Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:25:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166607 times)
SEELE^^01

Activity: 952
Merit: 137

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:51:57 PM

Next step is KYC to open a BitcoinTalk account. haha!

Victor

i lol'd hard Smiley absolutely true and would definitely kill all those newbie farming accounts in an instant Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ginzink

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:55:16 PM

Victor

KYC to go above a certain rank is actualy not a bad idea. But it would take alot of resources?
And i would imagine it would demand more in terms of security?

Being active in small coins where there arent many senior members will not give alot of merit even though you are helpfull.
That is a flaw. But no system is perfect, and something had to be done!
prehisto

Activity: 882
Merit: 112

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:55:54 PM
Merited by Schirer (1)

Victor

i lol'd hard Smiley absolutely true and would definitely kill all those newbie farming accounts in an instant Smiley

I believe that there would be better solutions than current Merit system as phone verification upon registration, it would dramatically decrease account farming .
Other possible solution award system for reporting spam and low quality posts.

Hope that Merit system will work.  

X L S L A B S ◉◉◉ INTERNET OF TRUST ◉◉◉ X L S L A B S
If you care about your personal data, you need to understand its future.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ TelegramTwitterBitcointalk ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:56:41 PM

This makes sense, but to avoid wasting sMerits - which should be used to support helpful community members to raise in rank - it would still be good to either reject the reward to legendaries, or maybe don't subtract the given sMerits in that case.
I disagree. Not all legendaries are equal, and Merit points may finally be what makes some stand out from others.

Good point. You are helpful as always. sMerit from me.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
InvestorBelarus

Activity: 42
Merit: 9

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:58:45 PM

-Merit (Dislike) is necessary too.
warwar

Activity: 798
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:59:06 PM

I think that after this innovation many speculators will start trading merits. In my opinion, it is necessary to watch out for this.

I also hear about seelling merits but still i dont  know how they will do that since the system is new and it is only limited to 50 merits you can able to send (correct me if I am wrong). Mostly now the people is just figuring it out how they do that .

-Merit (Dislike) is necessary too.

As stated in the post of it is necessary to add demerit they will add it the reason why it is not added is because they think the merits alone will fix those spamming and shit posting
Marine8

Activity: 195
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 01:00:04 PM

From the look of things,legendary members do not need merits anymore.That is to say,it does not affect them in anyway.But they are those that are currently being given the higher number of merits by others. Hardly will you see a newbie or a jnr member being given a merit so far.Well,the merit system just started and we cant jump to conclusion how the trend will be.But i foresee that lower ranked members will struggle to get merits. I must say that this is an important check system that has been put in place,but i see myself being a newbie for another year or two. Grin Grin Grin

△ M!R△CLE TELE   ▌  BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY  ▐   JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Dr_Nefario

Activity: 518

minter.network

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:00:14 PM

Victor

In General, this option can also be considered. But for example not for everyone, but for those who are engaged in commercial activity.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
Ginzink

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:01:05 PM

I think that after this innovation many speculators will start trading merits. In my opinion, it is necessary to watch out for this.

Only the higher ranked members have enough merit to make a difference unless a lot of acounts give one merit.
And it would be easy to spot. We have alot of passionate legendaries that check and give negative trust today to accounts that posts trash.
I would immagine they would spot this as well.
Ginzink

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:01:53 PM
Merited by Sniar (3)

From the look of things,legendary members do not need merits anymore.That is to say,it does not affect them in anyway.But they are those that are currently being given the higher number of merits by others. Hardly will you see a newbie or a jnr member being given a merit so far.Well,the merit system just started and we cant jump to conclusion how the trend will be.But i foresee that lower ranked members will struggle to get merits. I must say that this is an important check system that has been put in place,but i see myself being a newbie for another year or two. Grin Grin Grin

If you cant get 10 merit over 2 years you deserve to be a newbie* for two years :p

*Jr member
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:03:57 PM

There are also ways to farm Merit Points so the Mods/Merit Sources have to be careful, here is just a scenario:
You create 10 accounts, then you start spamming with all 10.
You report all the spams accounts you created from your main account and there you have Merit points for reporting spammer.
There always be someone trying to cheat the system unfortunately, so Admins and Mods have to be aware of this.

by rallier
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1334

just in case

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 01:04:25 PM

What about rank up?
If user ranked up, do he take a new sendable merit?

signature not found.
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:04:35 PM

In addition to activity, everyone now has a merit score, and you need both a certain activity level and a certain merit score in order to reach higher member ranks. The required scores are:

RankRequired activityRequired merit
Brand new00
Newbie10
Jr Member300
Member6010
Full Member120100
Sr. Member240250
Hero Member480500
LegendaryRandom in the range 775-10301000

You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.

Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.

There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

The forum ranking system is a bit complicated now... It'd be nice if someone made an infographic explaining activity and merit.

If you want to be a merit source:

Collect TEN posts that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread.

Trivia:

For current members, your initial merit score is equal to the minimum required to your rank. Of that, a certain amount (less than the usual half) is spendable. The spendable amount was calculated based on your current rank and the number of activity points you earned in the last year. A Legendary member who hasn't posted in the last year would still be Legendary, but would not have any spendable merit.

If someone sends you 1 merit, the 0.5 sMerit is not wasted; it is just not shown until you get another merit point.

Cool way to implement a method by which you will try to get better comments out of the forum in general, also values other peoples comments more etc based on their general level of participation. May be worth implementing the compensatory system on the negative side as well as you had suggested - to show people when someone is creating threads and posts with very nebulous or indeterminate concepts/questions just for the sake of gaining a post (to level their account up)

If your desire is to be less punitive you can do it as a here after etc - i.e. after x date we will be measuring this as a metric.

Will also discourage the post "noise" which I think you may desire to cut out

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 01:05:24 PM

You report all the spams accounts you created from your main account and there you have Merit points for reporting spammer.
Merit points are awarded for good posts, not for valid reports to moderators.
The problem is non-existent as the reward is non-existent. You didn't understand how the system works.
Read the OP again.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
flora_digitalis

Activity: 477
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:07:47 PM

I just noticed the new merit system...

I think it's a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure if it will really help to improve post quality. I can imagine a scenario, where only a minority of users ever receives merit and the majority doesn't care about their merit (at least those, who already achieved a certain rank).

It might also discourage newbie users to continue posting, because they are the least probable to receive merit due to their lack of knowledge.

Better and stricter moderation (consequent banning of spammers) would be preferable, but may not be suitable given the dimension of the forum unfortunately...

PRIVATE SALE: Austrian Cufflinks / Polish Commem. Coins / Rare German Coins / Stella & Dot Jewelry
Please read all my trust comments. Only negative trust is from highly problematic individual TMAN (retaliatory rating - never did a trade with him and never will).
liviux

Activity: 210
Merit: 112

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:08:10 PM

it will take a while until someone will get merit for a new rank.
So if i missed 10-20 activity for senior rank, and now i have to get 150 new merit... That will take me months, especially until members will understand and even notice the new +Merit button

So my suggestion is that this merit system should work in parallel with the old activity system and in a couple of months, until users grab some merit, then it should be forced to advance.
zorgo

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:08:42 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2018, 01:30:10 PM by zorgo
Merited by ImHash (1), anakrea (1), caporwink (1)

Sorry for my bad English, not native speaker.
The system itself is great, but I didn't got something about realisation:
each 30 days will be distributed up to 8125 merit (proof: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.msg28863043#msg28863043 ) including 0.5 decreasing progression it gives us 8125x2=16250 max merit, actually little less.
Every member needs something about 14 merit for period, something about 30 merit in month. It gives us 16250/30=542 members who can get amount of merit they need. That's really low number: there is more than 15K of Full Members for example. Even if only 10% of them are active, that's 1500+ accounts, 3 times more the system can support. And this is Full Members only.
I didn't take in attention current distribution of merit, because it takes place only once, and the system is supposed to last for a long time I think.
Hovhannes

Activity: 420
Merit: 14

MMOCoin-For-Gamers-&-Traders

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:09:53 PM

Only the higher ranked members have enough merit to make a difference unless a lot of acounts give one merit.
And it would be easy to spot. We have alot of passionate legendaries that check and give negative trust today to accounts that posts trash.
I would immagine they would spot this as well.
There are participants with high rank who are engaged in bad things, but it is very difficult to prove.

jakoylantern

Activity: 560
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:12:56 PM

This merit and new ranking requirements is a very significant idea but will make a lot of adjustment for many users to create a high-quality post and inquire essential or meaningful concepts. Good luck to everyone that will respectfully follow the new ranking system and to those users that will abuse the new merit system.  Wink
Congrats to all users that making a high-quality and meaningful post especially to the newbie and Jr. Member.  Smiley
RealSwissMiner

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 01:13:48 PM

I personally do like the concept and I also think I understand the goal behind it.

Also I agree with what was said before - I saw this happening in many campaigns users posting “Dear Sir” with many shit posts and they were admitted to the campaign whereas myself who tried to help new miners on many topics was left out. This behavior made me already question the entire purpose of the forum as it was already slighlty derailing.

It personally also affects me as it will take more time to reach Full Member ranking but happy to wait for this if I have to read less crap posts like “Dear Sir I love the application of blockchain in this project, great future ahead”

Mining and investment blog - https://swisscryptominer.blogspot.ch
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: