Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:33:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-08-30 - Bitcoin Foundation meets Washington [Audio]  (Read 1112 times)
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 12:34:28 PM

"This week saw a flurry of news excitedly claiming disaster or deliverance from a set of meetings the Bitcoin Foundation undertook in the US Capital, Washington DC. Bitcoin NYCs Jonathan Mohan sat down with Marco Santori, head of the Foundations Regulatory Affairs committee and one of the primaries at this weeks meetings in question to figure out what went on and if its something for the average user to worry about"

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e37-meeting-mastercoin/

you can give a tip in litecoin  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:13:02 AM

thanks for sharing!
repost on my site:

http://p2pbucks.com/?p=7029
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 01:31:01 AM

Bitcoin NYCs Jonathan Mohan

First off, can they fix the audio quality, I had to click off after 5mins of the only part of the interview I wanted to hear. I wish he asked more information from Marco Santori, about what happened behind those doors. They talked about it really around about way. Also Jonathan said "There's a vibe in the community that government wants to kill bitcoin as quickly as possible" What community is he talking about? Cause I pretty sure most of us welcomed this talk. Yes we have extremist but that is NOT the entire community. Really needs to get his facts straight when he generalized the whole community. Also he is hardly on the forums so yeah great to know he knows the people here.

Also wish Marco Santori didn't say at the end, if you want to have voice join the foundation. That makes it sound like join the foundation or don't help in bitcoin. Kinda not the message I expected since we are all in this together. If you are apart of the foundation or not, these are huge steps for all bitcoiners. But I guess he makes some money from the foundation and has to say that. It just really upsetted me as someone who doesn't care about the foundation but cares about the legal future of bitcoin. It actually sounded like a scare tactic but whatever, the foundation must be hurting since a lot of people didn't renew.

thanks for sharing!
repost on my site:

http://p2pbucks.com/?p=7029

Let me just click on that link... NOT
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:02:46 PM

Here's what it really is:

1.) A lazy way to get a completely free briefing on a topic that may threaten the existing financial infrastructure. (if it isn't co-opted or integrated).

2.) An opportunity to assign faces/names to "Bitcoin", just in case they need to make an example out of someone.

3.) A display of complete cluelessness on part of the Foundation, thinking that the moderate scenario has a chance in hell. (Softball regulation, some hooks for government revenue streams. The problem here is, even if it starts out this way, when the threat becomes more apparent - it won't end this way.)

If you think that regulation and working within the system is the overall goal of Bitcoin, you're not paying attention to why Bitcoin was created in the first place.

Bitcoin is freedom. Financial freedom that isn't reliant on any kind of controls. Please explain to me how that reconciles with the urge of the Foundation to seek controls on using Bitcoin. They're incompatible, and everyone should understand that. The fact that the Foundation doesn't, and some users don't -- is a rather appalling display of critical thinking failure.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:05:09 PM

Here's what it really is:

1.) A lazy way to get a completely free briefing on a topic that may threaten the existing financial infrastructure. (if it isn't co-opted or integrated).

2.) An opportunity to assign faces/names to "Bitcoin", just in case they need to make an example out of someone.

3.) A display of complete cluelessness on part of the Foundation, thinking that the moderate scenario has a chance in hell. (Softball regulation, some hooks for government revenue streams. The problem here is, even if it starts out this way, when the threat becomes more apparent - it won't end this way.)

If you think that regulation and working within the system is the overall goal of Bitcoin, you're not paying attention to why Bitcoin was created in the first place.

Bitcoin is freedom. Financial freedom that isn't reliant on any kind of controls. Please explain to me how that reconciles with the urge of the Foundation to seek controls on using Bitcoin. They're incompatible, and everyone should understand that. The fact that the Foundation doesn't, and some users don't -- is a rather appalling display of critical thinking failure.

I agree, I think this is more fact-finding for eventual prosecutions and scapegoating
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:09:38 PM

You can't make that statement unless your satoshi or you have proof that is what he was thinking.
xxjs

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 06:32:10 PM

Yeah, stop orders, confiscation of funds. It's going to be far worse, you haven't seen nothing yet.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:29:29 PM

You can't make that statement unless your satoshi or you have proof that is what he was thinking.

With all due respect, I think it is obvious given the decentralized and non-sovereign oriented features in Bitcoin itself. It is money without the state, period.

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:36:36 PM

And actually, as an addendum to all of my other points, I'm a little pissed at the Bitcoin Foundation anyway, because they just blew any lead we had on Bitcoin adoption by the "regular" people out there. Government will realize quickly that they need to poison public perception, and they're pretty damned handy in that area.

Look out for the coming campaigns (after they've exhausted the initial hands-off regulation honeymoon period) where Bitcoin is demonized for being the "currency of Edward Snowden and other traitors" - Thanks clueless bitcoin promoters!, the scrip of "hordes of terror organizations" and the last but never unused trope of "pedophiles and their evil deeds".

So thanks a bunch Bitcoin Foundation, for not only launching a nice bright magnesium "hey regulate us" flare into the sky, but getting the hulking government leviathan to slowly change course towards the small Bitcoin lifeboat bobbing in the financial sea.

They now know we're here, and it isn't going to be pretty.

mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:59:06 PM

And actually, as an addendum to all of my other points, I'm a little pissed at the Bitcoin Foundation anyway, because they just blew any lead we had on Bitcoin adoption by the "regular" people out there. Government will realize quickly that they need to poison public perception, and they're pretty damned handy in that area.

Look out for the coming campaigns (after they've exhausted the initial hands-off regulation honeymoon period) where Bitcoin is demonized for being the "currency of Edward Snowden and other traitors" - Thanks clueless bitcoin promoters!, the scrip of "hordes of terror organizations" and the last but never unused trope of "pedophiles and their evil deeds".

So thanks a bunch Bitcoin Foundation, for not only launching a nice bright magnesium "hey regulate us" flare into the sky, but getting the hulking government leviathan to slowly change course towards the small Bitcoin lifeboat bobbing in the financial sea.

They now know we're here, and it isn't going to be pretty.

Rocky days ahead for sure, but still hard to say how this will pan out.  Still, whether it bitcoin or something else, the cryptocurrency revolution is here and cannot be regulated away
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: