of what I was shown.

Of course this is an argument I'll never truly win since most of my haters aren't actually upset about the Jalapeno anyway, they're upset about the reason I knew the BFL people in the first place: The Sonny Vleisides Interview. Comically, that entire interview only existed because of the complete lack of fair and balanced reporting that existed in the Bitcoin space at the time.

The TL;DR version is that, like many in this space, Sonny Vleisides has a past and some people got their hands on that information and publicized the living daylights out of it, thoroughly demonizing the guy. I decided to see if I could speak to him myself, let him tell his story and present it to the public - everyone deserves at least that much, guilty or not, right?

Apparently not, because that was back in 2012 and I'm still catching shit for it today. You all say you want fair, balanced and ethical journalism but you don't. What you want is people pretending they have a crystal ball alternating between empty assurances and vitriolic fervor. I try not to interpret too much - People tell me things, then I write them down in a public place and let you all make up your own minds. My only crime was assuming that everyone was capable of absorbing that information and making rational decisions based upon it. My bad.

I was the person who first uncovered and publicized that information about Sonny on Bitcointalk, and I think I did the Bitcoin world a service.  I think transparency is important in business dealings, and Sonny's past is certainly information that people should be aware of.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: