Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:01:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the negativities of Merit system[UPDATED][09/08/2018]  (Read 1652 times)
playboy654 (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 32

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:43:33 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2018, 06:20:13 AM by playboy654
Merited by foroplus (2)

1.I think the lower ranked members is never going to rank up to legendary.
2.Soon there maybe a merit farming.
3.I am sure that not all the quality posts will get merits.
4.Mods,DT,merits sources are exchanging smerits between them.
5.Random members going to be tagged if someone exchanged merits,but it is not going to happen if a DT member do.
6.Merits were given for the bounty threads and singature campaign threads which are almost has nothing to contribute to this forum.

I just want to hear more negativity if there,from the experts and seniors of our forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jannn

Activity: 1120
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 11:38:06 PM

This is very possible to happen and also some guys here will sale their merit to earn money.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 12:30:45 AM
Merited by foroplus (2), EFS (1), Cacingkemi (1), The_Dark_Knight (1)

In more than 2 years, if you actually contribute, you should have no problem reaching 1000 posts that have been given 1 merit, 500 posts that have been given 2 merits, etc.

Merits are finite. Those that want to sell merits will run out very quickly, unless they have a huge army of accounts, and you can't farm them by making new accounts. Merits are also public, so if people with all one liners somehow get 100 merit, the community can spot them and give them a negative trust if needed.

Well, yeah. You can't expect people to be seeing every single post, and this is really only a problem if you really want to rankup, but basically post spam, and in an attempt to do so, make a single high quality post. People who consistently post quality should be rewarded.

Almost every moderator is a Legendary member, so gaining merits would not help really. There is no reason for mods, DT and sources to trade merits, as they are usually Legendary, post good quality, and contribute.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
Palmholder

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:32:33 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2018, 03:44:01 AM by Palmholder

This is very possible to happen and also some guys here will sale their merit to earn money.
  Merit sale has aready started in russian local. No bans detected

tomleung1996

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:37:52 AM

Merit sale is aready started in russian local. No bans detected

Same thing happens in Chinese local too
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 12:57:13 AM

This is actually unlikely, at least over the long run.

Accounts do not have any way to automatically gain merit points unless they are a merit source. Also you can only give out 1/2 the merit points you get.

I don’t think this is against the rules. Also users have a limited amount of merit points to give out unless they are able to make a lot of good posts.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 12:58:48 AM

Accounts do not have any way to automatically gain merit points unless they are a merit source. Also you can only give out 1/2 the merit points you get.

How much per merit you guys offering?  Tongue Tongue  Time will tell how this makes a difference for the spammers. My guess is that it slows the farmers down a lot and that will help as the copy/paste guys gets bans...
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:05:14 AM
Merited by Wowcoin (2)

I am a merit source...how much per merit you guys offering?  Tongue Tongue  Time will tell how this makes a difference for the spammers. My guess is that it slows the farmers down a lot and that will help as the copy/paste guys gets bans...
I don't think it would be appropriate for a merit source to sell merit points (how do you know you are a merit source anyway), and seriously trying to do so would probably result in this being taken away.

With the above being said, I would not personally sell merit points, however I don't have a major issue with it as long as you are not a merit source. Your merit points are ultimately earned via your good posts, so I don't see why you can't do what you want with them. Also, if merit points are not being done in the open, it will only create a false sense of security because they would likely be done in secret if there was serious pushback against these kinds of trades.
inillo

Activity: 254
Merit: 18

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:07:37 AM

In more than 2 years, if you actually contribute, you should have no problem reaching 1000 posts that have been given 1 merit, 500 posts that have been given 2 merits, etc.

We don´t know if that is true because we don´t know how scarce is merit going to be. For example, in a extreme case, if only 1000 merits are created by the sources in a year, getting 500 will be nearly impossible.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 01:08:28 AM
Merited by Wowcoin (5)

I am a merit source...how much per merit you guys offering?  Tongue Tongue  Time will tell how this makes a difference for the spammers. My guess is that it slows the farmers down a lot and that will help as the copy/paste guys gets bans...
I don't think it would be appropriate for a merit source to sell merit points (how do you know you are a merit source anyway), and seriously trying to do so would probably result in this being taken away.

With the above being said, I would not personally sell merit points, however I don't have a major issue with it as long as you are not a merit source. Your merit points are ultimately earned via your good posts, so I don't see why you can't do what you want with them. Also, if merit points are not being done in the open, it will only create a false sense of security because they would likely be done in secret if there was serious pushback against these kinds of trades.

I was joking about selling merits obviously (hence the smiley faces). I do not thinking selling merits would really work unless you were a source and I am sure theymos was pretty picky with who is a source. I do think this system will help the more I understand it though and that is a positive thing.
kumiskura

Activity: 632
Merit: 122

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:12:34 AM
Merited by DaMut (5), DarkStar_ (1), Dahman El_Harrachi (1)

It's not the problem to be honest,because;

Ans : If they have a good quality posts,why not ?(It's not the problem absolutely)
Ans : Only Merit Source can do that,but i doubt it(very unlikely).because there'll be no more sMerit in the future if you spend it all.
for short time it will,but for long time ? no.
Ans : True,but i hope we can cover it up in the future because of this;
If you want to be a merit source:
 1. Be a somewhat established member.
 2. Collect TEN posts written in the last couple of months that have not received nearly enough merit for how good they are, and post quotes for them all in a new Meta thread.
 3. We will take a look at your history and maybe make you a source
4.Mods,DT,merits sources are exchanging smerits between them
Ans  : It's very unlikely because it's 0 value to them(should be,right?)

Well,Favoritism ?  Roll Eyes
justine11

Activity: 336
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:34:23 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 02:41:27 AM by justine11
Merited by TryNinja (1), Blazed (1), Dahman El_Harrachi (1)

No you can be a legendary if you posting high quality posts and post that may be helpful. only shit posters will never attain the legendary rank.
I don't think there will be merit farming since just like trust everyone will see the user sent/received merits it will be easy for DTs spot the account farmers
I agree not all quality posts will merited but you have a high chance that you will be merited.
No. I think mods and DTs will be fair and square when it comes to meriting someone.
foroplus
Legendary

Activity: 1212
Merit: 1052

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:14:19 AM

Hey guys, what's important here is to have a different opinion, a different way to see things. That's why I like the first post of these thread.
Hope we'll  find some good thoughts out of here.

Thanks playboy for bringing up the issue and for having a different view, which by the way I don't share, but bring some critic to the subject.

Klestar

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:16:19 AM

Its way negative to those who are on lower ranks like newbies and jr. members, they want to learn from bitcoin community yet they are demanded to quality postings to get merits. I think lower rank must have more sendable merits as they will give it to most useful post they read. Farming merits ? when that time comes sell merits in high price because it is your digital dignity and respect.
BabyFacedGuy

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:18:21 AM

I just want to hear more negativity if there,from the experts and seniors of our forum.

I agree with point 1 and 2 in the short term, in the long run more merit will be available to be given therefore it wouldn't necessarily focus into already existing high ranks, this is similar  to what happens on reddit, furthermore is a super fresh system so let's give it a few weeks before taking a position.
Swagtoshi

Activity: 261
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:20:38 AM

Its way negative to those who are on lower ranks like newbies and jr. members, they want to learn from bitcoin community yet they are demanded to quality postings to get merits. I think lower rank must have more sendable merits as they will give it to most useful post they read. Farming merits ? when that time comes sell merits in high price because it is your digital dignity and respect.

I agree. I think it makes it confusing for new users, and the difficulty in getting merit will defer the new users from joining the community. Although it is too soon to say, it seems like receiving merit is a bit difficult as the supply is limited.
fogocut21

Activity: 33
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:22:39 AM

People are not demanded to post high quality posts, nobody is preventing anyone to post stupid posts (as long as it's not a pure spam). However, if one wants to go up in ranks, he would have to actually contribute to the community by posting good and constructive posts. That's the whole point of the system, it is supposed to be some kind of indication of the user's quality.

DENARO.IO   》   CRYPTOCURRENCY WALLET AND WORLDWIDE DEBIT CARDS
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   PRE-ICO STARTS JAN 30,2018   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
long8899

Activity: 202
Merit: 18

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:33:38 AM

Same thing happens in Chinese local too

well, devs now not only need to delete spam, but also need to catch these traders. a lot of work to do, and make this forum more unfriendly.

bitcoin revo
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:37:13 AM

well, devs now not only need to delete spam, but also need to catch these traders. a lot of work to do, and make this forum more unfriendly.

Not necessarily. The community as a whole is who will need to keep an eye out and report the ones that slip through the DT1/2 members - just like regular old scammers.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:05:34 AM
Merited by Vod (2), DarkStar_ (1), romani245 (1), manchester93 (1)

How do we know that merit holders are actually going to reward them based on posting quality?

The supply implications (e.g. decay and how actively people use the merit system) also aren't obvious. So, even if people do use them as intended (as a reward for quality posts), we don't know how well-distributed they will be. For example, it's theoretically possible that once the initial sMerit awarded yesterday is mostly spent, that sMerit mostly circulates within limited social networks that revolve around merit sources.

So there's little guarantee that the system will be equitable. As a Hero Member, I won't complain, but TBH this just feels like an extension of the flawed Default Trust system. We don't technically know who merit sources are, but my guess is that it will become obvious that there is a lot of overlap between DT and merit sources.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: