Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:32:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with a Zipit Z2 (crappy old wireless instant messenger)  (Read 3622 times)
oddree (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 06:27:39 PM

File this under "why the f*ck did you waste your time on this?".

A few years ago I got caught up in fooling around with alittle instant messaging device called the Zipit Z2 from a company called Zipit Wireless.  These devices were supposed to free up your family computer from a messaging junky, and prevent the need for a child to have a cell phone.  With it, you can instant message, listen to music ... and that was about it.  The device ran Linux natively, and the developers were quite open to 'hacking'.

While most folks went the direction of running a full Debian OS on the device, I went the route of trying to build things that would run on the native kernel (2.6).  So you could pop in your 'experimental SD card' and run stuff from a terminal that was using the native 2.6 kernel.  But then you could also pop out your SD card and reboot and your Zipit would run the commercial software that it shipped with.  Whereas if you installed your own OS, you were replacing the commercial software.

Fast forward five years or so and the commercial software is now worthless, because Zipit dropped the while instant messaging for kids business.  Anyway - I have been wanting to do something interesting lately to combine my love for Bitcoin mining with my love for stupid and outdated technology, and then I remembered I have a Zipit lying in a drawer at home.

Many wasted hours later, I am successfully mining on my Zipit Z2.

When I say 'successfully', I mean that I am CPU mining with a 312Mhz ARM processor at about 52Kh/s.  I am attempting to mine Zetacoins through a pool, which is a little bit impossible.  This thing is too damned slow to really participate, but it does *try* (adorable!!).

I was thinking that while this is obviously not at all useful, it could be if you were attaching something to it.  Such as, an array of ASIC Block Erupters.  The trick there is that the Zipit Z2 does not have any USB ports.  Not to say that you can't add USB, but it's a pain in the ass.  You have to do a bit of kernel hacking, buy a strange little port that fits the back, and solder together your own cable.  This may be a bit more work than it's worth considering the cost of a small PC or a Raspberry Pi that is much faster and has USB ports.  Still, you can now buy these devices on eBay for around $20 shipped.  Also - they have their own little clickety keyboard and built in color display!

I had to share this with somebody, and maybe take some pictures to post.

In the meantime, if anyone has a Zipit Z2, you can give this a shot - and here is how:
1) Read up on my IZ2S release here: http://rayhaque.blogspot.com/2009/12/about-improved-z2-shell-iz2s.html
2) Download my IZ2S shell from here: www.oddree.com/zipit/Z2S-v205-BETA.zip
3) Download cgminer 2.9.7 for the Zipit Z2 from here: http://oddree.com/zipit/cgminer-z2.tgz

I can go into more details about how I built it using Scratchbox, etc.  But I doubt anyone cares.  Discuss.  :-)

Other interesting links:

Happy Mining,
-ODDREE

Next week - Mining Bitcoin on the V-Tech V-Smile!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
oddree (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:20:26 AM

** ALERT: This message has been flagged as a self-reply to a useless thread **

I made an updated cgminer for the Zipit.  Link is the same as above (I replaced the file).  But I enabled cpu-mining, and added icarus (USB ASIC Block Erupters).  So if anyone out there wants to hack together a USB cable and make this a mining monitor - that would be cool.  I am still debating if I want to spend the money and the time to do it myself.

Also - if you are starting into this, use this as your base Zipit image: http://russelldavis.org/2010/10/21/proper-release-of-iz2s-enhanced/

I had forgotten how much better rkdavis's version of my OS was.  :-)

And here is a picture of my little Z2 trying it's best to CPU mine - taken with a potato (from Blackberry).

https://i.imgur.com/Ekvpf7E.jpg
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:24:31 AM

Found your post very interesting even if it's useless...  Wink

You are the true definition of a hacker.
Jay_Pal
Legendary

Activity: 1493
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:13:40 AM

You are a SIR!!!
Muhahahah!!!
Well pulled!!
For sometime, I've looked for the Zipit for an inexpensive terminal console, but it turned out very expensive after shipping... :-(
Well done!

Best faucet EVER! - Freebitco.in
Don't Panic... - 1G8zjUzeZBfJpeCbz1MLTc6zQHbLm78vKc
Why not mine from the browser?
Zalfrin

Activity: 401
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:32:48 PM

Useless, but still very cool to see the cgminer scrolling across it. Smiley Does it make a good hand warmer at least?
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:36:52 PM

You might have given me the idea to mine on my Kobo reader...

Well not really actually.  Cheesy
w00dy

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 07:10:07 PM

you won free internetz for a week from me.

really cool stuff!  Cool
oddree (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 07:48:34 PM

Useless, but still very cool to see the cgminer scrolling across it. Smiley Does it make a good hand warmer at least?

I let it run all night long - trucking along at a FULL 52 Kh/s!!  It really didn't get much warmer than normal (which is still pretty warm, actually!).  Sadly, even on p00l.co which divvy's out some very small workloads, my Z2 never got a single piece of accepted work.  But it does look neat running, and I can't imagine the power draw is very high.

I think I might work on hacking that USB connection together and do some ASIC mining with it for the LAWL's.

Thank you all for the free INTERNETS.  I am stocked up for the week!  Wish I could convert them into BTC.  :-)

-ODDREE
Jay_Pal
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 09:24:31 PM

Tried to run that cgminer on an old iPAQ H3850 I have here running OPIE and it just gave me "error opening terminal: vt100" Cry

(although it runs ./cgminer --help)!!

oddree (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:52:41 PM

Tried to run that cgminer on an old iPAQ H3850 I have here running OPIE and it just gave me "error opening terminal: vt100" Cry

If you are using the cgminer I linked in this thread - know that it will only run on a Zipit Z2 device (more specifically, one that is running the default and very outdated kernel).

I had to build it in scratchbox, in a static mode (all of the libraries are bundled into one fat stupid binary).

So yeah - it's worthless to any other device.  But hey - you should work on compiling it from source on your iPAQ.  Because, why not?  If nothing else, as a goof (ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcbVUNO1NY).
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 12:51:00 AM

I can add nothing to this thread but further kudos and admiration. And the observation that there've been more than 400 views of this thread.  You've inspired me to the much easier task for getting a little Raspberry Pi mining controller going.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
Jay_Pal
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:17:59 AM

If you are using the cgminer I linked in this thread - know that it will only run on a Zipit Z2 device (more specifically, one that is running the default and very outdated kernel).

I had to build it in scratchbox, in a static mode (all of the libraries are bundled into one fat stupid binary).

So yeah - it's worthless to any other device.  But hey - you should work on compiling it from source on your iPAQ.  Because, why not?  If nothing else, as a goof (ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcbVUNO1NY).

I'd love to, but unfortunately I wouldn't know how to compile it.
It already is quite hard for me to compile for an old 32bit x86 I have. :-)
It would be very useful if it somehow managed the network and the usb peripherals, but I don't even know if the iPaq or Opie supports usb host.
In the other hand, if there was a way to use the serial port... and connect it to control an USB hub...
Oh, dreaming out loud! :p

oddree (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 12:54:15 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered a Hirose connector from Mouser so that I could get a USB connection into my Zipit and test out this theory.
This is the part: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=ST40X-24S-CV1%2880%29virtualkey64550000virtualkey798-ST40X-24S-CV180

I'm thinking that this is going to be really tough using my current methods.  Because the kernel is a 'sealed up' done-deal, and USB is typically compiled in.  So I will probably have to rebuild the kernel with all USB features attached as modules.  But if all that fails, I could always take the route of flashing a replacement kernel onto the device.

Anyhow, I will post an update in a week+ when I have some progress to report.
abn123

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 02:49:04 PM

Found your post very interesting even if it's useless...  Wink

You are the true definition of a hacker.

+1 !!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: