Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:06:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these cables dangerous?  (Read 137 times)
COLT601 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:18:39 AM

Built up my first mining rig. TRYING to run 7 RX 580s but the only power supplies I could find were two Corsair 750w units. So I have them set up running dual, but the problem is each power supply only has two 8 pin connectors. So right now I can only run two GPU's per power supply  Undecided

My AMD Radeon cards require both an 8 pin and a 6 pin connection to work. Yeahhh... so obviously this is not an ideal situation but it's what I've got.

The four cards are mining great but I have 3 other GPU's still sitting in the box. I'd really prefer not to have to spend another $360 on a new power supply since I'm past the cut off to return the two Corsairs.

In addition to the two 8 pin connectors, there six 6 pin connectors on the PSU's.  I found this cable on amazon:

6 Pin male to Dual 2x 8 Pin (6+2) male PCI Express Power Adapter Cable for Graphics Video Card 24-inch

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Express-Adapter-Graphics-24-inch/dp/B076YXS6KL

And it appears the 6 pin would connect into the PSU and the other two ends 6+2 and the 6 pin would connect into the video cards.

Is this cable safe to run without worrying about starting a fire?  The GPU's are drawing 185w each

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 08:02:54 AM

Built up my first mining rig. TRYING to run 7 RX 580s but the only power supplies I could find were two Corsair 750w units. So I have them set up running dual, but the problem is each power supply only has two 8 pin connectors. So right now I can only run two GPU's per power supply  Undecided

My AMD Radeon cards require both an 8 pin and a 6 pin connection to work. Yeahhh... so obviously this is not an ideal situation but it's what I've got.

The four cards are mining great but I have 3 other GPU's still sitting in the box. I'd really prefer not to have to spend another $360 on a new power supply since I'm past the cut off to return the two Corsairs.

In addition to the two 8 pin connectors, there six 6 pin connectors on the PSU's.  I found this cable on amazon:

6 Pin male to Dual 2x 8 Pin (6+2) male PCI Express Power Adapter Cable for Graphics Video Card 24-inch

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Express-Adapter-Graphics-24-inch/dp/B076YXS6KL

And it appears the 6 pin would connect into the PSU and the other two ends 6+2 and the 6 pin would connect into the video cards.

Is this cable safe to run without worrying about starting a fire?  The GPU's are drawing 185w each

Generally, you don't want to have the possibility of any single line of PCIe power connectors carrying a load greater than 2x 8-pin connectors. 1x 8-pin and 2x 6-pin should be fine, 3x 6-pin, etc. However, it's also difficult to know how a given card distributes the power it requires between the PCIe slot and one or more onboard power connectors. For example, with splitters, you *might* be fine powering more than 4 risers off of one PSU line of PCIe power connectors, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Lastly, if you intend to run all of the cards at the full 185W TDP, you're going to have a problem with only 2x 750W PSUs.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███