Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:30:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166607 times)
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1510

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:18:59 AM

Agree 100% with this.  A new window, or maybe just code in a little box next to the post where you can type the Merit you want to give and then hit Give or something.

I'll also vote for some sort of CSS dropdown box. I guess you'd have to use XHR for fetching and verifying smerit, which theymos may not want however.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:19:10 AM
Merited by SushGo (2)

Many users must be crying at the moment, specially those who are into the account farming; I hope this system will be helpful to keep this forum clean. I am not sure, but is there any possibility to abuse this merit system by the merit sources for their personal gain ? I mean, what if someone is ready to sell the merits ? I know, it will never happen but still have some doubts.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:19:23 AM

With this new function, i think that only member that are already member rank or higher before today get Merit point because it's free one time Merit point. and the other with lower rank will never get enough Merit point to up level.

From where I stand I'm equally likely to merit a noob or a legendary... as long as the post is worth it.

What will happen if use all the sMerit I have? Do I get more?

0.5 for each merit you get.

yeah a new function and you got 1000 Merit point without doing anything. cool

Don’t feel bad, Bruce Wagner has 250 merit, cablepair has 500 merit, cypherdoc has 1000 merit, MagicalTux (aka Mark Karpeles) has 500 merit, Inaba (aka EclipseMC, Butterfly Labs, his trust rating is the worst I’ve ever seen -9999: -15 / +4p) has 1000 merit.

I don’t think it matters what your merit is unless you want to jump ranks and be able to make signature money. This might help the mods out by cutting down on the meaningless posts aimed only at post count. Hopefully “merit” will succeed where “activity” failed miserably. It will be interesting to see how Merit is gamed. I can definitely see account sales increasing now.
It seems to be hard to get merits from others. I think it is simply because users should keep merits for themselves in order to be ranked up. Quite hard to get rewarded merits, I guess.

You seem to have a misunderstanding because if you give merits to others, you are giving from your spendable pool, and such spending does not take away from your actual merits that are shown on your page.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:19:47 AM

Can we ask for merits for an exchange of service?
Like, '5 merits for making signature designs'
Or will it be against the rules just like trust farming?
No. If you do that you will be neg. rated, and possibly banned.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:20:03 AM

Since this Merit system is still new, It will be a good idea for Theymos to come up with a clear Do's and Dont's in giving Merits. It's better for us to have a clear guideline as to when to give and when NOT to give. I think its easy for us to assume when to give, but for when NOT to give merit is something that needs to have a clear guideline so we don't just assume.
tambenile

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:20:23 AM

No offense but i have few questions for all people in here:
1. How many people are willing to give your sMerit to a stanger high quality poster( He's a newbie, a junior member or a member not Hero or Legendary ones)? And How much ? 1 or 2 ?
2. And what's gonna happen when high rank member ( who doesn't need those sMerits for ranking up ) abuses this sMerit system for another extra income or adulates higher rank member for trusted feedbacks ?
Anon11073

Activity: 896
Merit: 289

Twitter: @BTY_11073

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:20:30 AM

Yeah, a great attempt.
More constructive writing will increase.

I'm a former moderator of Bitcointalk Japanere borad.
Decred is a true community governance cryptocurrency.
btcformula

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:22:41 AM

In addition to activity, everyone now has a merit score, and you need both a certain activity level and a certain merit score in order to reach higher member ranks. The required scores are:

RankRequired activityRequired merit
Brand new00
Newbie10
Jr Member300
Member6010
Full Member120100
Sr. Member240250
Hero Member480500
LegendaryRandom in the range 775-10301000

You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.

Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

The forum ranking system is a bit complicated now... It'd be nice if someone made an infographic explaining activity and merit.

If you want to be a merit source:

Collect TEN posts that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread.

Trivia:

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

If someone sends you 1 merit, the 0.5 sMerit is not wasted; it is just not shown until you get another merit point.

Now I can send 4 merits, so what will happen when I spend all 4 merit.
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:22:51 AM

Many users must be crying at the moment, specially those who are into the account farming; I hope this system will be helpful to keep this forum clean. I am not sure, but is there any possibility to abuse this merit system by the merit sources for their personal gain ? I mean, what if someone is ready to sell the merits ? I know, it will never happen but still have some doubts.

It may actually happen, especially for those who are desperate enough or has been innovative enough to find ways of earning money. If people have been selling accounts, then in the future there may be a black market for merit points.
Ravi_MHW

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:23:08 AM

According to my mind this is a good idea.because this system is very reasonable to everyone .new people who join to bitcointalk who don't know the system what happens here.so they can up their rank by activity.. All are need to wait now for up their ranks. So no more scams .
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:23:43 AM

Since this Merit system is still new, It will be a good idea for Theymos to come up with a clear Do's and Dont's in giving Merits. It's better for us to have a clear guideline as to when to give and when NOT to give. I think its easy for us to assume when to give, but for when NOT to give merit is something that needs to have a clear guideline so we don't just assume.
Is this clear enough?

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

1. How many people are willing to give your merits to a stanger high quality poster( He's a newbie, a junior member or a member not Hero or Legendary ones)? And How much ? 1 or 2 ?
You dont give your merit. You give sMerit which you yourself can never use.
Read the dummie tl;dr in the first reply if you cant understand the OP or are too lazy to read a long post.

You dont spend merit, you spend sMerit. If you gain new merit, you will also gain new sMerit for spending.
If your posts are crap and you dont get any Merit for them, you also wont get any sMerit to reward posts yourself.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
yourcatsofat

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:25:21 AM

So, the main question is why did not you give merits based on activity?
tambenile

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:27:15 AM

1. How many people are willing to give your merits to a stanger high quality poster( He's a newbie, a junior member or a member not Hero or Legendary ones)? And How much ? 1 or 2 ?
You dont give your merit. You give sMerit which you yourself can never use.
Read the dummie tl;dr in the first reply if you cant understand the OP or are too lazy to read a long post.
[/quote]

Yeah i fixed it , thank you Lutpin.

Yes i do think this is a brilliant ideal.
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1403

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:28:35 AM

Because being active in the forum doesnt mean that you dont shitpost here. This is pretty much better than the old system

Just a question here, I got 20 smerit as starter . I guess this is the same for every Hero member currently? or probably random ?

Edit : is there a link for this?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
MairaObergh

Activity: 270
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:29:01 AM

I guess a thread that I wrote in was deleted, which sent me back to a Full Member, right before this new merit thing. And I guess that even though I'm at 240 now, I won't be able to go back to Sr. Member.
levyashin

Activity: 980
Merit: 276

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:30:05 AM

Do merits regenerate through time?

Or only merit sources can make them?

The smerits we have at the beginning won't regenerate after it is over? Only we will get 1/2 from merits we received right?

krishnaverma

Activity: 1274
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:30:20 AM

Because it will not stop spam posts. Activity can be gained by just making  posts daily one on average. Merit is to ensure that people make quality posts.

You cannot send anymore. When you receive more merits in future, you will get half of those as sendable merits which you can again send to other members.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 07:31:07 AM
Merited by Mitchell (5)

Just a question here, I got 20 smerit as starter . I guess this is the same for every Hero member currently? or probably random ?
No, it isn't.

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

Do merits regenerate through time?
No, merits can only be gained from other users, through high quality posts.

Or only merit sources can make them?
No, merit sources generate "source merit" which is a special form of sMerit. They do not generate merit for themselves.

The smerits we have at the beginning won't regenerate after it is over? Only we will get 1/2 from merits we received right?
That's correct, that is your free pack of sMerit, use them wisely.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
CoolWave

Activity: 630
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:31:49 AM

The forum ranking system is a bit complicated now... It'd be nice if someone made an infographic explaining activity and merit.

According to me it is more "difficult" than complicated to achieve a higher rank . The one I was expecting was "TRUST" system which is consistently abused by "MORONS" of bitcointalk . I seriously hate the trust system you have developed . It should rather be based upon common people and not some "morons" who are authorised to just abuse anyone's trust .
suvo05

Activity: 1162
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:34:14 AM

over the rules about merit, what I'm worried about is the illegal system of buying and selling of merit and also the existence of a group that give each other merit among members in the group
I hope it will not happen
Yes! I am scared of this too. Everyone from member can sell Merits now. There will be a dark market I think. The same history as the selling of accounts.

No system can be made totally fair, may be their will be a illegal market of buying and selling of merit, but if a user get too many merit on a useless post then everyone can detect it.
And to level up the user also needed the required activity also(which is still unchanged). So the Merit score is the extra protection to resist a spammer to rank up.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: