Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:58:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake question  (Read 226 times)
Ariosvaldo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:36:20 PM

Hello,

I see poof of stake currencies giving annual return of 4~8% for miners. But i dont get what is so good about that, i mean, you need to buy the currency and let you pc work to have an annual return similar to a bank? I get that you can get a lot more than that if the coin value rises, but thats it or has something else that im missing?

Can someone clarify this to me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Miningstore

Activity: 107
Merit: 1

Miningstore.com - Mining Rigs and Rig Hosting

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:27:52 PM
Merited by bittawm (1)

While both systems assume much greater profits if a cryptocurrency increases in value, it is indeed true that PoW currently produces larger returns than PoS. However, this change in return is by design. Staking requires much less energy, hardware, and other such overheads than mining-based protocols. These factors lead to the argument that the payout should be significantly less to reflect what you're actually putting in. As far as decentralized cryptocurrencies are concerned though, PoS has a long path ahead to reach broad public adoption. Ethereum's proposal for PoS, called Casper, is currently being tested on an alpha test-network. Casper has a long way to go before being implemented on the main network, and is also only a hybrid PoW/PoS solution. It's the belief of many in the mining community that given the current upwards trend in altcoins, mining will continue to be very profitable for quite some time. Additionally, when Ethereum does fully adopt PoS, miners have the ability to "dual mine" and diversify their portfolio. Our miners currently support dual mining Ether and ZCash, and setting up dual mining on your own rig is very easy with projects like Claymore and EthOS. Should you invest in mining now, you could easily convert over to another cryptocurrency when the time comes for Ethereum, and even use some of your profits to Stake simultaneously. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!
-Miningstore.co

Host your Antminer S9 starting at $82 a unit at www.miningstore.com
Ariosvaldo (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:50:32 PM

Thanks, your post was very enlightening!
Miningstore

Activity: 107
Merit: 1

Miningstore.com - Mining Rigs and Rig Hosting

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2018, 09:53:05 PM

Happy to help! Here's some great documents on Casper by the way. 

https://medium.com/@jonchoi/ethereum-casper-101-7a851a4f1eb0
https://hackmd.io/s/Hk6UiFU7z
https://arxiv.org/abs/1710.09437

Host your Antminer S9 starting at $82 a unit at www.miningstore.com
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:47:13 PM

Hello,

I see poof of stake currencies giving annual return of 4~8% for miners. But i dont get what is so good about that, i mean, you need to buy the currency and let you pc work to have an annual return similar to a bank? I get that you can get a lot more than that if the coin value rises, but thats it or has something else that im missing?

Can someone clarify this to me?

many have higher rewards than this - dmd, lux, monkey, neblio, etc
CrazyJoker

Activity: 689
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:29:02 PM

While both systems assume much greater profits if a cryptocurrency increases in value, it is indeed true that PoW currently produces larger returns than PoS. However, this change in return is by design. Staking requires much less energy, hardware, and other such overheads than mining-based protocols. These factors lead to the argument that the payout should be significantly less to reflect what you're actually putting in. As far as decentralized cryptocurrencies are concerned though, PoS has a long path ahead to reach broad public adoption. Ethereum's proposal for PoS, called Casper, is currently being tested on an alpha test-network. Casper has a long way to go before being implemented on the main network, and is also only a hybrid PoW/PoS solution. It's the belief of many in the mining community that given the current upwards trend in altcoins, mining will continue to be very profitable for quite some time. Additionally, when Ethereum does fully adopt PoS, miners have the ability to "dual mine" and diversify their portfolio. Our miners currently support dual mining Ether and ZCash, and setting up dual mining on your own rig is very easy with projects like Claymore and EthOS. Should you invest in mining now, you could easily convert over to another cryptocurrency when the time comes for Ethereum, and even use some of your profits to Stake simultaneously. Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!
-Miningstore.co
Thank you very much for so full informative answer. I even don’t know what to add.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:21:34 AM

I haven't seen any proof of stake coin that offered 4% per year (INVESTMENT returns not included).

But I would also consider 8% a joke, given the high inherent risk of a PoS coin inherent REQUIREMENT that you have your wallet online all the time to stake with.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Digital Drug Lord

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:12:54 AM

I haven't seen any proof of stake coin that offered 4% per year (INVESTMENT returns not included).

But I would also consider 8% a joke, given the high inherent risk of a PoS coin inherent REQUIREMENT that you have your wallet online all the time to stake with.

POS to me means peice of shit. its a scam like a master node. some coins try to sell being a master node, I have seen crazy prices like $27,000 to become a master node.

POS and Master Nodes is a sneaky little word for ICO. you have to buy their shit coins, and hope they dont do an exit scam or fuck you over.

then, they want you to leave your windows wallet online all the time, if your coins vanish one day, they can just blame malware and there goes your investment
ico41

Activity: 82
Merit: 13

Nothing in the cry of cicadas suggests ...

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 06:36:03 AM

POS to me means peice of shit. its a scam like a master node. some coins try to sell being a master node, I have seen crazy prices like $27,000 to become a master node.

POS and Master Nodes is a sneaky little word for ICO. you have to buy their shit coins, and hope they dont do an exit scam or fuck you over.

then, they want you to leave your windows wallet online all the time, if your coins vanish one day, they can just blame malware and there goes your investment

I think this is certainly true of SOME masternode coins, but others are run pretty well and have track records.  The return is designed to go downward with time - for instance, DASH. It would be great if these masternode coins that are coming out very fast now were as reputable as DASH and would have the staying power that coin does.  But some are/may - we will see in time. I don't think they will ALL run away or die on the vine.  Just probably most of them.

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 06:51:09 AM

More coins in wallet ,more reward from pos.
x8664amd

Activity: 129
Merit: 6

Long term HODLer since 2014

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 06:56:40 AM

https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Proof-of-Stake-FAQ

Take a look at this. Great introduction on PoS by Ethereum team.  Smiley

Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Just HODL.
phuocduong

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 07:02:53 AM

hi, you should setup wallet in HDD your PC, and tranfer coin in this wallet, if coin have POS, it auto POS, reward about your coin in wallet (weight) ... Hope it useful for you
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: