Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:10:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Labs Bankruptcy and Refund Clawbacks  (Read 887 times)
newb4ever (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:46:45 PM

This post got me banned from BFL forums, which I totally expected.  Are any of you lawyers?  When BFL goes bankrupt will my US$60K+ refund get clawed back?

---

TOPIC:  Refund Clawbacks when BFL goes Bankrupt

Some people got out of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme before the bottom fell out and came out whole, or way ahead.

After the whole Madoff thing fell apart, those who still had investments with him had pennies or less on the dollar to recover. Lawyers for those unlucky investors have tried suing other investors who got out in time to improve the settlement for their clients.

So ... in this SIMILARLY FRAUDULENT SITUATION here, when BFL goes bankrupt and doesn't have enough to refund all the Monarch pre-orders, will lawyers go after some of the refunds handed out earlier? Of course, a ruling of FRAUD will mean some personal assets of BFL staff might be in play, too, for settlements. I wonder how discovery of BTC assets will go in that case?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 01:15:13 PM

You are not a vendor or creditor of BFLs you are a customer.

Your refund cannot be "clawed back" as you put it.

Only recent payments to vendors and suppliers can be recovered.

Relax.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 01:24:36 PM

This happened to a buddy of mine.  He was a consultant working at a company.  They paid him for his services.  Then they went bankrupt.  He had to send the money back to the bankruptcy court.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
newb4ever (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:03:01 PM

You are not a vendor or creditor of BFLs you are a customer.

Your refund cannot be "clawed back" as you put it.

Only recent payments to vendors and suppliers can be recovered.

Relax.

@JoeVentura:  awesome, glad someone knows what happens in this case!

@BurtW:  sounds bad for your friend, thanks for letting us know, knowledge might come in useful some day!  I'll learn to stay away from near-BK-customers, or to charge them way more for my services to account for the risk!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: