Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:54:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166597 times)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 01:25:24 PM

Today was supposed to be HIRO! But apparently not fate with this meirite!

This post exemplifies one reason why we need the merit system.

+0.  Write better posts if you want to rank up.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:34:25 PM

Quin, my service works so well, I even managed to get you 2 more merits.

Seriously though, given that there is dollar value in ranking up, this system WILL be gamed by people 'selling' their merits, shilling with fake accounts, gathering circular groups to self merit, etc.

I understand the reason behind it (Reddit Karma), but it will need heavy policing.

Last post, Got to go to work......

nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 01:40:04 PM

I think people following this thread might have also seen your post and decided it needed to be highlighted more.

Attention, everybody following this thread:

Prior to my giving merit for Laszlo’s famous pizza post, the oldest post to which I’d assigned merit was this 2014 explanation by gmaxwell on the problems with DHTs which once upon a time much educated me.

I had been intending at some point to comb through my bookmarks to many such excellent posts from the past—the quality of posts I wish I could now experience.  The archive of this forum contains a hidden library of invaluable information—a record of dialogues involving the brilliant minds who took Satoshi’s client and shaped it into the global financial networking bedrock which today holds value equivalent to hundreds of billions of dollars.  Reading those posts teaches both Bitcoin history and Bitcoin technology.  We can bring all that to the surface, and perhaps even slowly revive the forum to those glory days!

If we desire to highlight good posts from the past, could we please also start giving merit to the deep technical discussions by Core developers?

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 01:41:55 PM

Quin, my service works so well, I even managed to get you 2 more merits.

Seriously though, given that there is dollar value in ranking up, this system WILL be gamed by people 'selling' their merits, shilling with fake accounts, gathering circular groups to self merit, etc.

I understand the reason behind it (Reddit Karma), but it will need heavy policing.

Last post, Got to go to work......

People will try to game any system invented. This one will be quite hard to game after all the airdrop sMerit is used up. Anyway, it's a big improvement on the previous system of spamming your way to Legendary status.

I really don't care about ranking up or even the small bit of BTC I make from my signature. I got involved and bought my HODL stash in 2012 & 13. The only benefit to me of getting those 2 more merits is I now have another sMerit to give to a post I like.

Enjoy your day at work.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cryptocommoner

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 01:42:54 PM

Hmm..

Laszlo, with a dead account is now up to 38 merit.

I am now announcing my services as a BMG (Bicointalk Merit Generator), for a fee, I will will advise on how to increase your merit score.

lol Let me be your first advisee Smiley
coinsniperX

Activity: 404
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:37:23 PM

every day more and more people comes to blockchain ecosystem
This phrase-a-rooni is a hallmark of fine shitposting.  A staple, if you will.  I don't know what it is, but you can pick out the people who are on bitcointalk solely to choke the bitcoin chicken by looking for variations of the above words.  Damn straight it's a garbled mess by someone who knows just enough English to be fucking annoying.  Sorry, bud.

That whole post is a great example of how a gigantic brick wall of text is not equivalent to a well-thought out and written post.  Quantity isn't necessarily equal to quality, in other words, and it's a concept that seems to elude most of Asia and eastern Europe.
You are speaking nonsense mumbo jumbo.
Mmmm-hmmmm.
Thanks a lot for the explanation, man. Despiste
Explanatacations are of no cost here, keep them comming sir.
Yes, English is not my native language, but it doesn't give you any right to judge me or call my my posts shit.
And if you do this, then I can assume that you have a shit in your head, many shit, and you want to through out it to another people, but we don't need your shit. Just eat it by yourself.
nullius
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 02:58:18 PM

Yes, English is not my native language, but it doesn't give you any right to judge me or call my my posts shit.
And if you do this, then I can assume that you have a shit in your head, many shit, and you want to through out it to another people, but we don't need your shit. Just eat it by yourself.

Another exemplary object lesson on why we don’t need the merits system:  Posts like this are excellent!

No, wait—sorry, I got that backwards.  Posts like this are garbage.  This is exactly why we needs the merits system.

+0

djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:24:23 PM

Yeah, new system really screwed you man; i'd be pissed if i was that close.. you're taking better than i would be lol

:]
dreamer81

Activity: 616
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 03:35:13 PM

Really glad this was implemented. So much spam these days. Asian users are creating several 100 users each. Big farms just to level up users here. That will stop now.
THANK YOU whoever made this happen
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 04:03:52 PM

Do not beg for merit excessively.

Code:
s/excessively/at all—ever/

The merit system is a promising idea.  But it will only work if we develop a strong cultural expectation that merit will only be awarded for meritorious posts.  Requests for merit must be declared extreme rudeness, a forum faux pas.  Such a thing is fit only for social opprobrium, derision, sneers, and shunning.

In most cultures, fishing for compliments is viewed as something between boorish and unthinkable.  Asking for merit is worse, because it may accrue monetary value due to signature campaigns.  It is like begging a professor for a top grade, instead of doing work worthy of earning a top grade.

By contrast, those who have something worthwhile to say will take pride in earning merit the normal way:  By making posts which others find valuable.  Whereas those who have nothing worthwhile to say, as such have nothing to add to the forum.

For my part:  Nobody who ever asks me for merit will ever get any from me—period.

P.S., all the whiners complaining about the merit system ipso facto thus demonstrate that they are incapable of writing meritorious posts, and therefore worthless to the forum.  Make good posts, and people will notice.  Or shut up.

Edit:  Added the paragraph about people taking pride in earning merit the normal way.

+1 sM because I love your command of the English language. I even learnt something.

PS: Due to all the excitement, I'm not sure if that's the first time I doled sM due to actually liking the post's content where most, if not all, of previous sM allocations were gifted for humor et al. purposes.

Aside: There are no asides.

Edit: Reserved for edits.

Calvo turpuis est nihil comato: Practicing my Latin while eating my Reuben in case I ever meetup with CBH again.

Testing my Latin: Cogito, ergo sum dignum merito.

Well that worked out swell. I receive +1 sM from a user on record in stating that none would be doled out to beggars which is exactly what I did, albeit in Latin [and tongue in cheek] with "Cogito, ergo sum dignum merito." Next stop: Klingon.  Grin Grin Grin

Thanks kindly, nullius.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:24:34 PM

Code:

The merit system is a promising idea.  But it will only work if we develop a strong cultural expectation that merit will only be awarded for meritorious posts.  Requests for merit must be declared extreme rudeness, a forum faux pas.  Such a thing is fit only for social opprobrium, derision, sneers, and shunning.

In most cultures, fishing for compliments is viewed as something between boorish and unthinkable.  Asking for merit is worse, because it may accrue monetary value due to signature campaigns.  It is like begging a professor for a top grade, instead of doing work worthy of earning a top grade.

By contrast, those who have something worthwhile to say will take pride in earning merit the normal way:  By making posts which others find valuable.  Whereas those who have nothing worthwhile to say, as such have nothing to add to the forum.

For my part:  Nobody who ever asks me for merit will ever get any from me—period.

P.S., all the whiners complaining about the merit system ipso facto thus demonstrate that they are incapable of writing meritorious posts, and therefore worthless to the forum.  Make good posts, and people will notice.  Or shut up.

Edit:  Added the paragraph about people taking pride in earning merit the normal way.

+1 sM because I love your command of the English language. I even learnt something.

PS: Due to all the excitement, I'm not sure if that's the first time I doled sM due to actually liking the post's content where most, if not all, of previous sM allocations were gifted for humor et al. purposes.

Calvo turpuis est nihil comato: Practicing my Latin while eating my Reuben in case I ever meetup with CBH again.

Well that worked out swell. I receive +1 sM from a user on record in stating that none would be doled out to beggars which is exactly what I did, albeit in Latin [and tongue in cheek] with "Cogito, ergo sum dignum merito." Next stop: Klingon.  Grin Grin Grin

Thanks kindly, nullius.

CBH just gave you merit. Unfortunately, his merit is invisible so it won’t do a damn thing for you.

Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 04:38:18 PM

I was supposed to be LUGENDARY 6 months ago! But apparently not fate with this activite!

Another exemplary object lesson on why we don’t need the merits system: Posts like this are excellent!
No, wait—sorry, I got that backwards. Posts like this are garbage. This is exactly why we needs the merits system.
I like your humor. Not enough to give merit for that, but enough to point it out.
That made me chuckle, thanks for that.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
jimmywh

Activity: 140
Merit: 22

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:58:51 PM

I was supposed to be LUGENDARY 6 months ago! But apparently not fate with this activite!

Another exemplary object lesson on why we don’t need the merits system: Posts like this are excellent!
No, wait—sorry, I got that backwards. Posts like this are garbage. This is exactly why we needs the merits system.
I like your humor. Not enough to give merit for that, but enough to point it out.
That made me chuckle, thanks for that.

You are like a friend of mine. His hands are always glued to his pockets when we go out for a beer.  Cheesy
Alexander_Z

Activity: 114
Merit: 26

Z

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:05:48 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2018, 07:55:55 PM by Alexander_Z

All right, looks like it is a good time for a small experiment. Recently I have found that I can still access my old account, created some time ago and never used. I have a habit to read, not post. But now it may be amusing to watch the merit progress of this "new" account, so I have decided to revive it.
YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 05:24:31 PM

Code:

Thanks kindly, nullius.

CBH just gave you merit. Unfortunately, his merit is invisible so it won’t do a damn thing for you.

Leave it to CBH to introduce the cloaked sM, cleverly dubbed csM (unless you prefer isM; i = invisible ... wait, ISM isn't that bad). Now that we all of 21M csM-cum-isM-cum-ISM, please use them wisely including when gifting them to your other accounts which is allowed.

DanielRR1997

Activity: 196
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:39:36 PM

I did not think it fair to change who changed the ranking just in the week of implementation of this new system. The merit should be proportional to the number of user activity, for example I have activity to be a full member (126) but I was awarded 10 merits , and a user with 60 activity earned the same number of merits (10) as me. This is not fair, it needs to be reviewed
romanovst

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 05:45:42 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 05:56:44 PM by romanovst
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

With so many spelling mistakes, I think you will be stuck at current level forever.

Really glad this was implemented. So much spam these days. Asian users are creating several 100 users each. Big farms just to level up users here. That will stop now.
THANK YOU whoever made this happen

There is no need to point fingers towards a particular community without sufficient proofs. There are good and bad people everywhere. For instance, some of the users in a particular local board (not Asian) were found to be exchanging merits recently.

I did not think it fair to change who changed the ranking just in the week of implementation of this new system. The merit should be proportional to the number of user activity, for example I have activity to be a full member (126) but I was awarded 10 merits , and a user with 60 activity earned the same number of merits (10) as me. This is not fair, it needs to be reviewed

A lot of members demanded this but we have not seen any change. So it will be like this only and we have to move on.
GreatFelix

Activity: 168
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:44:29 PM

And I was wondering why I was not leveling up. Hopefully this feature will up the quality of posts. It is sad to see so many Bounty/Shit-Poster at the board... Mostly automated.  Roll Eyes

Igor17Krik

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:24:10 PM

I like the idea with merit. It would not be bad to clean the thread with the shit of ICO companies.

▀     ▀       Platform for Cross Chain Fundraising      [   P r ⦿ s t a r t e r .   ]           Invest today. Live tomorrow.       ▀     ▀
▀     ▀            Whitepaper  |  Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Telegram Group  |  Telegram Ann  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |            ▀     ▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬   Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE   ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
cryptocommoner

Activity: 112
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:26:27 PM

I like the idea with merit. It would not be bad to clean the thread with the shit of ICO companies.

Are you saying that ICOs should not be on these forums anymore?  You are barticipating in an ICO bounty right now  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: