Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:11:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start bitcoin development  (Read 330 times)
carlsonwong (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:02:34 AM

Hi all,

I am very new to bitcoin. Where can we change the hashing algorithm, for example from SHA256 to X13?

Thanks,
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:10:41 AM

short answer: in the code  Grin
long answer: it is difficult to see, what you have done so far, cause this impacts the activity.
Probably you'd like to explain a bit, what system you have, which code base you use, what language, and so on. This type of information makes it more understandable, to give advice.
Hint: if you just cloned a github repository, and ask the community to help getting forward, you might not receive valuable info.
But I see that you have already some undertsanding by asking for the replacement of a hashing function - so you must already have some good experience.
makototachibana

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:21:30 AM

Bitcoin is free software and any developer can contribute to the project.
The first: Code Review

Bitcoin Core is security software that helps protect assets worth billions of dollars, so every code change needs to be reviewed by experienced developers

The second: Starter Projects
Fix existing issues:  Before starting to write any patches for issues you find, you may want to comment on the issue to make sure nobody else is already working on it.
Write tests
Documentation: you should start by exploring the developer documentation.
And finally, Developer communities : you can read their rules of conduct which host discussions about Bitcoin development as
IRC Channel #bitcoin-core-dev on freenode.
Bitcoin Core Slack Channel
Bitcoin StackExchange
BitcoinTalk Development & Technical Discussion Forum
 Good luck for you

Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 10:43:45 AM

The first: Code Review

Bitcoin Core is security software that helps protect assets worth billions of dollars, so every code change needs to be reviewed by experienced developers

I am not so sure that it this easy and Mr J Poon who's running the lightning network project won't answer his emails
and I once tried this "Open Source" approach with firefox and code related to google but they would not take the offending
code out.

My code for Bitcoin Core is only one line long so do you think they will put it in to the project for me

public static money MaxFee=1.5 // Miners that do not like it are free to leave because we have ten timed more than we need

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Neilfajardo09

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

For a newbie can somebody help me to have some bitcoin and give me more tips how run this and invest big that i have ever imagine
alexeyneu

Activity: 312
Merit: 30

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 05:40:22 PM

you'll need genesis block ,at least its hash.And it's not that simple for 2014+ fork.
christabits

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:11:55 PM

Bitcoin Core is security software that helps protect assets worth billions of dollars, so every code change needs to be reviewed by experienced developers.It can take a long time for other developers to review your pull requests. Remember that all reviewers are taking time away from their own projects to review your pull requests, so be patient and respectful of their time to consider helping to review other people’s pull requests. You don’t need to be an expert in Bitcoin, the Bitcoin Core codebase, or C++ (although all these things help). There are almost always open pull requests that any programmer can review.
sjyi

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 01:44:27 AM

...I once tried this "Open Source" approach with firefox and code related to google but they would not take the offending
code out.

My code for Bitcoin Core is only one line long so do you think they will put it in to the project for me

public static money MaxFee=1.5 // Miners that do not like it are free to leave because we have ten timed more than we need

Well, just because a project is "Open Source" does not mean that it is obligated to accept any input.  The input should follow the original goal of the community.

Also, with an open source project, one should be able to fork a new project if the input is rejected.
Kryptcoin
Copper Member

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:44:29 AM

For a newbie can somebody help me to have some bitcoin and give me more tips how run this and invest big that i have ever imagine
If you need the bitcoin, Work for it. Join faucets, buy with fiat, work and accept bitcoin as payment etc
Kryptcoin
Copper Member

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:46:06 AM

Hi all,

I am very new to bitcoin. Where can we change the hashing algorithm, for example from SHA256 to X13?

Thanks,
It will be better to take your time and study more than jump from the bottom to the top.
Educate  yourself more and become a better version of you.
promode

Activity: 33

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 02:57:23 PM

Hi all,

Thanks,

Compile the Code and Try it.
Finish the Mastering Bitcoin
nalinpuri

Activity: 130
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 09:19:07 PM

You should Join ICOs. They are very profitable to invest in and can also join Faucets to start earning bitcoins.
ViperGuyMike

Activity: 126
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 03:24:52 AM

I hope I'm not hijacking but more or less expanding on the OP's question. If you clone the Bitcoin core repo, and make changes (such as to run a daemon for a mining pool), how can you test it? Making changes to the files such as improving error messages for debugging don't seem to do anything when I start my pool? I still get the original unaltered error messages? I read the developers guide thinking maybe the code is executed on the remote peer side or maybe compiled from the repo each time you run bitcoind, but I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in any of my reading?
Anti-Cen

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:54:20 AM

Well, just because a project is "Open Source" does not mean that it is obligated to accept any input.  The input should follow the original goal of the community.

Yes the goal of the miners and banking community must always come first and the goals of the original team and white paper
have all been forgotten.

Can the none mining "community" please take a vote on this one line of code ?
public static money MaxFee=1.5 // Miners that do not like it are free to leave because we have ten times more than we need

Here take a look at this map of channels on the Lightning Network (LN)
https://lnmainnet.gaben.win/
Hubs in LN charge fees and interest on money loaned out in bi-directional channel so that big banking hub
in the center in the diagram is not Bob mother and is a bank making profit and bankers are the only ones with any voting
rights in this "community"

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Anti-Cen

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 01:02:44 AM

You should Join ICOs. They are very profitable to invest in and can also join Faucets to start earning bitcoins.

So what's your ICO selling ? Let me guess a new coin for save the Indian Tiger and your spamming here so you
can get enough points to get one of them free adverts in the footer of you posts.

ViperGuyMike

Merit: 2

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:28:48 PM

For anyone looking in the future, thanks to the help from forum member cr1776. If you modify the bitcoind src files, you need to run the make command in the src folder for your changes to be built into bitcoind.
jinksters09

Merit: 16

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:47:42 PM

Development is based around Bitcoin Improvement Proposals or BIPs, which are similar to Request for comment. Bitcoin core is a security technology like software who agaging of protecting all asset worth billions or thrillions. Codes are need to be reviewed by develoers to maintain the stability of organization. It needs to be reviewed for a long time and if they saw any error they need to fixed immediately.

exul

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:52:19 PM

Development is almost based on Bitcoin Improvement Projects or BIPs, which are similar to the request for comments. Bitcoin Corps is a security technology that protects resources like software to protect valuable resources or assets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: