Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:48:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else having issues with their Antminer A3?  (Read 2232 times)
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 11:09:30 PM

I have my A3 running at stock frequency with one APW3++ @ 115v (per my Kil-a-watt) with no problems since I got it. Why are you guys hooking up more PSUs to yours, if you are already using an APW3++? I don't even have the benefit of cold weather, with the high being in the 80s lately.
APW3++ are 1200W at 110V. Miner is about 1350W What you're doing may be working, but you're pushing the PSU outside the specs, and that is a risk.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 12:20:21 AM

I have my A3 running at stock frequency with one APW3++ @ 115v (per my Kil-a-watt) with no problems since I got it. Why are you guys hooking up more PSUs to yours, if you are already using an APW3++? I don't even have the benefit of cold weather, with the high being in the 80s lately.
APW3++ are 1200W at 110V. Miner is about 1350W What you're doing may be working, but you're pushing the PSU outside the specs, and that is a risk.

Seconded. I suggest switching to 220 or adding a second PSU for one of the cards. Also keep in mind that if you're on a 15a circuit, you're pushing its limits and likely those of the wiring.
STATIK

Activity: 162
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 04:58:47 AM

And also starving the chips and the fans fighting for power..
sk8rax350

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:04:39 AM

Per Bitmain, the A3 is 1,186 watts DC. The power coming out of your wall is AC. The PSU converts AC to usable DC power, with some loss in the conversion process, leading to a higher draw in AC power at the wall than provided to the miner in DC. The only things one APW3++ can't solely power on 110v within specs at stock frequency, with its 1,200 watts DC max, are most S9s (11.5 TH/s batch excluded) and the T9. The APW3++ is operating within its specs, even if it is close to the top with the A3.
sk8rax350

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:15:07 AM

Seconded. I suggest switching to 220 or adding a second PSU for one of the cards. Also keep in mind that if you're on a 15a circuit, you're pushing its limits and likely those of the wiring.

220V would be optimal, with better efficiency from the PSU, but a 15A 110V circuit is plenty capable of handling the load. I wouldn't recommend much more of anything on the circuit though. Don't forget to gauge your PSU power cord properly, especially if you go the single PSU route like I am!
sk8rax350

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 07:23:12 AM

My 830GH/s average at the stock frequency of 600 says differently!  Cool
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 10:17:33 AM

Per Bitmain, the A3 is 1,186 watts DC. The power coming out of your wall is AC. The PSU converts AC to usable DC power, with some loss in the conversion process, leading to a higher draw in AC power at the wall than provided to the miner in DC. The only things one APW3++ can't solely power on 110v within specs at stock frequency, with its 1,200 watts DC max, are most S9s (11.5 TH/s batch excluded) and the T9. The APW3++ is operating within its specs, even if it is close to the top with the A3.
You are correct the page says that now. I'm pretty sure it said something different when I first checked, or maybe I got caught in people repeating that 1300W+ figure over and over. I know someone measured 1500W at the wall too (without overclock IIRC). In any case, if you're pulling less than about 1300W at the wall you should be OK.

I have 220V installation and most miners do because server PSUs usually give you more watts at 220V and you can take advantage of that. PSUs are usually more efficient at 220V too. Also, dealing with half the amps help with breakers, cables, etc...
greyday

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 12:50:58 PM

You are correct the page says that now. I'm pretty sure it said something different when I first checked, or maybe I got caught in people repeating that 1300W+ figure over and over. I know someone measured 1500W at the wall too (without overclock IIRC). In any case, if you're pulling less than about 1300W at the wall you should be OK.

I have 220V installation and most miners do because server PSUs usually give you more watts at 220V and you can take advantage of that. PSUs are usually more efficient at 220V too. Also, dealing with half the amps help with breakers, cables, etc...

The page does say that now, but as you rightly point out, draw at the wall is being reported much higher. Then again, maybe the March batch runs more efficiently? Makes me think of the D3, which is currently listed as being stock @ 15gh/s at the same 1200 wattage as the batch I got (which was listed and defaults @ 19gh/s). Not sure if the hardware is different, but considering that with BlissZ's firmware I can get 15gh/s out of mine @750...I trust my kill-o-watt way more than I trust Bitmain's numbers, especially when the listing isn't the same batch as the miner I'm using.

Half the amps is somewhat of a misnomer, you can run twice the amperage of a 220v intake breaker at 110v. The amperage on a breaker is a safety cut off, you still calculate the total wattage. Not really relevant either way, though, since 220s take up twice the space as 110s in the breaker box anyway...

And second vote in most cases for 220 (even though all my rigs are 110), PSUs and especially server PSUs run around 5% more efficiently (iirc) at 220. But at gold rating and above that discrepancy diminishes (or so I'm told, I can't currently do a comparison).
Ulewap

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 09:04:27 PM

@ulewap

how did you fix your connection error?

do you have it plugged into a 110v or 220v?

220v. but had to send it back to china... will receive it hopefully in a few days. see if I can mine some sia if there is some left to mine
STATIK

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 01:02:21 AM

My 830GH/s average at the stock frequency of 600 says differently!  Cool
That may be but you see what the required power for it is per manufacturer, either way nothing ill intended here... Roll Eyes
Blkmktinsurance

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:34:12 PM

i had a problem with a string of asics giving X's.

I changed the frequency from 600 to 550

it worked, once stable, slowly increased back to 600.

stable 2 days now
STATIK

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 07:07:39 AM

https://file.bitmain.com/shop-file-server/firmwares/Antiminer%20A3/Manual/007201802091050251715B3L9tLw0659/A3%20installation%20guide.pdf
btcneodev

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:35:57 AM

i had a problem with a string of asics giving X's.

I changed the frequency from 600 to 550

it worked, once stable, slowly increased back to 600.

stable 2 days now

Yes, it is always suggested to lower the frequency at the beginning, then slowly increase it. Same job on every miner including GPU.
STATIK

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 01:37:36 AM

Thanks for the help. Will try this.

I have a copy of the firmware, Bitmain emailed it to me in a support ticket. And I've tried reflashing it to no avail.

But I will try to do this when powering up only the main board and let you know. Thanks again.
I have the same problem with you about the A3....I can't connect to A3 miner status, miner configuration , etc. Just blank overview page.
Did you solve your problem already?
Network settings generally the problem, also above you have a complete manual I posted earlier. Considering these miners just came out there is no new firmware for this miner yet as Dec version is all that is available I suggest a change from static to DHCP if you have it enabled on your network
STATIK

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:44:08 AM

My A3 problem is when it started as soon as the fan blowing fast, the red led was blinking and then the fan slow again. And then the fan started blowing fast and the red led was blinking and the fan slowing again. And it repeating itself on this condition.
I can't get into A3 monitoring page. I get blank info and can't go to miner status, configuration, network etc. I resetted several time but the problem still the same.

Any help??

here the video of this problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnlaL6h9kHc

So you are saying you cannot change between pages over to NETWORK settings?
greyday

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 07:25:07 AM

My A3 problem is when it started as soon as the fan blowing fast, the red led was blinking and then the fan slow again. And then the fan started blowing fast and the red led was blinking and the fan slowing again. And it repeating itself on this condition.
I can't get into A3 monitoring page. I get blank info and can't go to miner status, configuration, network etc. I resetted several time but the problem still the same.

Any help??

You may need to try booting from a microSD card. There are instrux on Bitmain's support page...
jessamp

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 03:33:46 PM

Any help??

Hashboard fault. Either due to corrupt firmware, or faulty/damaged hash board. Check the Kernel Log while it is booting up. You should be able to see errors in there.
STATIK

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 05:07:46 AM

Any help??

So you are saying you cannot change between pages over to NETWORK settings?
yes
If you can successfully get to a kernel log page it should show your failures or errors but sounds to me you really cannot access anything, however for the sake of hindsight go through this manual if you have not already and see about default reset procedure on page 16

https://file.bitmain.com/shop-file-server/firmwares/Antiminer%20A3/Manual/007201802091050251715B3L9tLw0659/A3%20installation%20guide.pdf

ASIC status
O means OK
X means error
--means dead

If nothing is displayed it does not have to mean they're dead
FNT

Activity: 75
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 09:08:57 AM

Hi guys,

Could anybody please post a picture - in good quality- of an hasboard?
I'd like to see which PIC,etc they are using.

Thanks a lot and bye, FNT

Trading with neural networks... https://forexneurotrader.com
DMAN_LTC

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 03:29:07 PM

I'm new to Mining so I'm trying to decided if I should stick my Antminer A3 in the Cooler for noise reduction

or if buying a "Silent Jet Fan" like the ones that the Antminer s5 are modified with by their owners will work?

Modified Cooler or Silent Jet Fan?  Or better options (liquid Mineral Oil might be too much).

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: