Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:03:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core 0.15.1: RPC call to re-read config file?  (Read 196 times)
kobik (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:33:02 PM

I have seen the issue since 2011:

Signal and/or RPC call to re-read config file
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/309

Reload bitcoin.conf without restarting the program
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1158

New option and configuration framework:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/394

New rpc command "reloadconfig" to dynamically update configuration parameters (Issue #309). Command line parameters will not be overridden. Notice that many core parameters are used only during startup.

But such command does not seem to exists.

Why do I need it? - it seems that adding an entry wallet=mynewwallet.dat will create a new mynewwallet.dat if it does not exists when the program starts.
This is good since I want to be able to dynamically add wallets in a multi-wallet mode. but the server needs to restart entirely which is bad for me.

Is there an option I missed in Bitcoin Core RPC to reload the conf file? My version is 0.15.1 on Windows 10.

Thanks.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2018, 04:14:32 PM

New rpc command "reloadconfig" to dynamically update configuration parameters (Issue #309). Command line parameters will not be overridden. Notice that many core parameters are used only during startup.

But such command does not seem to exists.
Because that Pull Request was not merged.

Why do I need it? - it seems that adding an entry wallet=mynewwallet.dat will create a new mynewwallet.dat if it does not exists when the program starts.
This is good since I want to be able to dynamically add wallets in a multi-wallet mode. but the server needs to restart entirely which is bad for me.

Is there an option I missed in Bitcoin Core RPC to reload the conf file? My version is 0.15.1 on Windows 10.
No, there is not.

Reloading the bitcoin.conf file comes with a lot of potential consequences that can result in strange or broken behavior. There are many things that have to happen at startup in order for some things to work.

What you want is unrelated to the bitcoin.conf file. There is no need to let the bitcoin.conf file be reloaded in order to allow for wallets to by dynamically loaded and unloaded. Instead of jumping to that extreme, we can just add a feature that lets you dynamically load and unload wallets. In fact, there is an open pull request for exactly that: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10740. It is not merged yet so this behavior does not currently exist in Bitcoin Core. But hopefully in the next major release, it will.

kobik (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:30:57 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2018, 07:43:02 AM by kobik

What you want is unrelated to the bitcoin.conf file.

I know. but unfortunately I was looking for an immediate solution, since the new wallet features are not yet implemented.

Instead of jumping to that extreme, we can just add a feature that lets you dynamically load and unload wallets. In fact, there is an open pull request for exactly that: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10740. It is not merged yet so this behavior does not currently exist in Bitcoin Core. But hopefully in the next major release, it will.

The main feature I am after is creating new wallets on the fly. but that seems way too far:

laanwj modified the milestones: 0.16.0, 0.17.0 28 days ago

The new RPC endpoint e.g. localhost:8332/wallet/<wallatid> works just fine for me and I can query every wallet that is already loaded, but the main issue as I said is creating new wallets while the server is running.
I have no idea when you plan this feature to be released and I must get on with my project. I am willing to use any beta version that supports these features. BTW, Will there be a limit to the number of wallets that could be loaded?

Finally, do you by chance know of any other full node server alternatives other than Bitcoin Core that supports full node and multi-wallets with RPC? (I was hoping for a similar full node like ethereum geth where I can create separate independent (encrypted)  accounts/wallets)

Thanks  a million.
kobik (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 02:17:52 PM

What do you make of this?  Huh

it's from 2012
Dynamically Loadable Multiple Wallet Support Complete!!!

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2124

Was this idea abandoned back in 2012 and now re-implemented (maybe?)
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 04:21:42 PM

I know. but unfortunately I was looking for an immediate solution, since the new wallet features are not yet implemented.
No such immediate solution exists.

Finally, do you by chance know of any other full node server alternatives other than Bitcoin Core that supports full node and multi-wallets with RPC? (I was hoping for a similar full node like ethereum geth where I can create separate independent (encrypted)  accounts/wallets)
You can try btcd. I don't know if they support the functionality that you want, but it is a full node.

Was this idea abandoned back in 2012 and now re-implemented (maybe?)
Most of the functions in that PR are being reimplemented or have been reimplemented.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: