Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:09:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention new pool operators  (Read 3847 times)
Vladimir (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:44:52 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 09:52:47 AM by Vladimir

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AnnihilaT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 09:34:50 AM

I can verify that this is legit.... Vladimir had 50 GH pointed at my pool for the whole weekend.  He can do what he says.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 09:52:03 AM

I can verify that this is legit.... Vladimir had 50 GH pointed at my pool for the whole weekend.  He can do what he says.

But your pools now has 3GH... so whats the point... it didnt bring in any extras hashers

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:18:34 AM

But your pools now has 3GH... so whats the point... it didnt bring in any extras hashers

Wont argue with you there.... just saying that he can deliver what he says he can. Smiley
klaaster

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:29:25 AM

Bad luck.
It's a pity that no block was found.
With one or more computed blocks this would look different.
AnnihilaT

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:48:36 AM

agreed. :/   just bad luck.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:39:38 AM

How exactly do you measure "% of pool efficiency"?  Huh

Stale shares?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:50:13 PM

Using pool hopping it MIGHT be possible to get at least to 0 loss or even a small advantage using your hash rate, even though you charge ~9-10% above expected outcome.

It might be anyways easy to just set up a proxy pool like http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26866 and pay you for mining there, so no need on your side to install anything...

Would you be fine doing so or is this against your terms?

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:32:53 PM

Vladimir, you are welcome to join my pool and earn your income like everybody else.
Please, feel free to contact me via PM or in freenode.

Cheers!

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:42:53 PM

Using pool hopping it MIGHT be possible to get at least to 0 loss or even a small advantage using your hash rate, even though you charge ~9-10% above expected outcome.

Keep in mind Vladimir expects ~1,5BTC per hour at current difficulty when mining for your pool (that's PPS+10%). You better make sure your personal multipool is set up correctly, with 100% availability, and can actually handle more than 10 getwork requests per second. If it dies over night (8 hours), that's 8*~1,5BTC = ~12BTC. (Although I'm sure Vladimir has backups in place.)

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:43:37 PM

Trust me, I won't use such "services" - the little surplus that would be left after all would barely rectify all the work that would be needed to even run such a server etc. anyways + the risk of killing pools with that stuff is also quite high (hopping with my 600 MH/s is something different than with 50 GH/s, load wise).

If any pool operator is desperate/stupid enough to pay for this (in the end, you pay AT LEAST the equivalent of constant 5 GH/s to vladimir with him taking 0 risk at all! Just to make him flip a switch in a config script). I would rather flee from this pool because it means the pool operator is stupid (in my opinion).

NetTecture

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 06:52:35 PM

Yes, BUT:

If you just put in some BTC it gives you a chance to test your infrastructure for your own 20-30giga mining rigs you put up the next weeks Wink
skyhigh

Activity: 142

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:30:47 PM

First it was mining contracts and now you offer 50 Gh pool starter for ONLY 10% extra. You are really SPECiAL.

Others already explained pretty well whats wrong here, but I guess you will tell us, that pool owners are already lining up for this great service, along side all those smarts that are using your mining contracts that produce them excellent results for their money.
EskimoBob
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:09:57 PM

Vladimir, you are welcome to join my pool and earn your income like everybody else.
Please, feel free to contact me via PM or in freenode.

Cheers!

Thank you. I'll pass on this opportunity. I am quite happy to mine solo even if I am the last solo miner.

No problem. Every man can use hes rigs as he pleases.

I was just thinking what a morale booster this will be for all the small pools, when guys with 3-5GHash/s rigs start to show up and start putting the small guys on the map. Not just hoping from one pool to another, but really sticking with us, the small guys.
You do not loose any BTC and probably make even more.
In the long run, the whole bitcoin mining community will probably win... or soon we all be slaves to Big Pools and they can rob us blind if they please. Smiley

Like they say, fuck globalization, fuck big pool pools!

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 09:04:53 PM

As server costs are somewhat constant, but small pools might just have a VERY small income stream (everthing above 0% fee is not competitive) a small pool has a VERY high chance in my opinion to either go bankrupt, steal coins once a block has been solved (which might take a looooong time on many of these tiny pools) or do other nasty stuff.

EskimoBob
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:20:23 PM

I have to agree with you. This particular service makes as little sense as those absurdly expensive mining contract where all the risk is transfered to the buyer.

As server costs are somewhat constant, but small pools might just have a VERY small income stream (everthing above 0% fee is not competitive) a small pool has a VERY high chance in my opinion to either go bankrupt, steal coins once a block has been solved (which might take a looooong time on many of these tiny pools) or do other nasty stuff.

At the same time, no need to spread the FUD while you can actually help the whole mining community to grow stronger. Small pools (30Gh+) grow and big pools, with 3-10% fees, do not like this at all. This is normal, greed and fear and blaa blaa blaa. Smiley
Karma....

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:50:43 PM

Ok, reality check:

A pool with 30 GH/s might currently solve ~5 blocks per difficulty. If the pool keeps the transaction fees (some far bigger pools like mineco.in don't do that!) this results in ~0.5 BTC or ~1 BTC/month.

Can you really host a server and provide a good service for ~15 USD/month?! Also you loose everytime a quick block is found.

Pooled mining is about reducing variance at the cost of moving trust from yourself (= solo mining, with the highest possible variance) to pool operators (who hopefully pay out proper amounts etc.). Sorry, but someone slapping an open-source pool script on a cheap webhost is NOT what I consider trustworthy. Usually my first question(s) that I asked in nearly any "NEW POOL COMING UP; JOIN ALL IN!!!" thread couldn't even be answered by these "operators" (Usually I ask how/if transaction fees get distributed, if the pool operator keeps a fee and what's the payout model).

You help the mining community grow stronger by helping develop p2p-pool or actively testing and reporting bugs in miners and bitcoind. Not by opening the next xenland/simplecoin clone and hoping to get rich. Just read through the btcguild thread and you know how much work it means to grow from 50 to 500 to 5000 MH/s

skyhigh

Activity: 142

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:14:32 AM

Vladimir won't ever admit that both of his business ventures are complete nonsense.

Mining contracts that produce far less (less than 50%) bitcoins, that people could actually buy on the exchange on the day they would send him payment for his contract.

50 Gh of hashing power for PPS+10% offer for pool owners who actually try to help community by offering new pools for miners. He expects new pool owners to take a loss  just so they able to add a measly 50 Gh of power. After pool owner that accepts this service realizes pool needs natural growth and cuts Vladimir 50 Gh service, pool will most likely lose big % of other pool miners as well and in most cases soon return to its previous size or even get smaller as a result of this.

Vladimir won't admit any of this. He will rather keep on saying that whoever disagrees with him, even if they provide solid explanation and math behind it, are basically idiots and haters. He is running a business. Its just that this business makes no sense and will eventually slow down or even cease to exist  when all this initial bitcoin boom will cool down and general public gets more knowledgeable on the subject.

Can't wait to hear his next idea.

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:25:35 AM

Ok, reality check:

A pool with 30 GH/s might currently solve ~5 blocks per difficulty. If the pool keeps the transaction fees (some far bigger pools like mineco.in don't do that!) this results in ~0.5 BTC or ~1 BTC/month.

Can you really host a server and provide a good service for ~15 USD/month?! Also you loose everytime a quick block is found.

Pooled mining is about reducing variance at the cost of moving trust from yourself (= solo mining, with the highest possible variance) to pool operators (who hopefully pay out proper amounts etc.). Sorry, but someone slapping an open-source pool script on a cheap webhost is NOT what I consider trustworthy. Usually my first question(s) that I asked in nearly any "NEW POOL COMING UP; JOIN ALL IN!!!" thread couldn't even be answered by these "operators" (Usually I ask how/if transaction fees get distributed, if the pool operator keeps a fee and what's the payout model).

You help the mining community grow stronger by helping develop p2p-pool or actively testing and reporting bugs in miners and bitcoind. Not by opening the next xenland/simplecoin clone and hoping to get rich. Just read through the btcguild thread and you know how much work it means to grow from 50 to 500 to 5000 MH/s
You are grossly underestimating the amount of time it takes to get pushpool and mining farm(xenland)/simplecoin to work.  You don't just slap it up and hope to get rich.  I have had to recode hundreds of lines of code and diagnose for hundreds of hours to get to where we are today.  We also don't use a cheap webhost, the bill stings right now to be honest.  I have a feeling you haven't tried to get a public pool running and you are guessing with your comments.
EskimoBob
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:54:00 AM

You are grossly underestimating the amount of time it takes to get pushpool and mining farm(xenland)/simplecoin to work.  You don't just slap it up and hope to get rich.  I have had to recode hundreds of lines of code and diagnose for hundreds of hours to get to where we are today.  We also don't use a cheap webhost, the bill stings right now to be honest.  I have a feeling you haven't tried to get a public pool running and you are guessing with your comments.

By "You", you mean Vladimir?

I joined the Triplemining when they had 18 miners Smiley an stared my own so called "mini pool". Yes, the same one that forum administrator attacked because some morons got carried away with posting invitations.  Cry

At the moment, we are cruising along at ~40 Ghs and have about 145 active miners.
I think the pool owners have done wonderful job keeping everything up and running. Yes, we had some bad luck with a massive block an it took us forever and some miners deserted the pool (dropped from 70Ghs).
Most important for slow miner like me is this: my final payouts are slightly better than in other pools I tested, even when I have no income from my minipool members.

So, if any of you likes to join us on same terms as everybody else, you are more than welcome. Maybe you are better off joining us than staring another pool and going trough all the bull shit and shit storms new pools have to.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: