Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin could loose 90% of its value  (Read 785 times)
semarmesem195

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:05:08 PM

Wall Street veteran Peter Boockvar warns that Bitcoin could loose 90% of its value

Wall Street veteran Peter Boockvar predicts an epic crash will hit the cryptocurrency market.

He isn't sure if it'll come to a grinding halt or be a slow and steady drop — but he says it's coming.

Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group, is certain crypto is in a giant bubble, and the air is already coming out.

"When something goes parabolic like this has, it typically ends up to where that parabola began," he said on CNBC's "Futures Now."

Boockvar, a CNBC contributor, contends bitcoin is in danger of dropping 90 percent from current levels. He calls it a classic bubble.

"I wouldn't be surprised if over the next year it's down to $1,000 to $3,000," he added.

Once the cryptocurrency market cracks, he contends, investor attitudes toward risk assets will change. According to Boockvar, the stock market could see collateral damage, but it would all be based on psychology — not on anything that's fundamentally wrong with the economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/bitcoin-could-lose-90-percent-of-its-value-wall-st-veteran-boockvar-warns.html

I think it takes a very strong instinct to prove the event will happen or not. Then what about Dump and Pump? Does it have no effect in crypto ?. If that does not function anymore, then i think crypto will gradually crumble or maybe it will disappear.
I don't think it will happen because now this technology is not extinct but even more sophisticated. For example bitcoin mining is getting more and more sophisticated.

TRADE, EARN & OWN THE EXCHANGE           M o o n X           [    ●    JOIN ICO   -   S O O N    ●    ]
──────────     WHITEPAPER     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     LINKEDIN     TELEGRAM     CRUNCHBASE     ──────────
►   No Trading or ICO Listing Fees      ►   Superior to Nasdaq & LSE       ►   US$ 29M Raised in 2 Weeks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RonJohannson

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:26:47 PM

Sounds like he is comparing this to prior bubbles.  It's a lazy comparison, it's like saying my friend got fat from eating cake and you will too.  Well if I'm training to run the Boston marathon for the 10th time maybe I'm not going to get as fat as your lazy friend. 

Bitcoin can solve a problem, unlike Dutch tulips and collateralized debt obligations, and so the interest will remain.

moiseeva

Activity: 35
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:48:56 PM

In case it happens, I guess a lot of alt coins will also disappear from the market.
Braggar25

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:04:51 PM

Hate to admit it, but I believe that Bitcoin is losing its value everyday because of the many unserviced transactions and high fees.. People have started to avoid Bitcoin for micropayments.
Axelion

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:12:31 PM

Forget that greedy fools from wall street.
What if you had a power to change the price a little bit. They bringing the bad news and start buying.
And later you will cry over it why you didn't buy.
Fresh investment coming to crypto everyday. What are you afraid of.
Imagine that you own a bakery and everyday people buying your products. And every 3 months that multiplying with a few times.
July 2017 market cap value 50 billion, February 2018 market cap value 500 billion, and between that period people constantly saying that Bitcoin is dying.
What more proof do you need more?
stashi

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:15:29 PM

90% from 19K level, yeah.. check how much he has invested behind the screens Smiley
I bet investments from these behemoths are certain in bitcoin, for the external world they want to appear straight jacketed, rule book guys who are with the banks and large corporations.
When the blasphemy ends you will see the same folks with loads of bitcoins lining up in the exchanges.
ballexplorer

Activity: 201
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:13:52 AM

The bad news against the BTC is getting more and more. Governments worldwide have already announced and implemented regulations.
Now threatens also danger from the ranks of the crypto world
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:56:05 AM

That’s a “make me a hero” prediction. If it happens he’s the big hero. If it doesn’t happen no one will remember he said it. If they do remember he can just say it might take a little longer do to bla bla bla.
I agree , people have been saying this since bitcoin got in the public eye. Not that it is or isn't true what he is saying just that he has no way to know if and when it happens.
everyone is entitled to say anything its our freedom,but always remember that because its free,you will say everything even it see to make you fool,..if he can predict bitcoin could lose 90% or its value,so better to say that the who crypto will collapse since bitcoin is the highest valued coin..

For me it will never ever going to happen.let us time tells what will be the future is what is important now that we do our business here,gain as much as you can.so if things becomes possible we are ready to face such
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:38:53 AM

I think what he doesn't understand is that the main thing underpinning bitcoin at the moment is that it isn't correlated with other assets.

Witness the bond market sell off in recent days. Witness the nervousness that stocks will fall as the Fed hikes interest rates.

Over the last year you had loads of assets moving in concert, which is a nightmare for hedge funds because the whole point of them is that they hold uncorrelated assets. Hence the interest in bitcoin.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:02:48 AM
Merited by LFC_Bitcoin (1)

Here we go again, another fearless forecast coming from one of the antagonists of bitcoin Roll Eyes I understand that he call btc a classic bubble because haters of it usually say that, but the moment he predicted that it will go down to $1k -$3k per coin,  I think he's crazy Cheesy I'm not saying that his prediction is impossible to happen, what I'm saying is btc will take a lot of time and will undergo a lot of circumstances first before this may happen.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 12:10:41 PM

I think what he doesn't understand is that the main thing underpinning bitcoin at the moment is that it isn't correlated with other assets.

Witness the bond market sell off in recent days. Witness the nervousness that stocks will fall as the Fed hikes interest rates.

Over the last year you had loads of assets moving in concert, which is a nightmare for hedge funds because the whole point of them is that they hold uncorrelated assets. Hence the interest in bitcoin.
Yes, a wall street veteran does not need to be accurate with crypto currency predictions. Because those people are got practiced only with how traditional share market is trading whereas crypto currencies are gaining its value from the faith of people who are  speculating the advantages and benefits. So, crypto currencies are exceptional and they cannot be analyzed in a similar way how shares and forex markets are being analyzed.

In the past many veterans have found their failures in predicting the future of bitcoin, Warrent Buffet must be one of them. So we must move on this news as this will not impact into bitcoin's future in any ways.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Gargo

Activity: 585
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 01:14:33 PM

Experts predicting the end of bitcoin is a lot. Such predictions appear every day. How many of them have worked so far? Besides, such a situation is indeed possible at least theoretically.
gorodi

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:17:27 PM

In case it happens, I guess a lot of alt coins will also disappear from the market.
It sounds very odd. I do not think it will ever happen. we are all too deep in the world of crypto and in blockchain.
matuson

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:45:02 PM
Merited by Lieldoryn (1)

Experts predicting the end of bitcoin is a lot. Such predictions appear every day. How many of them have worked so far? Besides, such a situation is indeed possible at least theoretically.
No one knows how much experts earn for such predictions. In this game, at stake are big money. The whales can buy all the experts and media. But for me it is not a reason to sell my coins. I don't believe anyone. Each of us has independently made its choice in favor of bitcoin. Why should we listen to the opinion of experts bought.
maxamus

Activity: 833
Merit: 267

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:38:45 PM

It sounds very odd. I do not think it will ever happen. we are all too deep in the world of crypto and in blockchain.

There is no way bitcoin dropping down that much and I am sure in about 3 Month's time bitcoin will reach a new level or at least reach 15k mark and to be honest this slump was never expected to happened as people were predicting bitcoin to reach 40k by the beginning of this year but still let's hope for a recovery.

Am I spamming? Report me!
Nick Abimanyu

Activity: 406
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:39:19 PM

Wall Street veteran Peter Boockvar warns that Bitcoin could loose 90% of its value

Wall Street veteran Peter Boockvar predicts an epic crash will hit the cryptocurrency market.

He isn't sure if it'll come to a grinding halt or be a slow and steady drop — but he says it's coming.

Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group, is certain crypto is in a giant bubble, and the air is already coming out.

"When something goes parabolic like this has, it typically ends up to where that parabola began," he said on CNBC's "Futures Now."

Boockvar, a CNBC contributor, contends bitcoin is in danger of dropping 90 percent from current levels. He calls it a classic bubble.

"I wouldn't be surprised if over the next year it's down to $1,000 to $3,000," he added.

Once the cryptocurrency market cracks, he contends, investor attitudes toward risk assets will change. According to Boockvar, the stock market could see collateral damage, but it would all be based on psychology — not on anything that's fundamentally wrong with the economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/19/bitcoin-could-lose-90-percent-of-its-value-wall-st-veteran-boockvar-warns.html

Currently, negative assumptions have 'hit' bitcoin, in various media such as newspapers (both online and offline) to attack bitcoins. Fud has torn the bitcoin with (false) negative predictions as recently done by Tether.

But we must be heartened and be patient in facing this problem, we must hold on to our belief that bitcoin will not fall to 90%.
Idrisu

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:51:25 PM

Boockvar thank you for your view but I don't expect bitcoin to loose up to that value. I have been thinking that the current bearish market is about to be over. I think we should not follow most of this stocks traders' speculators as they are not always bring into consideration the fundamentals and technical fact about bitcoin and crypto currencies in particular.
syberwolfen

Activity: 790
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:55:52 PM

We cannot predict anything in crypto world but yes there are possibilities for this much drop as well but again there are possibilities even if bitcoin drops by 90% which might happen if huge investors cash out but again it can go back to the level what it was before the drop just by looking in a big investor.as demand and supply plays a major role in value of bitcoin.

Am I spamming? Report me!
andrei56

Activity: 840
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:51:08 AM

That’s a “make me a hero” prediction. If it happens he’s the big hero. If it doesn’t happen no one will remember he said it. If they do remember he can just say it might take a little longer do to bla bla bla.
Also the ones saying that do so in an effort to scare people away but if that were to happen I will not be scared I will be doing everything I can to get as much money possible and invest before bitcoin goes up, it will be incredible to be able to buy bitcoin at 1k everyone that lost that opportunity could have another chance to make money with those prices.
Kloug

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:38:19 AM
Merited by mprep (5), QuestionAuthority (5)

Also the ones saying that do so in an effort to scare people away but if that were to happen I will not be scared I will be doing everything I can to get as much money possible and invest before bitcoin goes up, it will be incredible to be able to buy bitcoin at 1k everyone that lost that opportunity could have another chance to make money with those prices.

Ok, and once you've scared people away, you know, that massive amount of new people who just got in, why are you so sure that they will come back to make your BTC rise again?
..or are you counting on whales to do that? Whales don't do that, they profit, they don't lose. If this market has been sucked dry, they will move to something else.

For BTC to reach the price you're hoping for, you need new people. So don't think "idiots are gonna be scared away, I will get rich buying BTC at 1k". Without those same idiots, your BTC will stay at 1k. And I'm pretty sure that if it does get back to 1k, it's gonna stay there for a couple of years before it goes for another ride.
..or it will be forgotten. Because BTC has no real use other than being an investment, and potentially a money system. If it ends up being THE one, then it'll be massive. But people decide of that, you can't predict which currencies they are gonna choose. Just like gold, it has no real reason to have that value. Litecoin or whatever could end up being the chosen one, you don't know.

I would rather bet on crypto that have a use, or ICOs. There, if you make enough research, you can get an opinion on what is solid, what is likely to get used. And then the only (but still big) risk you take is a competitor taking over the one you have picked.
Well it's the .com happening again. Not every coin will go back to nothing, some will pass through the bubble pop, it's a matter of picking them wisely. But Bitcoin? The only value of Bitcoin is its fame, and the fact that it's the grandfather of them all, the one that tells the value of all others. But things go fast these days, perhaps by picking Bitcoin you picked MySpace, and perhaps the Facebook is already there in the top 10, or it hasn't been created yet.
It has been challenged several times. While BCash is a too obvious scam, ETH is a more logical choice. I can well imagine a flippening to ETH, I wouldn't find that absurd. Even though ETH might be MySpace & NEO Facebook, who knows..
But by picking BTC you pick a form of gold in its infancy. If you picked right, it's gonna be big. If not, another one is gonna be big, and BTC will be forgotten. But the technology, come on.. It's great that it was the first, and it will be forever be in history books, but that has nothing to do with its value. It's not a currency, no crypto is ATM, and no crypto will be until stability (& that takes years). That's why BTC doesn't even need a lightning network right now (other than to fight BCash, but it looks like BCash has already digged its own grave), because one would be stupid to use it as a currency. To pay a pizza with a coin that is likely to be worth 10x as much in a near future, that doesn't make sense. Right now it's gold, and if you believe that people are attracted by this amazing technology of a decentralized coin, well you're wrong. People are there for money, and purely for that. Or XRP's wouldn't have reached the top.

Personally, I value the concept of decentralized crypto, I really do. But I think it may be any. BTC+lightning network? Why not. I think it's important to separate the (gold-like) value which the BTC has, and the quick payment system, the lightning network, even though I'm pretty sure people will eventually use a Paypal-like system, for the simple reason that people, those who don't fraud/don't hide their money that is, want insurance, want their money to have their name on it, and someone to speak to in case of problem. That doesn't need to be a bank, it can be a Paypal-like frontend, taking fees in-between.
But really it can be any coin, I don't see what technical advantage the BTC has, it may be too rooted in your mind that BTC will be the chosen one, that it will reach 500k, etc. But again, remember MySpace. I didn't have a MySpace, I don't have a Facebook, I don't give a shit about those things, but it's the perfect example of something big that gets replaced pretty quickly & then gets forgotten.

I'm also a programmer, and if I was to be asked to create the ideal crypto system, I would naturally go for a system like IOTA's. It has been said many times that its code is poor and that it has serious flaws, that may well be true and I haven't checked the details. But I'm just saying, if I was to base my choice of technology, on full scalability, I'd go for a system like IOTA's, where it's people making transactions who also verify transactions, not miners. And I'm pretty sure it's how the chosen coin will work - but perhaps not initially, because, again, I don't think that the technology matters. People don't care about the technology, they don't know what goes behind a bank transfer, they don't need nor want to know, their trust is entirely based on other people's trust. The trust in Bitcoin could have gone exponentially, last month. But it didn't. It's still at the top, but newcomers have no realized that there were plenty of other coins. The trust seems to have spread to a few top coins now. You may see ETH getting at the top next month, and ETH-based pairs for every ALT in every exchange. Or maybe not, who knows? It's entirely a game of prediction, but a prediction of where people's trust will go, whether it's directed by technology (I doubt it), profit-making (obviously), guru-following (certainly), or straight manipulation (seems to have worked for BCash..).

And I'm not dissing BTC, it's still the biggest part in my portfolio. And it's the coin that will forever be in history books, that's for sure. I've just realized that the predicted mass adoption of crypto (I don't have much doubts about that) might not mean mass adoption of BTC. That required heavy word of mouth, and it has just happened, but it has happened so well that people are now aware that BTC isn't alone. BTC dominance is at its lowest. The top lists some technically good coins as well as some scams, proving that the world does not care. It's all about trust, you can't predict anything.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: