Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:24:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: <wanted> tech assist with electrum wallet  (Read 109 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Pistachio (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:25:28 PM

I have an older version of Electrum installed on a desktop that has approx 0.065btc in the wallet (pre-spinoffs). I have not updated the client. I used many different passwords and managed to lose track of the one for this wallet. I read about an exploit in Electrum that can steal the private keys from wallets. Maybe this can be used for some good for once. Is there a reputable member here, preferably someone I know, that can help me retrieve the coins from my wallet?

It's leftovers from a class project in which I gave each student 0.01 - 0.02 btc to promote social justice in their local community. I am fine splitting the proceeds with someone who can assist in retrieving them. If you happen to live in NC, it would be better to do this in person.

Cheers,
Pistachio

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
journeyman12

Activity: 166
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:51:45 PM

You don´t have the 12 words string anymore ?
journeyman12

Activity: 166
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 06:54:22 PM

Forgive me the stupid question, as it may come off like I think you are a complete noob, but I had to ask it.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 07:14:02 PM

I have an older version of Electrum installed on a desktop that has approx 0.065btc in the wallet (pre-spinoffs). I have not updated the client. I used many different passwords and managed to lose track of the one for this wallet. I read about an exploit in Electrum that can steal the private keys from wallets. Maybe this can be used for some good for once. Is there a reputable member here, preferably someone I know, that can help me retrieve the coins from my wallet?

It's leftovers from a class project in which I gave each student 0.01 - 0.02 btc to promote social justice in their local community. I am fine splitting the proceeds with someone who can assist in retrieving them. If you happen to live in NC, it would be better to do this in person.

Cheers,
Pistachio

I'm not aware of such hacks that have affected encrypted wallet files. I know recently there was a json response call that could be done on unencrypted wallets to scrape data from peoples' computers but if the wallet was encrypted:
1. if the wallet file entirely was encrypted, then nothing can be gained.
2. if the wallet file wasn't then the master public key and addresses were the only things that could be taken.

There is Btcrecover that is a piece of software that I think supports electrum if you can do it personally [it helps if you have a GPU is it's obviously quite intensive on processing power] or there are online services that you can access that'll do it for you (not sure how much they charge but lots of people seem happy with their service, even if it is probably quite slow to get a response).
Do you have any  idea as to any information about the password? How many characters could it have contained, what do you think it was loosley based on, did you used to make passwords based on just words alone that could use a dictionary so less possibilities of passwords need to be searched in order to gain the password to your wallet and decrypt it.
CoolWave

Activity: 630
Merit: 107

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 11:07:46 PM

Cheers,
Pistachio

I do not know whether it is going to work or not but I have seen a strange stuff in electrum . It does NOT ask for any password when opened from a Windows 8.1 64 bit (perhaps my pc ) standalone wallet .  So all you have to do is to locate that wallet.dat file and open it from such an OS .
Alternatively the EASIER way would be to locate that file>open with notepad> see the private key . It should be named as "default" (the wallet.dat file) .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: