Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:14:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone explain why this post is worth 96 merits  (Read 467 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 10:43:17 PM

Well, I understand why people gave those Merits to him.. but they are wasted.
You should use Merit Points to help people to level up.

Thank you for posting that, and I gave you 2 points for stating the obvious. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new offgrid test wallet address - bc1q8nxxakyxesa4weme28rrdyyu3vqgxp36t3tmrz
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2018, 10:54:21 PM

I can certainly understand your frustration with this new system, and I suppose some people might say the post is worthy
of the Merits. However, if only a handful of posts ever receive recognition, a whole lot of people will be left "un-ranked" for
a very long time. Personally, I may not have the greatest posts, but I try my best to help within this "community", and may
be left behind with this new system. The kicker for me is, I have no interest in signature campaigns, and I'm here to learn/
help and my signature area is dedicated to our "community", but I will see very little Merit for my good deeds. For now, I
will come to terms with it, and still be happy when I've made a small difference helping others. A Thank You is all I need.

P.S. I really miss your cat! Always brought a smile to my grumpy old face.

Thanks - I gave you two merits, and the cat jumped on the mouse and gave you another. Smiley

I changed the avatar to a bounty chest because I think I'm going to change my approach a bit. The merit system has brought home to me that this board is now an employment exchange, with a bit of Bitcoin chat on the side. I think I'm going to become a bounty hunter here, as that seems to be the fun occupation. I had a bit of luck as well. I managed to pick up the domain name CryptoBounty.com, so I can use that as a backup and a reference site.

The first thing I must do though is to get over the idea that merit points are some sort of indication of post quality.

Hahaha! Thank you! It truly is great, that my first legitimate Merit, has come from you. I wish you the best of luck on your quest.
I don't know much about Bounties, but if you ever need a hand with anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
TheQuin

Activity: 2562
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 07:22:50 AM

I may have chosen a bad example because I didn't know the guy who first used HODL, but I did a quick scan of the merit list, and most of themseem to be foreign language threads or announcement and sig promo related.

You chose an excellent example. Without the merit system you probably never would have found out about the origin of hodl.

Well, I understand why people gave those Merits to him.. but they are wasted.
You should use Merit Points to help people to level up.

Thank you for posting that, and I gave you 2 points for stating the obvious. Smiley

I would have thought that a few days ago but now I'm convinced this is missing the point of the merit system. Most times I've read a good post the author seems to have already earned merit at a rate faster than 1 a day. The system isn't going to affect them ranking up at all. It's going to prevent spammers ranking up but that is only a small part of what the system is intended to do.

This is the post that enlightened me:

@DooMAD
If they're really not adding anything, then they shouldn't get merit. But it doesn't need to be mind-blowing, either. Someone suggested a feature where all umerited posts would be hidden (which I may do at some point) -- I think that it'd be good to look at it as asking what posts you would want in such a summary. So not just incredible posts which might've taken an hour or more to write (those should probably get 10+ merit), but also the questions, arguments, jokes, etc. which couldn't be removed from a thread without starting to lobotomize it.

It's all very new, of course, so maybe this strategy will not actually be the best, but it is what I had in mind when designing the system.

@TMAN, I have been adding sources, and I will continue.

The system is here to help us see through the endless spam and find the interesting stuff. Now I can scan through a thread and just stop to read the posts conveniently highlighted for my attention. I've started using the Recent merits page as a better alternative to the Show unread posts since last visit page. I've stumbled upon all sorts of interesting threads were previously drowned out by all the noise and I would have otherwise missed.

I know there's a lot of merit being wasted on bounty threads, abuse and the like but that's a short-term issue as the airdrop sMerit will soon run out and only people contributing to the forum will be earning more.

When I stopped thinking of it in terms of ranking up and started to think of it as a tool to help me navigate the forum I suddenly started getting something out of it.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 07:46:54 AM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

I thought the idea of the merit system was to encourage good posting, and to reward posters who help reshape Bitcoin Talk. What's the point of giving merit to 4 year old posts.

Exactly, there is no need to give merit to such older posts, i also support your point.

I see that Satoshi was last active on     December 13, 2010, 04:45:41 PM, but he has 736 merit points.

This can be considered as exceptional case, people must be thanking him for creating the bitcoins.

Maybe I'm being stupid, and really I should just go with the flow and pick up a few hundred dollars worth of Bitcoin by making general and lifestyle posts.

Also it is quite unfair to the users who were very close to become a legendary member but overnight everything changed and now they have to double their merits to rank up. I am not complaining, just highlighting the actual situation. I hope the new merit system will deliver the results and it will be helpful to keep this forum relevant and clean.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
rowel21

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:12:31 AM

We don't own every merits and o don't know what to  say and feel  about this new ranking system we called merits sometimes it get me angry because I feel I can't  even go further in   my rank but somebody tell me its a way to make   more responsible for evry post that I  will make where here to exchange thoughts so make sure that readers will gain something if they read our post

>        https://MFCHAIN.com        <
MERCHANT PAYMENTS + REWARD SYSTEM SMART CONTRACT PLATFORM

Code:
>        https://MFCHAIN.com        <
MERCHANT PAYMENTS + REWARD SYSTEM SMART CONTRACT PLATFORM
cmmhbct

Activity: 97
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 08:57:01 AM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

What a ridiculous story!

Those uses was likely send him bunch of sMerits (not Merits) as a way of trial how the merit system works, by which I mean how to send, receive, exchange sMerits, etc. However, this one is extremely weird way of trial. They can send only 1 sMerit to make a small test, instead of 20, 50 sMerits.

Actually, they all wasted their sMerits for the post. I hate to say this one is non-sense, off-topic, low-quality, etc. but it don't deserve to receive those sMerits at all.

Another explanation is those users simply threw their sMerits away for avoiding continuously ask from someone else about giving their sMerits away to other users in the forum.

To recap, that's how the merit system works, at least till now, with lost of flaws inside and really need to have in-depth adjustment, despite the fact that this system have made our forum better one week after its release. Really promising system!

prince05

Activity: 126
Merit: 21

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:28:56 AM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

I could not agree more with OP. Sending 50 merits at one time is just outrageous. Yes the topic could be an icon already to the cryptocurrency community but giving 50 merits is damn way more. It could have been spread to other posts which have the quality and the content we need here. There are a lot people who needs those merits more than the one who started the topic. This is one thing I see a potential problem with the merit system, merits are not distributed efficiently to where it is intended to be. Everyone are trying hard to post quality posts at the onset of the merit system but it seems that proper allocation and distribution of these merits are not fair enough. There should be somewhat a limit of the merits you can give a person. For example you are limited to 1 merit per post, so in such cases someone plans to game the system he needs to create 50 good posts to collect all 50 merits. Or any similar limitation of the giving of merits for it to be much fair with the others who are doing all their best to answer or create posts in order to be merited but was not merited.   

█▀▀▀ A DECENTRALIZED BLOCKCHAIN-BASED PLATFORM  ▀▀▀█
 █───  Telegram  │  Facebook  │  Twitter  │  ANN  │  Bounty  ───
▰ ▰ ▰  Tokenize the referral economy and spread rewards to all participants   ▰ ▰ ▰
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: