Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:23:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will people pay taxes for bitcoin ?  (Read 976 times)
MadScienceSocks (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:55:59 PM

Cryptocurrency and taxes. It is controversial topic. Noone want to pay taxet especially for bitcoin. Now this is a very profitable business and soon the government can introduce taxes on cryptocurrency nevertheless. But we can`t "touch" or "hold" it so in what way cryptocurrency might be taxed?

In my opinion, cryptocurrency may be taxed in the same way as a program or any sale or purchase transaction. Regardless of what you are selling, if you are profiting, you are required to pay tax.

What do you think?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:38:12 PM

You can find your answers in some of many threads about declaring crypto income. It's enough to use the search function or even scan this very section. For instance:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2097223.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631867.0

Don't recreate threads that are already alive and doing well.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
CryptoMauren

Activity: 283
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:58:21 AM

The IRS has obliged bitcoin transactions of all kinds, no matter. Accordingly, any US payers are required to keep records of all purchases, sales, investments, or use of bitcoin for goods or services (which the IRS considers to be barter). Because bitcoin is treated as an asset, if you use bitcoin for simple transactions such as buying groceries at a supermarket, you will be subject to a capital gains tax (either long-term or short-term depending on how long you hold bitcoin
MisterPrada

Activity: 179
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 05:33:39 PM

It's actually funny. If you cash out a lot of crypto, you'll be taxed heavily and could foreseeably have to cash out additional crypto to pay the tax bill, for which you'd be taxed again, and so on, all the way to oblivion.
The BlockRx Project

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 08:00:17 PM

Thus, individuals pay taxes at a rate lower than the ordinary income tax rate if they have held the bitcoins for more than a year. However, this also limits the tax deductions on long-term capital losses one can claim.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2842
Merit: 768

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 08:05:23 PM
Merited by Oceat (2)

Cryptocurrency and taxes. It is controversial topic. Noone want to pay taxet especially for bitcoin. Now this is a very profitable business and soon the government can introduce taxes on cryptocurrency nevertheless. But we can`t "touch" or "hold" it so in what way cryptocurrency might be taxed?

In my opinion, cryptocurrency may be taxed in the same way as a program or any sale or purchase transaction. Regardless of what you are selling, if you are profiting, you are required to pay tax.

What do you think?
Government might not able to impose taxes directly on transactions being made on crypto or into bitcoin but come to think off that we do make conversions from btc to local fiat which that would be the time government will really impose taxes from us. Why do people afraid of tax? As a citizen its an obligation and others do really strive to evade taxes as they can without even thinking on whats the actual purpose of it.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:16:19 PM
Merited by Oceat (1)

What do you think?
Government might not able to impose taxes directly on transactions being made on crypto or into bitcoin but come to think off that we do make conversions from btc to local fiat which that would be the time government will really impose taxes from us. Why do people afraid of tax? As a citizen its an obligation and others do really strive to evade taxes as they can without even thinking on whats the actual purpose of it.
People don't want to pay taxes because they do not trust the government. We cannot influence the distribution of our taxes. It's one of the reasons. Another reason is human greed. No one wants to part with their money. Even here on the forum we constantly see examples of how people from greed try to destroy each other. In this world everybody needs money. Moral principles do not matter.
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 01:51:53 PM

What do you think?
People don't want to pay taxes because they do not trust the government. We cannot influence the distribution of our taxes. It's one of the reasons. Another reason is human greed. No one wants to part with their money. Even here on the forum we constantly see examples of how people from greed try to destroy each other. In this world everybody needs money. Moral principles do not matter.
I guess it's a battle of power if who is on the top shall prevail but there are some people who used to think and used their own principles in which they put their honor as a law abiding citizen. If there is no corrupt government, people will pay their own taxes no matter what it is but due to the corrupt officials in each and every district in the office you will find there's a lot of them. In which they will use your vulnerability to extort you in exchange for money. If these kind of people are remove in their positions, i'm sure those tax evaders will become lesser than the usual.

avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1498

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 05:05:08 PM

What do you think?

I strongly support the tax introduction in crypto currency. Currently crypto currency is neither legal nor illegal in majority of the countries. Many countries are debating on the probable impact of bitcoin on their economy and haven't yet come up with a concrete decision. So we are pretty much hanging in between. Either our government will make it illegal or they will start taxing it and declare it legal. So I am hoping that majority of the governments will introduce a tax framework for crypto currency and declare it legal, both the users and governments will be happy and it will be mutually beneficial as well.

So you are referring to capital gain  tax which usually implies on property transactions. That it possible, but it is really hard to keep track of it. None of the governments have the infrastructure to monitor all crypto currency transactions and they will have to reply on the citizen's input to calculate tax. Instead it will be easier for them to track any fiat transaction a person is undertaking. So this transactions can be taken in to consideration while calculating the tax implication.

Like if I have exchanged my bitcoin for 4 times in a year amounting to 80k in my local currency, I can simply add this amount to my total income and calculate the total tax implications. This will make the entire system easier for citizens as well as for governments. No one gets hurt!

Aikidoka

Activity: 1078
Merit: 342

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:29:49 PM

No one wants to pay taxes even if they are using bitcoin. You want them to pay taxes in real life and pay taxes of bitcoin? I do not think that will happen. People are very smart and are aware of the government's manipulation. So I am sure they will stop what they are planning to do,

Moreover, If the governments are going to impose taxes, I hope they are not that expensive because they surely want to get benefits of people's hard work.
St4yInTh3D4rk

Activity: 686
Merit: 264

"STAY IN THE DARK"

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:39:12 AM

I am still confused how the taxes can be made for bitcoin transaction,because it is fully anonymous no one can identify how much bitcoins we have,then how it is possible to make taxation system for an anonymous currency.
The taxes can be made only while converting fiat to crypto and crypto to fiat and it will be must to pay those taxes as per your country rules.Many countries don't have the taxes for bitcoin so people from those countries are not paying any taxes for bitcoin yet.

bustadice         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
[bustadice.
Play
bustadice]

Hero/Legendary
..bustadice..              ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
Prem.Soorajpaul

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

0xB911101025014BfCaA3B17BC7683C0817489bB28

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:46:59 AM

Some countries are taking long term capital gain tax on crypto currency. If we want to live a reputed life in country, we should pay tax as per law and enjoy your life without tension. Otherwise, you will be in fear that govt. can come to your our door any time to ask, you didn't pay tax so now pay tax with a heavy penalty.

cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 05:19:18 AM

Haha yeah... At some point when you start cashing out the government is going to notice and want their piece of the pie. You're free to try and avoid paying taxes but I doubt it's going to go on for very long until you're caught. I'd suggest paying them now rather than paying fines + back taxes later.
chenging14

Activity: 40

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:45:40 AM

If bitcoins are held for a period of less than a year before selling or exchanging, a short-term capital gains tax is applied, which is equal to the ordinary income tax rate for the individual.
Taxation on bitcoins and its reporting is not as simple as it seems. For starters, it is difficult to determine the fair value of the bitcoin on purchase and sale transactions. Bitcoins are very volatile and there are huge swings in prices in a single trading day.

Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:32:54 PM

It is impossible not to pay taxes. As soon as you change bitcoin to Fiat you get paid. Only the use of bitcoin as a currency can save us from the obligation to pay taxes. But you need to create the conditions. Price of transaction is very high. This makes bitcoin unattractive for trading. Maybe it's part of a strategy to avoid a complete ban of cryptocurrencies States.
sukamasoto
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:18:04 PM

If government already legalized bitcoin than you require to pay the tax. It's become your obligation to obey just like you did with your current salary.
In other side, bitcoin will be no longer consider as decentralized currency anymore

Why ?
Because they have a right to control your bitcoin supply .

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 10:00:44 PM

Yes, I just did most of my taxes today. It looked complex as I hold BTC, plus many alts and I gained a lot of income from POS coins. The key to keeping the taxes less complicated is to keep good records, especially of POS rewards. As I did this I was able to upload my trades and POS rewards to bitcoin.tax and it made everything a lot less complex. In many cases I could easily have hidden POS rewards from the tax man, but some day I am going to cash out some reward to fiat. If I tell one lie I would have to remember it for the rest of my life. Anyway, if the Gov sees decent revenue from crypto taxes I think it would be more supportive of it, so I feel good getting it done.
Sir Cross

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 11:46:12 PM

If it's for the continued use of bitcoin, I would willingly pay taxes for it. I would prefer to have to pay taxes than have a total ban of crypto in my country. In fact, I think that taxes are already imposed in other countries and that other crypto-users have been regularly paying taxes as of now.

thegreenpay

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2018, 05:15:39 AM

In India might be Indian gov could be make a new tax law for Cryptocurrencies trading portals.....
Chainblack

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 05:57:54 AM

bitcoins tax will be applicable depending on how you treat income from bitcoins, based on the frequency of transaction.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: