Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:47:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the selling merit be a new problem?  (Read 518 times)
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 05:51:46 AM

If people want to trade merit, they will never trade it in a spam. So although people has vigilance, they can not clearly identify who is trading the merits. That is the problem
So the merit system incentives people to write high quality posts which in turn they are being rewarded for with merit?
That is what I get from your post. If so, you do expect the merit system to work as intended, right?

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThemonkiiX (OP)

Activity: 233
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:13:44 AM

If people want to trade merit, they will never trade it in a spam. So although people has vigilance, they can not clearly identify who is trading the merits. That is the problem
So the merit system incentives people to write high quality posts which in turn they are being rewarded for with merit?
That is what I get from your post. If so, you do expect the merit system to work as intended, right?

sorry for misleading.

A post that is not spam doesn't equal a high quality post.

I could write some long but meaningless posts and buy merit in this post. Or even I could copy some news and let people give me merit. How could you identify if my post  worth the merit?

some spam is easy to identify, however, it is also a easy thing to write a post that seems not a spam but actually a spam.

That is why I think the trading will be a easy thing to do but difficult to catch.

Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 06:16:51 AM

A post that is not spam doesn't equal a high quality post.
I could write some long but meaningless posts
Long and meaningless posts are spam. I dont know if your definition of spam requires shortage, but mine doesnt.
Long posts can be spam as well as short posts, content matters, not length.

Or even I could copy some news and let people give me merit. How could you identify if my post  worth the merit?
I find your source with google, report the copy&paste, you are permanently banned.
It happens now already, copy&pasters are now banned forever, they will continue to be permanently banned in the future.
With the new system, with the merit, those bans will hurt more as the ranks are harder to obtain.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
0verseer

Activity: 480
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:46:55 AM

The problem with anything like this is that you end up with the "old boys club" type of thing. All the friends giving each other merit etc and the outsiders getting next to none. And of course there's the "I agree with you and so will give you merit" that will happen the majority of the time. It's a nice idea but it requires humans acting responsibly... which they don't...
Agree. It will be a trouble for newbie or 'new kids on the block' to find a club so they could receive merit point as kinda hard to earn trust from someone willing to send you some merit. I hope we could see the list of users 'mining' merit to make sure it not going to be some 'power tool' to control and bent other to their will.

I really don't want to see bitcointalk become an echo chamber where if you disagree on some topic with 'the top', you will be marked for life and have no chance to rank up.
Habakkuk77

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 07:00:43 AM

It can be a problem if it will not be addressed quickly, merit is confusing but it we will understand how it goes in the future.

[
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:09:49 PM

I agree that the new requirement for level up will do something to avoid the spam. However, I wonder if its advantage is greater than its negative impacts.

As everyone knows that the activity has a limitation of 14 for two weeks. Therefore most of the spam were sent not for level, but for other objectives such as airdrop.

AS of this, I think the major role of new requirement is to limit the level up of new members. may be those who have many accounts could be limited since they may hardly to level up all their accounts to member.

However, a new market of selling/buying merit will soon appear. I believe this new requirement will finally become a new way to earn money but contribute little to the improvement of community.

welcome for your idea and discussion.

I am yet to fully grasp the new merit system but it does not mean that it can be improved upon. I know as we move on in this new era, new challenges will emerge and improvement will be done but one thing is it is not expected to be perfect at the beginning like this. My suggestions is that

1. The same way there is a number of activity that you have to reach to move from one level to another, so also should there be for merit in other to move so if you have say 30 activities but not 30 merit, you are not moving to Junior member of the forum.

2. In other to then accommodate everyone, there should be a centralised thread (not the one everyone is just open threads anyhow) where you post the link of your posts, people see it, then they can review and because one individual cannot give you the entire 30 merits, you then must prove to a lot of people to get to that point.
Miderian

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:18:27 PM

Merit points are deployed, because of quality control. If you start to sell or buy your merit points it would be indirectly against the rules.
They want to raise quality on BTC forum.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
denniszhou

Activity: 82

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:41:20 PM

I could understand Merit is a good way to beat the spammers, but i'm sure Merit exchange has already happened.
I've heard from a friend that he just joined a group, and people there are selling Merit at the price about $2-$3, which is a bad news.
Jaemouns

Activity: 274

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:59:04 PM

I agree that the new requirement for level up will do something to avoid the spam. However, I wonder if its advantage is greater than its negative impacts.

As everyone knows that the activity has a limitation of 14 for two weeks. Therefore most of the spam were sent not for level, but for other objectives such as airdrop.

AS of this, I think the major role of new requirement is to limit the level up of new members. may be those who have many accounts could be limited since they may hardly to level up all their accounts to member.

However, a new market of selling/buying merit will soon appear. I believe this new requirement will finally become a new way to earn money but contribute little to the improvement of community.

welcome for your idea and discussion.
I know this agreement was to keep joining signature compaign alive and have a descipline for every post we made.It's a kind of rule that we should take an effort and always be guided with our post so that they can give as merit.For me this is not so easy but it can give as more knowledge and morality that we give important and avoid spammer to this forum.
petuhov

Activity: 122

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:08:16 PM

I could understand Merit is a good way to beat the spammers, but i'm sure Merit exchange has already happened.
I've heard from a friend that he just joined a group, and people there are selling Merit at the price about $2-$3, which is a bad news.

You should report that friend and the link to the group to the moderators so that they can take necessary actions.
Rrtt

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:18:57 PM

The seller can easily tell the buyer "to make a good quality post and then I will merit you"
Or the seller may also include that to his service like "I will also provide you with a somewhat believable quality post so you just need to copy it from me and you post it and then I will merit you"
So yeah it might be a new problem. I think there's always a way to exploit anything.

Your giving a hint bro, better if it is a merit you give.  Wink
solovev

Activity: 52
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 04:16:53 PM

Merit points are deployed, because of quality control. If you start to sell or buy your merit points it would be indirectly against the rules.
They want to raise quality on BTC forum.

Problem is detecting the buying and selling of merit points.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 05:22:14 PM

I'm starting to see that the primary importance of merit points is to allow members to take part in air drops. So why not forget the merit points, and ban the air drops. It seems that will improve post quality. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
ruletheworld
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1045

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 06:08:45 PM

I'm starting to see that the primary importance of merit points is to allow members to take part in air drops. So why not forget the merit points, and ban the air drops. It seems that will improve post quality. Smiley

But that's throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This forum was literally the first crypto forum, and invariably still has the highest concentration of serious crypto people who have been in the trenches for several years, not just during the recent ICO craze. If I am a new project, I would value the support of this community greatly. If I am an old forum member, I wouldn't mind getting some airdrops to incentivize me to take your project more seriously. It is a win-win really.

Yes, spam is a problem especially with people trying to 'rank up' with low quality posts. But the solution to this spam isn't to ban airdrops in my opinion.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: