Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:53:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inspiring stuff  (Read 908 times)
Sjalq (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:12:08 PM

Read this quite old reply by forever-d to a post about hostile action against the bitcoin network, though it just had to be posted afresh.

Personally I don't agree with the concept of pirating stuff that others worked to produce, but the sentiment and logic here are elegant to say the least!

Since you are using p2p filesharing networks as an analogy...

Government crackdowns actually stengthened the p2p filesharing ecosystem instead of weakening it.

Government crackdowns acted like something of an evolutionary pressure; for every filesharing network that was successfully destroyed, a new generation of better, stronger ones sprang up.

Napster relied on a single centralised server. The government  shut down the server. Result? Several Napster clones that could support multiple servers. Then the government started taking down servers one by one. Result? Serverless technology. Then the government started prosecution of individual users. Result? Proliferation of VPN providers and pseudonymous p2p. And so on....

I doubt we would have a lot of innovative technologies today (eg. i2p, tor, bittorrent) if governments simply had left Napster alone.  Talking about unintended consequences!

Conclusion:

Government may succeed in destroying the current block chain. It may even succeed in destroying the current implementation of the Bitcoin protocol. But it will never destroy the source code, the meme, the spirit, and the community. The p2p cryptocurrency genie is out of the bottle.

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:19:06 PM

Uh, the chain is as distributed as the code. How are they going to destroy it?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cryptothief

Activity: 350
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2018, 10:12:16 PM

Following the general rules of innovation and evolution, the necessity to evolve and adapt to obstacles, in this particular example it's legislation. Interesting perspective on the subject, I wonder if it did accelerate development, definitely seems like a logical conclusion, albeit one that could never be conclusively proven.

BITSONG  ▌ THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED MUSIC STREAMING PLATFORM
▅ ▉ ▇ ▃ ▅   THE NEW MUSIC STREAMING ERA   ▅ ▃ ▇ ▉ ▅   PUBLIC SALE is LIVE
[ Telegram ➭ ChannelGroup ]   Whitepaper   Facebook   Twitter   Github   Medium   ANN
cryptojac17

Activity: 490
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 10:27:09 PM

Following the general rules of innovation and evolution, the necessity to evolve and adapt to obstacles, in this particular example it's legislation. Interesting perspective on the subject, I wonder if it did accelerate development, definitely seems like a logical conclusion, albeit one that could never be conclusively proven.
Definitely it's a nature of human being to be innovative and to think outside the box the proliferation of new technology and concepts of P2P is the indications that people want freedom from third party control  that would only want to take hold of people's wealth, even how much effort they did to stop proliferation still exists and persist.

kauban2018

Activity: 271
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 11:46:57 AM

Read this quite old reply by forever-d to a post about hostile action against the bitcoin network, though it just had to be posted afresh.

Personally I don't agree with the concept of pirating stuff that others worked to produce, but the sentiment and logic here are elegant to say the least!

Since you are using p2p filesharing networks as an analogy...

Government crackdowns actually stengthened the p2p filesharing ecosystem instead of weakening it.

Government crackdowns acted like something of an evolutionary pressure; for every filesharing network that was successfully destroyed, a new generation of better, stronger ones sprang up.

Napster relied on a single centralised server. The government  shut down the server. Result? Several Napster clones that could support multiple servers. Then the government started taking down servers one by one. Result? Serverless technology. Then the government started prosecution of individual users. Result? Proliferation of VPN providers and pseudonymous p2p. And so on....

I doubt we would have a lot of innovative technologies today (eg. i2p, tor, bittorrent) if governments simply had left Napster alone.  Talking about unintended consequences!

Conclusion:

Government may succeed in destroying the current block chain. It may even succeed in destroying the current implementation of the Bitcoin protocol. But it will never destroy the source code, the meme, the spirit, and the community. The p2p cryptocurrency genie is out of the bottle.

Very interesting topic shared. In my opinion, this is one of the great tool that someone in business may have, the ability to believe that people's spirit in still choosing Bitcoin even government is opposing is a thing that others may apply. Even how many technologies created by the innovative people that may possibly could be the reason to end the part of Bitcoin the world still the spirit is there as a one community.
sepeda karat

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 01:40:58 PM

How busy you are, will find the point when you have to do and decide something. It's not a worthy thing to be the motto of your life, because life should lead to a better way, instead of finding the wrong way to know the good way.
BTCW
Copper Member

Activity: 193
Merit: 235

Click "+Merit" top-right corner

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:24:05 PM

I love your post for two reasons:

1. It makes no sense whatsoever to a sober person.
2. You managed to bump a seven year old thread.

Kudos!

SendBTC.me <<< amazing imitative
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:35:43 PM

If government could succeed in destroying the current blockchain, Bitcoin would have be destroyed definitely a few years ago. But not, some governments have to put a ban and protecting their currency.
Ngemmeng

Activity: 1106
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 03:53:31 PM

the government only needs to make rules about the circulation of bitcoin, so bitcoin is not misused by certain people. but wait a minute, I just realized that this thread was created 7 years ago.
b1ockchain

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 04:49:11 PM

Great! We should be worried about more and more countries have an opened mind about blockchain technology and Bitcoin then?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: