Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:30:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: With Hackers everywhere, How safe is Cryptocurrency?  (Read 4472 times)
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:23:35 PM

Cryptocurrency is safe enough, but human is the weakest part of any security system in the world, so first of all, you need to be very careful about what you are saying and posting wherever it is happening, they can use everything to get your money!

That's true! Cryptocurrencies are as safe as you want them to be. By design, cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are safe and secure against attacks from hackers. However, due to the carelessness of humans, they expose themselves to become hacked easily either by using online wallets, centralized exchanges, sharing their private keys, or even the inability to secure their computer with the latest antivirus software and a good firewall.

If people want their cryptocurrencies to become safe against unwanted theft of hacks, then they just need to follow the necessary precautions to avoid such things from happening in the future. Generating keys for a wallet without being connected to the internet is a good practice to help secure your crypto funds. In addition, using a hardware wallet would also protect you against undesired situations with your crypto funds. Therefore, by following such practices, you could avoid your funds getting hacked with ease. I myself, have been into crypto for a couple of years now, and have never been hacked because I always depend on cold storage, hardware wallets, and never disclose information about the amount of crypto balances I have. But, it's true that hackers always find a way to trick you and get your money, which is why, it's advised that you keep yourself updated against the latest threats to prevent your funds from getting stolen in the future. Smiley

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AleSergio

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

BuyAnyLight - Blockchain LED Marketplace

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:34:49 PM

Sometimes I think people dont uderstand who is hacker and how they work. If you are such kind of a person who never reads what is written and you always enter phishing email and etc. You give everywhere your accounts and passwords, than ofcourse you can be hacked, if not they need to come to your home and get what they need. Cryptocurrency is a safe thing, windows 10 is not Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄           
       ▄▄███████████▄▄     
   ▄▄███████████████████▄▄ 
 ▄█████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
████      ▀██▀  ▀██  ████████
████  ███   █    ██  ████████
████       █  ██  █  ████████
████  ███            ████████
████         █████        ███
█████████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████▀▀ 
       ▀▀███████████▀▀     
            ▀▀▀▀▀           
.BUYANYLIGHT.

bajigur894784

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 05:57:20 PM

Its no longer news that an ICO in Japan has lost over $400 million to hackers. They promised to pay back investors who invested in their ICO. Thsi is a huge loss. After I read that news, I began to wonder. How safe is Bitcoin and Other altcoins? What measures should we take to avoid being hacked ?

I think, if you store bitcoins in the online wallet, you must use strong passwords. you can also add two-factor authentication services like Google Authenticator which are often offered by web-based wallets. The backup wallet is also required to guard against the possible problematic server or computer / hard disk damaged.
Paka1

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 11:51:35 PM

I would say hackers are everywhere and they can not stop running the crypto currencies because they know very it's anonymous nature is leading factor for them. They kind of get extra layer of protection. Anyway with some research they can be caught.

About the precautions . .

1. You should store your tokens and/or coins in the wallet for which you hold the private keys.
2. Obviously store these private keys in safe place and I would suggest that you should save them in the offline password manager.
3. Never ever go to link of your wallet from different websites, chats etc. Always bookmark your wallet website link.
4. Using the hardware wallet is advisable but looking at the cost you may prefer focusing on the first three points.
5. Storing the tokens on exchanger is worst idea. Hence follow the rules 1, 2 & 3.
5. Do not use public internet and I am pretty sure if you access wallets like that then you will loose your money.

That's all I know and I follow.
This one is really helpful,  this rules and guidelines must be followed if you don't want hackers to ruin your account. This is to keep all your account more private and safe. I do agree,  that one must store its account offline and with wallet. It is safer because you don't have to go through internet where hackers are just one click away. One should keep these in mind.
shulio
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 12:26:46 AM

Using a cold wallet is the most secure way to keep your tokens or coins. Hackers will be around all the time.
gandhe83

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 07:53:17 AM

Most of these criminals targeting huge bitcoin entities that is why most ico coins consider more funds for project security. So knowing that they are still being hacked make us wonder, what are those lapses, leak info where?. Hackers will do anything to penetrate on one's device, not today but on time of us being complacent.
Yes, cold storages are advisable or a simple method of distributing our assets into parts. Especially those with value. It is still better if we are using a separate pc or device for daily personal use, and another one or two for bitcoin and cryptocurrencies.
Crypto currencies were totally safe but their wallets are not,there were lot of wallets available with different levels of security so we need to pick the right for storing wallets.We need to keep our private keys safe not electronically saved.But when we are comparing the fiat money the crypto currencies were ahead but the volatility is biggest disadvantage still.
Exactly. Electronic money is always safe and their wallet is not.
That shows you need to equip yourself with a versatile and high security wallet
Invest in money, invest in money safes.
This is safe and easy to maintain. I think so.
taxli

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 11:43:03 AM

I think that cryptocurrency is secure the same value that you are secured, because you are the weakest part in all security system. You can show your private keys and nobody else could not.
Ethreyes

Activity: 175
Merit: 1

www.daxico.com

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:28:37 PM

Its no longer news that an ICO in Japan has lost over $400 million to hackers. They promised to pay back investors who invested in their ICO. Thsi is a huge loss. After I read that news, I began to wonder. How safe is Bitcoin and Other altcoins? What measures should we take to avoid being hacked ?

Definetly thats the biggest question faced by a lots of crypto user especially today...  On how to escape this hackers and scammers...  Today they are spreading that's why even the bounty campaign and some ICO's cannot truly trust anymore...  We cant scape from them even we are so much careful...  Especially if you are only a begginer here that's why we need to double and triple our awareness....
drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 12:50:40 PM

Definetly thats the biggest question faced by a lots of crypto user especially today...  On how to escape this hackers and scammers...  Today they are spreading that's why even the bounty campaign and some ICO's cannot truly trust anymore...  We cant scape from them even we are so much careful...  Especially if you are only a begginer here that's why we need to double and triple our awareness....

In general, just use your brain and you will be fine.
Chooroz

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 01:40:33 PM

I think that cryptocurrency is secure the same value that you are secured, because you are the weakest part in all security system. You can show your private keys and nobody else could not.
Well even there are so many hackers now i still believe that our money in cryptocurrency will always be safe and secured as long as we are using a good walllet, just like using blockchain and coinbase both of this wallet can really protect our bitcoin.

A re'volutionary decentralized digital economy 
Join us:██`Twitter  ◽  Facebook  ◽  Telegram  ◽  Youtube  ◽  Github
.ATHERO
.Internet 3.0 solution
jakagintiri

Activity: 420

www.coinxes.io

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 02:41:28 PM

always upgrade your security access, don't be too often input your email address to a site that is not clear, Milan all passwords related to your bitcoin wallet, use Google authentica, maybe that way it can fairly secure wallet bitcoin you from hackers.

Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 06:00:35 PM

That's right! We as humans are the flaw inherent within any security system. You can have an extremely secure system, but if you as a person or individual don't take the necessary precautions, then you'll be doomed. Many people have been hacked because of many obvious reasons, such as revealing their balances and private keys, using online wallets, carelessness of updating or installing an antivirus software, and more.

If you want to avoid being hacked as much as possible, then try to never disclose your personal information, as well as your private keys and current coin balances. Also, make use of a hardware wallet or cold storage since they're extremely secure by design. If you do that, then you'll be able to make a hacker's life impossible since he/she would need to gain physical access to your cold storage wallet or hardware wallet, to be able to steal your funds. When downloading a wallet software such as Bitcoin Core, or even Geth (for Ethereum), you would need to verify the authenticity of such software with the provided hashes. If the original dev’s software's keys don’t match the ones you get from verifying the software, then you'll know that it has been modified, making it unsafe against hackers.

Once you do all of this, then it's very unlikely that your cryptocurrency funds will get hacked or stolen. What is needed is proper education to people who're new into cryptocurrencies, for them to be able to avoid such undesired situations. In my case, I've been using Bitcoin and other cryptos for quite a long time and had never been hacked because I always follow the necessary security procedures. If you do as me, you'll be fine. Wink

Trish14

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:49:04 AM

Its usually advised that bitcoins or any other crypto coins should never be stored in  any of the exchanges as it has higher chances of getting hacked.We earlier saw the collapse of Mt.Gox exchange which was followed by the hacking of some other exchanges.Also,we should never reveal our private keys anywhere.Also,we should not store our private keys in clipboards in our desktops as clipboard hackers could easily hack them.

Yes I believed that hackers are everywhere. In order to protect our cryptocurrency safe, don't be careless about your password you just keep it. Do not put your password in your computer so that it will far from hackers. We must be carefull of such information.
Elwin_Dog

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:58:33 AM

Cryptocurrency is safe enough, but human is the weakest part of any security system in the world, so first of all, you need to be very careful about what you are saying and posting wherever it is happening, they can use everything to get your money!

That's true! Cryptocurrencies are as safe as you want them to be. By design, cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are safe and secure against attacks from hackers. However, due to the carelessness of humans, they expose themselves to become hacked easily either by using online wallets, centralized exchanges, sharing their private keys, or even the inability to secure their computer with the latest antivirus software and a good firewall.

If people want their cryptocurrencies to become safe against unwanted theft of hacks, then they just need to follow the necessary precautions to avoid such things from happening in the future. Generating keys for a wallet without being connected to the internet is a good practice to help secure your crypto funds. In addition, using a hardware wallet would also protect you against undesired situations with your crypto funds. Therefore, by following such practices, you could avoid your funds getting hacked with ease. I myself, have been into crypto for a couple of years now, and have never been hacked because I always depend on cold storage, hardware wallets, and never disclose information about the amount of crypto balances I have. But, it's true that hackers always find a way to trick you and get your money, which is why, it's advised that you keep yourself updated against the latest threats to prevent your funds from getting stolen in the future. Smiley

Good point. The trouble that people seem to be having with crypto is because the onus is on them for security. Up until now, the only security we've had to deal with is the pin number for our bank cards and the login password for online banking. Now, things become more complicated. This is why people shouldn't be outraged if money is lost. The exchanges aren't perfect, they can only do so much to keep their environment secure. Although if they want to preserve their reputation, they should most certainly have a team of fraud prevention experts working full time people have so much money in those accounts.
farosa

Activity: 506
Merit: 101

1 & 0 😏

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 12:03:11 PM

Cryptocurrency is more safe than paper money in under the pillow or in your plastic card. They're more likely to be stolen. Certainly, there is the possibility that crypto will be stolen. use stronger passwords, keep private keys in a more secure place, and use 2FA to make their business difficult.
connexus

Activity: 774
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 12:16:11 PM

Hackers are really everywhere so better never give anyone informations about your wallet keys and keep it safe by activating your two factor authentication and also keep many back up to secure your wallet.
Lion_ashy

Activity: 78

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 02:12:00 PM

To me I don't see it has top notch hacking. Taking a background entry inside exchanges, hacking coins on exchanges using someone's gmails, also jacking people wallet with private keys. To me I feel like all these acts ain't hacking. Where am from Hackers don't really key they device there own key. But making use of private keys or using peopled's gmail to gain access to exchanges isn't really hacking I feel like its once act of carelessness or exchanges act of carelessness. Such transactions always have an insider like an admin for the exchange betraying the whole firm.  And the issue of wallets being hacked, watch ur back. It's ur best friend or a neighbor...trust me that person has access to you.  A strange person can't just hack ur wallet. Or the issue of airdrops. Airdrop requesting for passwords also use that method to hack people's mail. For people using the same password thereby making them vulnerable. This is what I know.  Cryptocurrency is still very safe.
roxbit

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 02:34:24 PM

Blockchain technology is by far one of the most innovative security systems. However, hackers cannot disappear. No matter how strong of a system is, there will always be a hacker who can breach it. If it is made, then there is always a way. Negligence is the number 1 cause of hackers' continuing counts of victims. That's why we all should know some precautions:

1. Never give you private key to anyone.  When a site wants a private key, start doubting that site.
2. Always read and understand. Watch out for grammar mistakes and such stuffs. Most bogus sites have ugly as hell grammar
3. Be vigilant! Do background checking! Some might say "paranoid!!" But who cares?! It's your money on the line!!!!

Correct, I gree with you in this. The best thing to keep our crypto assets safe is through a proper personal care of our own private keys. And avoid being phised in an anonymous or malicious websites. Better be safe than sorry because no one else can be blamed if we get hacked or become a victim of hackers except our own negligence. Hackers will always find ways to get what they want but its up to us if we let them get it.
Aiiimm

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 10:27:26 PM

We're on the internet in our social media with the number of crooks, scammers and hackers now need to really double thesecurity. For me the cryptocurrency is still safe as to how you value or how you keep your wallet safe. You should not give out to whom your private keys its because it is for the sake 0f your money. Take care always.
t3ChNo

Activity: 714
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 11:16:03 PM

Hackers will be there as long as there's money involved. I do hope the crypto exchanges had beefed their security.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: