Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:48:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CME BTC Futures and its implication in BTC price  (Read 160 times)
wyplashdea (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 3

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 03:48:01 PM

Hi everyone:

Some months ago the CME approved the futures on BTC. This is to me quite astonishing news, futures are nowadays mostly used for especulation.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/bitcoin_quotes_globex.html

At the beginning i was a little bit worry about people trying to dump the price, at this time it doesnt seem to be case (yet).

I would like to ask you why do you think CME decided to approve the BTC as underlying on futures, ¿What do you think has CME (US...) in mind?

Thanks.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lolehiM92

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 04:04:41 PM

We are very reminiscent of CME, since Bitcoin has consistently pushed Bitcoin prices to new heights. CME has set up a future trading platform for commodities such as coffee and many other branches
suindendoshi

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2018, 04:22:45 PM

Perhaps this will give an impetus to the movement of bitcoin up. Because I understand that the market needs it now. Perhaps this company (exchange) knows what it does, it's not just know it and use for a long time. I'll be watching this topic.

sunsilk

Activity: 2856
Merit: 620

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:48:59 AM

This has something to do with the price and today is the last day for the contract.

And what most of the speculations are after this we'll see a break out and bitcoin is going to be hitting soon again to the highest.

Bitcoin future is what driving the prices to be at low now but after today, we'll see if it's the real reason for this low price.

wyplashdea (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 12:05:03 PM

Thank you all for your answers.

What is true is that users dont need a BTC wallet to usea this futures contracts in CME (they say so in the FAQ section); knowing that its pretty clear that the only thin behind this operations its especulation.

In my opinion futures and not good for BTC, there was a time in witch futures were only possible with the real exchange of the underlying; for example:

1) Future of wood --> someone gives to somebody a quantity of wood at a certain price at a certain date

Nowadays:

2) Future of wood (without underlaying) --> someone gets the difference in price between the real price of the wood at a certain day and the price the counterparties agreed at a certain past time.

BTC Futures are type 2; not needing the real asset exchange (BTC) just making money of it, im dont like the idea of that.

Share your ideas Cheesy

LeGaulois
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 4065

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 05:15:28 PM

Hi everyone:

Some months ago the CME approved the futures on BTC. This is to me quite astonishing news, futures are nowadays mostly used for especulation.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/bitcoin_quotes_globex.html

At the beginning i was a little bit worry about people trying to dump the price, at this time it doesnt seem to be case (yet).

I would like to ask you why do you think CME decided to approve the BTC as underlying on futures, ¿What do you think has CME (US...) in mind?

Thanks.

Bitcoin started to crash the same day the CME approved Bitcoin Futures. Check out a graph, everything started from this point. And I am pretty sure the decline we are seeing these weeks are due to the contracts ending this week
Are the contracts good or bad, I don't know, but I think it makes people considering Bitcoin more as an investment rather than a currency (and its advantages)

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
..JAMBLER.io..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
wyplashdea (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 05:43:57 PM

I agree with you LeGaulois. People who are buying these futures are loosing all the technological advatages that BTC offers, bad thing to BTC. I dont like the idea of trading futures like this on BTC, i cant imagine now any good thing that this could bring to BTC.

LeGaulois
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 4065

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:33:04 PM

I agree with you LeGaulois. People who are buying these futures are loosing all the technological advatages that BTC offers, bad thing to BTC. I dont like the idea of trading futures like this on BTC, i cant imagine now any good thing that this could bring to BTC.

Last time I asked myself what would happen if Bitcoin had a fixed price from the beginning? Certainly not any speculation and only people interested in Bitcoin for what it can bring. Those who label Bitcoin as an investment are destroying Bitcoin. This is all that people hear in the media (and here too) "investment in bitcoin" "bitcoin crash", "Bitcoin trading" etc. People are only hearing and learning about Bitcoin (and cryptos) as a speculative asset

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
..JAMBLER.io..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
RamonBTC

Activity: 392
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 08:51:23 PM

The first time I heard this news about bitcoin futures I’m optimistic about it’s advantages, but the motives of this move is clear now. They wanted a more stable price that isn’t as volatile the day its surges high to the peak price.

I maybe wrong, but this features only make the bitcoin price to be in this phase.

I’m hoping for any recovering indication after this day and will conclude if this really affects the bitcoin market trend.
wyplashdea (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 11:45:47 AM

Good morning everyone!

Did you notice that BTC price raised up to 6K yesterday? If im not wrong, yesterday was the expiration time for futures...it seems as futures are making some kind of resistance point. Lets see what happens in the next days.

Dortira

Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 11:45:15 AM

I am always thinking positive about the news when I hear that bitcoin is being accepted or approved somewhere, we just need more of those news in order to make bitcoin stable again.
wyplashdea (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 11:51:52 AM

I see your point Dortira but im not sure if whatever kind of news is good news.
Markets enable people to establish friends and enemies and this relation could provoke situations that wont benefit the smallets groups of participants.

In my opinion, BTC its now in a moment where only trust/faith should be the main motivation to invest in it, maybe in long term
speculation wont be so bad...but now its too soon for it.

opg777

Activity: 170
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 12:19:44 PM

Many talk about futures for the BTC, and their impact on the course. Firstly, futures contracts for the BTC do not imply its direct purchase, that is, the capitalization does not grow, Secondly, the future contracts for the BTC can be both long and short, which allows them to shave us permanently, manipulating the market. Yes, the market is not being monetized by futures, but by some kind of USDT under these futures. This is important not to be confused.
aoihs00

Activity: 700
Merit: 300

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 12:36:24 PM

snip

Bitcoin started to crash the same day the CME approved Bitcoin Futures. Check out a graph, everything started from this point. And I am pretty sure the decline we are seeing these weeks are due to the contracts ending this week
Are the contracts good or bad, I don't know, but I think it makes people considering Bitcoin more as an investment rather than a currency (and its advantages)

Yup that could be valid reason for the drastic movements in the bitcoin these days. The contracts are the reason primarily for the fall. But have you guys noticed that after a weeks period of ending the contracts the prices suddenly pumped up. Now the question is whether there is another reason for that or the CME people invested another bag for holding later on, or something else getting cooked up here. Sometimes we cant answer or predict everything in the crypto space and I dont like that much secrecy even when we are in decentralised space. Lolz. Lets hope CME wont come back again if they were the reason for the drop.
wyplashdea (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 12:38:47 PM

Hi opg Smiley

CME BTC futures doesnt exchange underlying, its just the difference in price between reality and futures strike price, ¿Is this what you said true? (i just wanted to be sured)
They can be short / long...i see you point but having the tools to be a fair game doesnt mean neccesary that its a fair play. ¿Is it good to be exposed in futures contracts for BTC? Thats the question im not sure how to answer. I see BTC as a child, too inmature to be exposed in something like that, thats what i meant to say.

Thanks for answering and participate, always nice to chat with friendly people Smiley

rindo

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 12:21:33 PM

US securities trading rules (SEC) can not be adopted, as Bitcoin's CME futures trades are not increasing in any other semester, with 41% to negotiate.
The CME had a steady increase in BTC's turnover, the company's CEO said that, there is no stock market radar in crypto-coins.

The launch of the Bitcoin Futures negotiations at CME and CBOE, all of the Chicago stock exchanges, boosted the BTC's price to a maximum of $ 20,000. However, new institutional-oriented products also helped Bitcoin to become a new asset class and also a price at more sustainable levels, compared to the stock market that led us to make the last oscillations.

At the same time, the CFTC observed more inter-institutional interacting with Bitcoin, signaling a maturation within an ecosystem that was almost at the same time owned by retail investors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: