Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:52:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would i have to invest in a rig to make ~2k per month?  (Read 226 times)
Newminer27 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:34:04 PM

I made a thread earlier today about making a rig with a bunch of gtx 1050s just because they seemed the most price/has efficient, but it seems kind of silly to me now. I have plenty of money, and i want to start making basically a living wage off mining. How much would i need to invest to mine 2k+ worth of coin per month? I assume at least 10k, which is fine i have the capital. And what card gives the best bang for your buck for this purpose? Gtx 1070? Im well versed in computers and could easily set it up myself, just getting some insight from you guys. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fluxy12

Activity: 145
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:47:39 PM

Hello, with 10k you can easily do 2k/month
Xeonus

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 02:51:32 PM

Based on a quick calculation on whattomine, at current difficulty and rates, if you run 15 GTX 1080 Ti's (which are the most powerful and efficient NVidia cards atm IMO), you earn roughly 68$ in profit a day. So you get roughly 2040$ of net profit for 30 days of continuous mining after electricity (~200+$ for fully optimized cards at 65% TDP).

The cards will currently cost you 15000$ MINIMUM as prices skyrocketed. Good luck finding those cards. Same applies to other models like 1070's, but then you need more cards for the same daily return. You still need high efficiency power supplies and motherboards, processors, electrical wiring upgrades, cooling and racks. Depending on how professional you want to run your operation count in another 3-5k$ just for that. Especially the upgrade of your electrical might cost you as your power draw can become an issue for standard fuse boxes. If I had no issue with funding, I would build 3 rigs containing 6x1080 TI's. I would run all of my rigs on Ubuntu or another simple distro specifically for mining.

So I would say for a high-end build - at current pricing - you will at least pay 20k$ for equipment.

I currently would suggest not to invest in equipment as prices are ridiculous. A few months ago you could have build the same rig for 10k...

Just my 2 cents on the topic. I have been mining since May 2017 with 1070 rigs.
Newminer27 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:13:43 PM

Damn yea i really wish i bought a bunch of graphics cards a few months ago... what upgrades to the electrical would be necessary for this kind of rig? I live in a rented house so i dont really want to pay to upgrade my landlords electrical... also is there ANY possible way of scoring these gpus at msrp? I signed up to get notified when stock comes in from board partners but idk if it willl help.
JKresty

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2018, 03:26:20 PM

I would imagine 220V would be the first electrical upgrade.

If you have an electric dryer, you could convert that 220V connection, and dry your clothes with your GPU cards.

Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:28:04 PM

If your living in a rented house, i would HIGHLY advise you to tell you landlord exactly what your are doing with your rig. Besides electrical issues, there's heat issues, Electrical interference issues(that many GPUs can actually cause Cellphone/Wifi issues). There's a ton more little extras than just price and building a mining rig.
MATTX

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:38:40 PM

just wait for some more time, give some time to settle crypto and also the rocket prices of gpus would smooth.
keep your money with you, thats only your atm.

DERO: CryptoNote Privacy + Smart Contracts   (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525508)
Newminer27 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:42:45 PM

Yea i guess... i just have a lot of money sitting around and i want to make more but i dont want to get a job lol. Maybe a 1k/month rig would be more feasible? Idk. Id also like to avoid fucking witj the electrical if possible.
N0pr3s3n7

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:47:53 PM

mining return is roughly 10 % of the money you invest , so in order to earn 2k monthly , u need to invest at current prices arround 20k $
Xeonus

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 04:07:10 PM

Yea i guess... i just have a lot of money sitting around and i want to make more but i dont want to get a job lol. Maybe a 1k/month rig would be more feasible? Idk. Id also like to avoid fucking witj the electrical if possible.

If you really have a lot of cash lying around then why not just buy some solid cryptos with money you are not afraid to loose and buy a hardware wallet to store your funds. We are currently experiencing quiet a dip, so buying is a valuable option and much easier than mining.

I only do mining because I love to fiddle around with hard- and software. I see it more as a hobby than a money machine Wink
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:12:49 PM

Even though these threads pop up more frequently than a bad Herpes flare up, I will say this is probably the most grounded one;  Asking what it will take to make a certain amount, instead of announcing you have a $60,000 bankroll and know nothing about about computers  Grin  But I digress.

A few things about this question.  First of all, does this house have a basement or a space to put this gear?  In my bedroom I have a 5 card rig and the heat is insane, noise was also insane until I broke down and bought 2 water coolers for my 1080s.  And this rig maybe makes me $30-$40 a day, just to give you an idea of the scale of economies you will need.  Before starting any venture like this, its good to know where you plan to put this equipment.  As far as electrical goes, I don't think you will need to start fucking around with the circuitry (unless the house is super old) and I definitely wouldn't tell your landlord.  He won't understand what you are talking about and will most likely panic.

2nd, with the GPU card shortage there is no way you will be able to acquire everything at once and hit the ground running.  It will have to start out slowly, which is good, because even if you are well versed in computers, I'm sure you have no experience trying to hook up 8 graphics cards to a single motherboard Smiley  And beyond that, it will take some time to learn the tricks do doing this cheaply, like buying an old HP server on ebay for 500 bucks or getting a 1200w server psu for $20.  I started my rig by buying all of the components from newegg and amazon.  I don't regret it because I also am using my rig as a personal computer.  But as I expand, I am now starting to figure out how I can install new equipment into a rack and better organize it.

On the same note as the GPU shortage, do not pay over retail for cards.  Your earnings will flucuate like high tide on a full moon.  All of my currency holdings have been cut in half since 3 weeks ago.  I'm not worried, but if I had been mining with a bunch of $1000 1080ti's my cheeks would be stretched right now.  You need to think of the resell value of anything you buy.  If I sold all of my cards today, I would make a profit, despite having used them for a year.  In 2 months they will be cheap again.  I got into mining at the height of the Ethereum craze.  At the time it was hard to find cards, then a month later there were nothing but articles about people selling their cards after Ether lost half its value.

Now to answer your question about the best way to go about this, there are different schools of thought.  By far your best bang per buck on a card basis would be the 1050ti.  You get about 45 of those running at once and you will make your $2k a month.  Of course as you have probably already thought, running 45 cards requires a lot of overheard with multiple motherboards and computer to monitor.  The equivelant would be about 10 or 11 gtx 1080tis, or around 15 or 16 1080s or 1070ti.   The larger miners favor the gtx 1080ti because they are more dense;  10 cards take up a lot less space than 45!    Your best bet would be to scour the internet and if you see any 1050ti and up at retail or below, buy it.  You are going to have to put this together piece by piece.
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:16:37 PM

If you really have a lot of cash lying around then why not just buy some solid cryptos with money you are not afraid to loose and buy a hardware wallet to store your funds. We are currently experiencing quiet a dip, so buying is a valuable option and much easier than mining.

I only do mining because I love to fiddle around with hard- and software. I see it more as a hobby than a money machine Wink

I would agree with this statement.  I normally don't advocate trading over mining, but right now coin prices are at rock bottom and hardware prices are the peak.  You could always do the best of both words and buy and hold bitcoin, then you are primed to buy an ASIC miner whenever Bitmain releases one.  I know my A3 is currently making me more than $2000 a month  Grin
MrTDHP

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:43:20 PM

If your living in a rented house, i would HIGHLY advise you to tell you landlord exactly what your are doing with your rig. Besides electrical issues, there's heat issues, Electrical interference issues(that many GPUs can actually cause Cellphone/Wifi issues). There's a ton more little extras than just price and building a mining rig.
Just realized this is the issue why my wireless keyboard+mouse are so unresponsive. I need to use a usb cable extender to move away the dongle from the rig and problem solved.
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 06:54:08 PM

Even though these threads pop up more frequently than a bad Herpes flare up, I will say this is probably the most grounded one;  Asking what it will take to make a certain amount, instead of announcing you have a $60,000 bankroll and know nothing about about computers  Grin  But I digress.

A few things about this question.  First of all, does this house have a basement or a space to put this gear?  In my bedroom I have a 5 card rig and the heat is insane, noise was also insane until I broke down and bought 2 water coolers for my 1080s.  And this rig maybe makes me $30-$40 a day, just to give you an idea of the scale of economies you will need.  Before starting any venture like this, its good to know where you plan to put this equipment.  As far as electrical goes, I don't think you will need to start fucking around with the circuitry (unless the house is super old) and I definitely wouldn't tell your landlord.  He won't understand what you are talking about and will most likely panic.

2nd, with the GPU card shortage there is no way you will be able to acquire everything at once and hit the ground running.  It will have to start out slowly, which is good, because even if you are well versed in computers, I'm sure you have no experience trying to hook up 8 graphics cards to a single motherboard Smiley  And beyond that, it will take some time to learn the tricks do doing this cheaply, like buying an old HP server on ebay for 500 bucks or getting a 1200w server psu for $20.  I started my rig by buying all of the components from newegg and amazon.  I don't regret it because I also am using my rig as a personal computer.  But as I expand, I am now starting to figure out how I can install new equipment into a rack and better organize it.

On the same note as the GPU shortage, do not pay over retail for cards.  Your earnings will flucuate like high tide on a full moon.  All of my currency holdings have been cut in half since 3 weeks ago.  I'm not worried, but if I had been mining with a bunch of $1000 1080ti's my cheeks would be stretched right now.  You need to think of the resell value of anything you buy.  If I sold all of my cards today, I would make a profit, despite having used them for a year.  In 2 months they will be cheap again.  I got into mining at the height of the Ethereum craze.  At the time it was hard to find cards, then a month later there were nothing but articles about people selling their cards after Ether lost half its value.

Now to answer your question about the best way to go about this, there are different schools of thought.  By far your best bang per buck on a card basis would be the 1050ti.  You get about 45 of those running at once and you will make your $2k a month.  Of course as you have probably already thought, running 45 cards requires a lot of overheard with multiple motherboards and computer to monitor.  The equivelant would be about 10 or 11 gtx 1080tis, or around 15 or 16 1080s or 1070ti.   The larger miners favor the gtx 1080ti because they are more dense;  10 cards take up a lot less space than 45!    Your best bet would be to scour the internet and if you see any 1050ti and up at retail or below, buy it.  You are going to have to put this together piece by piece.

What are you mining with that 5 card 1080 rig?
Newminer27 (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:07:41 PM

thanks for the info, so i have loaded up an ebay cart with a 12 gpu mining motherboard, the 12 cheapest "buy it now" 1050tis, 12 pcie risers, a celeron g3930, a 4gb stick of ddr4, a 60gb ssd, and an open air mining case. only thing i have yet to add is the power supply and im not entirely sure what power supply i will need for this lol. the total cost of my ebay cart is about $3400, and a profit calculator says that i should net 340 a month from this setup, not bad. maybe ill just start with this and then double or triple it once i get the hang of it. and yes there is an entirely empty room in my house i plan to put the rig.
Xazax310

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:10:48 PM

FYI pick up the ASUS B250 Mining Expert board, that's your best bet considering gouge prices on Fleebay right now. h110 pro BTC and ASUS B250 are exact same price, i'd go for the B250.
androstan1234

Activity: 251
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:52:25 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2018, 09:48:12 PM by androstan1234

thanks for the info, so i have loaded up an ebay cart with a 12 gpu mining motherboard, the 12 cheapest "buy it now" 1050tis, 12 pcie risers, a celeron g3930, a 4gb stick of ddr4, a 60gb ssd, and an open air mining case. only thing i have yet to add is the power supply and im not entirely sure what power supply i will need for this lol. the total cost of my ebay cart is about $3400, and a profit calculator says that i should net 340 a month from this setup, not bad. maybe ill just start with this and then double or triple it once i get the hang of it. and yes there is an entirely empty room in my house i plan to put the rig.

You should get a second 4gb stick.  Some people have issues running 12 gpus with only 4gb of ram.  It's not much more money and it can only help with stability.  Also it is difficult to get more than 8 gpus to work on a single motherboard, especially 8 nvidia gpus.  Since you're new at this, I think you should just get two 8-slot boards.  I'd also recommend a 120GB SSD, especially if you'll be running Windows, so that you have a little breathing room.  Again, not much extra cost.  If you're using linux, and are comfortable with it, 60 GB is plenty.

Personally I would think twice before dropping ~$2500 on 1050 ti's.  They only have 4 GB of RAM, which makes them less future-proof than the 6GB and 8GB cards out there.  Still, they're a much better choice than the 1060 3GB.  I would snap up 1060 6GB, 1070, 1070 Ti at or close to MSRP, which is still possible if you invest some time.  Twelve 1070s will bring in about $1300/month minus electricity, under current conditions.  So you could hit your $2k/month target with two 10-card rigs.  If the cards are 1070 ti then you could hit it with two 8-card rigs under Windows.  I don't know where you live, but in the U.S. most circuits are rated at 1440W for continuous use.  An 8-card 1070 Ti rig can sneak in under that power threshold and earn close to $1k/month.  So as long as you have two circuits in your home, you can run two rigs and hit your targets this way, without doing any electrical modifications.

That's about $9,000 for the 1070 Ti's.  You also do not want to skimp on the power supplies.  I made this mistake initially.  I had endless headaches troubleshooting problems, and most of them would have been solved by a more robust PSU.  I have two mixed rigs each earning about $500/month (each consuming about 700W), running 24/7, never go down.  Each one is powered by a Corsair AX 1500i (80+ titanium).  I highly recommend it.  Others have used server PSUs.  I don't have any experience with that, so I can't comment on that option.

If I had only one piece of advice for anyone.  Do not skimp on the PSU.  Do_not_do_it.  I lost a lot of sleep and have some grey hairs because of that mistake.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: