Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:50:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad time to get into GPU mining - yes or no? Share your thoughts!  (Read 320 times)
GizmoOG (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:12:27 AM

Hey,
So I've just bought 6x rx 570's and 3x 1070's, which I'm planning to run with a 1200W server psu and b250 mining expert mobo. I am currently waiting for my b250 which arrives in stock 1st of february. Here comes the big question though: Is this really a good time to get into mining? With the rapidly increasing difficulty and asic mining taking over some coins, will this be the end of GPU mining you think? I am just hoping to make ROI, but just since I placed the buy order on the parts till today the profits on very many coins that I was planning to mine has gone down 3x.. How do you see GPU mining in a year or so? Now the new nvidia 2x series are coming too so that should also be taken into consideration.
Let's see your opinions!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:18:22 AM

Hey,
So I've just bought 6x rx 570's and 3x 1070's, which I'm planning to run with a 1200W server psu and b250 mining expert mobo. I am currently waiting for my b250 which arrives in stock 1st of february. Here comes the big question though: Is this really a good time to get into mining? With the rapidly increasing difficulty and asic mining taking over some coins, will this be the end of GPU mining you think? I am just hoping to make ROI, but just since I placed the buy order on the parts till today the profits on very many coins that I was planning to mine has gone down 3x.. How do you see GPU mining in a year or so? Now the new nvidia 2x series are coming too so that should also be taken into consideration.
Let's see your opinions!

Nobody knows... since we can't predict future ETH or BTC or ZEC prices.

Could be a good time because prices might stay flat or go higher...

Could be a bad time because ETH might start crashing and in 2 months go POS.

Its a gamble... but a small one

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cryptogbumper

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:26:52 AM

there are still many new altcoins in the ANN sub forum everyday and waiting to be mined...

it's better to have a GPU mining rig for those new coins, mine and hold !

most of them will die in the near future, but some of those new altcoins will keep growing!
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:56:57 AM

The first time I mine, I have the same question. is this a good time for mining? One year ago the price of VGA RX 480 was about $ 300. It used to be very expensive for me. but I keep buying it and sure it is, the right time for mining. And the fact that happens, the higher Bitcoin price makes the ROI very fast.

rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 10:43:25 AM

This is the moment to buy cheap coins and make profit when prices rises

This is a bad moment to start mining
to many people doing

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 10:53:17 AM

... Here comes the big question though: Is this really a good time to get into mining? With the rapidly increasing difficulty and asic mining taking over some coins, will this be the end of GPU mining you think? I am just hoping to make ROI,

The first time I mine, I have the same question. is this a good time for mining?

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NEWBIES KEEP ASKING THE SAME QUESTION " ITS TO LATE TO START MINING , IT IS STILL PROFITABLE ? WHY MY EARNING IS LESS THAN ALL THOSE ONLINE CALCULATORS TELLING ME"

No one can tell you !
Always going to be a 2 group of ppl who telling you it's ok go for it , or dont bc you just wasting ur money !
You have to make a decision for yourself !
Do your own research !
No one can tell you for sure what's going to happen with cryptocurrency !
No one can tell you it's going to be profitable for you or not !
No one can tell you how much profit you going to be able to make ! ( if you can make any at all )
No one can tell you the ROI ( return of investment) time !
None of those calculators you are seeing on the web can tell you what's coming tomorrow , months later or 6 months later !
Those calculators telling you about today , at that moment when you typing in your information !
None of those online calculators calculating pool luck !
None of those online calculators able to predict difficulty growth !
None of those online calculators can predict what would be the coin/$ exchanges rates tomorrow , months later or 6 months later a year later !
It's little bit of gambling , you must to decide you want to play on the lottery or not  Grin

Original Topic I quoted from is HERE

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
Miningtry

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 12:59:32 PM

Anyone know when will new gen gpu come to market?
Hynix and samsung already started to produce gddr6 memory.
x_acidburn_x

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:38:59 PM

At this exact moment, I'd say it's a bad time to get into it. The difficulty really doesn't matter because there are always new alt coins to mine but the hardware is a different story. I've been piecing together a new rig and the prices of GPU's I've been looking at have jump $30-40 IN A WEEK, and that's if you can even find them in stock. On top of that newegg is limiting the number of GPU's you can order to one (at least on the gigabyte 10 series I just ordered). Everything may change tomorrow but for today you better expect some headaches when buying the hardware.
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:43:15 PM

No matter when you ask people will always say it's a bad time to get into GPU mining. The truth is, it's never a bad time to get into it.

People have been saying this since ASICs first came out years ago.

You will get the same answer if you ask if now is a good time to invest in BTC.  Wink
Riptide_NVN

Activity: 294
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:46:12 PM

Difficulty matters if you want to mine and hold.  If you want to pump and dump a scam coin then it doesn't matter.

Cost of entry is super high right now because of the hype and all the incoming hash.  If you can even find something in stock it's gone fast and some of the retailers are trying to make it harder for you to pick up 10 cards at a time like a new miner would maybe want to do.

If I wanted to do anything other than put together a small rig I might think about waiting for things to settle down.  Especially with Volta coming out in 2-3 months.  AMD won't have anything else for a while.  I read 2019.
BennyT

Activity: 259
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:53:48 PM

It's not a bad time, it's an expensive time relative to a few months ago, relative to last year, or two years ago. But this always changes. If you're into crypto, if you think it's going to last a while, if you think this is a way of the future then there is no bad time.

Ever since the day I started mining people have been saying it's going to die or all the profits are already behind us, and every single time they have been wrong. The market cap is still too small for it to be bad time. We've had massive growth in 2017 and I think the crypto market cap is still going to rise at least 5 times what it is now. For that to happen there will be big spikes and big dips.
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:59:26 PM

Hey,
Let's see your opinions!

That's also my concern. I already have 4pcs of rx570 and thinking to add some more, but with the news that I have read which ETH will go
into PoS, I'm now thinking twice about my plan. I don't know if this might affect the mining profitability, or maybe I can mine other coins that has also
some potential in the near future. Thanks for opening this thread, it might give some ideas for those who also plan to build their mining
rig and for those expert who has a good knowledge about this business.
lusa

Activity: 109
Merit: 5

hodl

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:59:53 PM

I feel at the beginning POW was a good idea but with difficulty has risen so much and the power to mine coins increased a lot. While we are trying to adept electrical cars and trying to help the world( I am not talking about everyone, some people really don't care), on the other hand we consume so much electricity for mining. Bitcoin mining is using more power than 159 countries. It is crazy. I feel like mining will never die but in the long term, many coins will switch to more environmental friendly algos. In short term still, It is not a good idea to invest mining now. Buying a coin and waiting for increase is a better idea.
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:02:54 PM

Mining is a tiny fraction of total world energy use.
sserge009

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:04:15 PM

In my opinion, all those who now give clear answers to such questions, or do not fully understand what they are talking about or give out wishful thinking. The whole question comes down to your goals. If your goal is to quickly earn some money, then mining is not the best way. If your goal is to integrate into this field of activity and be able to monitor how it develops, then it is worth it.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
mediaboy

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:07:07 PM

At this exact moment, I'd say it's a bad time to get into it. The difficulty really doesn't matter because there are always new alt coins to mine but the hardware is a different story. I've been piecing together a new rig and the prices of GPU's I've been looking at have jump $30-40 IN A WEEK, and that's if you can even find them in stock. On top of that newegg is limiting the number of GPU's you can order to one (at least on the gigabyte 10 series I just ordered). Everything may change tomorrow but for today you better expect some headaches when buying the hardware.

People - the OP states he already has the GPUs, so most of the concerns you mention don't apply to him. His question is in regards to expectations on ROI for a new miner.

IMHO - if you have already secured the hardware and you paid near MSRP for it, you should mine. Your expectations to just recover costs is very reasonable. Anything beyond that is just a nice bonus until you decide to discard the gear.

You can hedge buy selling half of your coins in 2 to 3 months if prices are still flat - or just sell enough coins to recover the hardware costs.
All  cons people write only suggest they never bother to read your post. You have the cards already - either sell them quickly or mine.
Either way you are in good shape as far as recovering your costs. Mining has the potential to give you much greater returns in the longer term.

As far as running a mixture of AMD and Nvidia cards on the same rig, your mileage will vary on that. My setup doesnt support that but i am sure others have that working. Keeping it all in one rig and running it stable is crucial to that ROI.
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 02:07:21 PM

Hey,
Let's see your opinions!

That's also my concern. I already have 4pcs of rx570 and thinking to add some more, but with the news that I have read which ETH will go
into PoS, I'm now thinking twice about my plan. I don't know if this might affect the mining profitability, or maybe I can mine other coins that has also
some potential in the near future. Thanks for opening this thread, it might give some ideas for those who also plan to build their mining
rig and for those expert who has a good knowledge about this business.

The REAL thing that CAN kill mining is when ETH becomes POS

Imagine ALL hashrate coming to other algos

We have two situations: Miners and public in general will avoid ETH and will affect prices, probably choosing another coin to the place of ETH, but need to be a GREAT coin, like ETH

Or profitability will decrease a lot because all algos will suffer the HUGE increase of difficulty

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:10:48 PM

If profitability tanks because of that it tanks for everyone.

You might see some of that hash go away because people shut down and get out of the business entirely.
Digital Drug Lord

Merit: 12

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:12:59 PM

I feel at the beginning POW was a good idea but with difficulty has risen so much and the power to mine coins increased a lot. While we are trying to adept electrical cars and trying to help the world( I am not talking about everyone, some people really don't care), on the other hand we consume so much electricity for mining. Bitcoin mining is using more power than 159 countries. It is crazy. I feel like mining will never die but in the long term, many coins will switch to more environmental friendly algos. In short term still, It is not a good idea to invest mining now. Buying a coin and waiting for increase is a better idea.

gave up on looking for a card. im just going to wait and hopefully can order from nvida

im not paying $1400 for a $600 video card.

1 1080ti makes you 5 dollars a day, and you would need to mine 24 hours a day 7 days a week for like 10 months to get your money back.  you cant mine shit with 1 card you need 2. now what your pushing $2400 to make $10 dollars a day?

then, you have to worry about the exchange robbing you like

hitbtc robs people
like coinshouse.eu robs peoples
like coinsmarket.com robbed people with exit scam
like yobit robbing people.

ect,ect

a miner is at the mercy of the exchange the coin is on, good luck dealing with hitbtc or any of the other scams
Riptide_NVN

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 02:18:33 PM

And...  Titans are now out of stock too.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: