Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:37:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a deflationary currency really work?  (Read 366 times)
7jaka7

Activity: 628
Merit: 276

BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 10:40:03 AM

I think it can. But it won't only change prices but also our way of thinking.
People are saying that inflationary currencies are "saving" our world and make economy good. Tell me this: Do we need everything that our economy is giving us? I think our economy is "forcing" us to "need" things we don't really need. And the biggest problem is that this needs to keep going to keep our economy alive. This actually means that economy itself is giving us needs a.k.a. the strongest influencers are the one who are on the top of "pyramid" are. And if you think about it you can see where this is going. Collapse of the system or the earth. And only with first option human kind will survive.

Quite some people compare times when gold standard applied and then compare economies (that time and today). Is this really legit? Of course economies were totally different, we didn't have internet, transportation, knowledge etc. we have today. So comparing these two things is totally irrelevant in my opinion.

Then this question:
What are the incentives to spend your money if it always goes up in value?
I think incentives for spending are pretty clear in all systems - our needs. If you are hungry you will pay $100 for bite of food. If you are thirsty you will give 2 grams of gold to get a bottle of water. If you want to sleep in a warm dry place in the winter you will give 100 bitcoins for a house.
And then look at all these three examples, which of these will encourage you to spend even though you don't need that at the moment- meaning you will spend valuable resources for nothing. It's dollars. So don't tell me that's good. We are limited with resources, but some people have unlimited of FIAT money (those who are printing it) and this is definitely not good.

SECURE YOUR CRYPTO ASSETS | GET SOME FREE SATOSHI'S | TRADE ON BINANCE 
Disclaimer: All links are affiliate/refferal! Thank you for using them! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
virendarnagpal

Activity: 672
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 11:10:19 AM

Does this not stunt economic growth?
There are almost always inflationary economic conditions in the world.  Fiat currency loses it's purchasing power day by day.  With the passing of every day the purchasing power reducing.
But if the currency is always strengthening in it's value; then the opposite will be true.  Then the people will buy the commodity which is essentially required at that day and rest he will use in future.
But if it really happens with a currency; then it will have bad effect on economic growth.  Because the demand will come down due to increasing value of currency and people postponing their requirements to future.  They will just be buying the very much needed necessaries. Luxurious will always be avoided.  So production will come down. 
Economic growth will be worst affected.
F_Ivanov1993_

Activity: 108
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 12:01:52 PM

I need stability and security.  If for this you need to choose a currency that is able to give it, then I am for it.
prokerduit

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 12:37:51 PM

I will spend it on goods that don't go down the price too much, or I will spend it on altcoin or bitcoin. if I spend my money on altcoin or bitcoin then one day I will get a huge profit. thats my i mean
ulhaq

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 01:02:18 PM

And neither inflation. These two are will both have a negative effect on economic growth thus it should be balance.

I agree. Ideally there would be no inflation and no deflation, so that prices, and real purchasing power, are stable over time. There is a cost to both. If the currency becomes weaker, then everyone has to raise prices which means restaurants printing out new menus, all suppliers raising prices, purchasers have to account for the higher prices, not to mention people spending on frivolous purchases. If there is deflation, then everyone in the economy has to revise prices downward, people may not invest when there are companies worthy of capital.

How silly is it when you read a book or watch an old movie and a house 100 years ago may have cost $10,000, we have no idea what that means today. Is it a million dollar home? $150,000 home? When grandparents talk about prices back in the day, we have no idea what that means. If prices were stable over time, not only would there be a major reduction in costs, but also everyone would have an understanding of historical and current situation.
pobeditelvezde

Activity: 658
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 05:03:18 PM

I think theoretically it is possible but practically it is impossible. Of course, such a currency must not be fiat. I think the best idea is to make a currency which will be equivalent a quantum of power (for example, 1 KWh). I mean that everybody who has such a currency knows that it is possible to exchange currency on exact number of electricity i.e. if somebody has 1 KWh today in a special coin this coin will cost 1 KWh in the future respectively. Unfortunately I am sure that the current elites who have seized the real power do not permit an occurance non fiat money.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 05:31:48 PM

The incentive is that you eventually is going to die, so why hoard money your whole life? But before you die, you're get old and your quality of life will substantially decrease and you won't be able to enjoy spending your money, so you might as well spend them why you are still young/middle aged. Just ask someone if they want to have $1,000 now or $10,000 in 50 years.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
fredo123

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 07:02:43 PM

There will be much less possible cost-effective investment projects. The economy will shrink.
Deflation causes the prices of goods and services to drop, So the more the currency deflates the less the reward for the people producing goods and services. The demand will decrease and this will lead to an economic crises. People would stop spending money and start hoarding it. Why buy something now if it will be less expensive tomorrow? Unemployment would become rampant.
7jaka7

Activity: 628
Merit: 276

BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 09:18:55 AM

People would stop spending money and start hoarding it.
Every smart person today knows that you must do this if you want to be financially independent. Why wouldn't we make this default? In this case someone will really need to make something useful in order to get money from you.

Why buy something now if it will be less expensive tomorrow?
Because I need most essential things today... You are saying you would starve to death because it will be cheaper to eat tomorrow....

SECURE YOUR CRYPTO ASSETS | GET SOME FREE SATOSHI'S | TRADE ON BINANCE 
Disclaimer: All links are affiliate/refferal! Thank you for using them! Smiley
Bitfling

Activity: 602
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 11:52:25 AM

I am believe if bitcoin system applied on monetary system, economy will more strong than before. Currently, our economic system using growth based on money supply and thats why central banks always print paper money. Bitcoin is revolutionary monetary system and i am believe creating transparancy on our economy
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 12:31:02 PM

The incentive is that you eventually is going to die, so why hoard money your whole life? But before you die, you're get old and your quality of life will substantially decrease and you won't be able to enjoy spending your money, so you might as well spend them why you are still young/middle aged. Just ask someone if they want to have $1,000 now or $10,000 in 50 years.

I know plenty of people from the older generation who did as you state and have had an amazing life in their younger years, and they all regret not having done more to save up all that money for where they are right now in their life. It's next to impossible for them to actually do any paid work due to health issues and whatnot. Every penny they do have is worth a dollar for them with how they can only spend their money once.

I honestly rather have $10,000 in 50 years (discarding inflation and whatnot) than $1000 right now. I am in a position to make as much money as possible at my age, and I'm well aware of the fact that I'll be needing every penny way harder at a later point in life than right now. That's why I'm not recklessly spending my money left and right. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy life, but there is a conservative limit to everything. It's just a matter of common sense.
rickadone
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 04:45:30 PM

The purpose of bitcoin was not to create a deflationary currency tho. The "value" you put on it via dollar is what you made up on your mind and everyone collectively agrees to a price that is ok with them for bitcoin.

However, it wasn't suppose to be "5 dollars worth of bitcoin for a cup of coffee", it was suppose to be "x amount satoshi for coffee" without the fiat tied to it so we could just remove the fiat from our life and use bitcoin as a means to transaction. There was this matrix post probably everyone knows that neo says to morpheus "will I be able to sell my bitcoins for millions one day ?" and morpheus says "I am saying you won't have to". That was the logic. Making bitcoin a deflationary currency is our addition to it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: