Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:32:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your favourite theory/paradox? (Preferably scientific).  (Read 216 times)
Parodium (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 332

DMs have been disabled. I am busy.

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:36:35 PM
Merited by Vod (2)

Bored, so let's share our favourite scientific theories, or even your favourite hoaxes, logical deductions or anything else along the same vein, even if they are completely ridiculous. Heck, even share your favourite TV show theories if the show is widely known.

I'll start.

The one electron universe is a theory whereby John Wheeler proposed that there exists only a single electron in the universe, that propagates itself through space-time in such a way as to appear in multiple places at once.

The One Electron Universe

Another interesting one is the curious case of potential retrocausality in the modified double slit experiment (the delayed choice quantum eraser). This experiment appears to demonstrate information travelling backwards through time to influence the initial conditions of the experiment.

The Delayed Choice Experiment

I'll finish off OP with another interesting one, the variable speed of light hypothesis posits that the speed of c, typically thought of as constant (in vacuum) throughout the universe, may actually be variable. Potentially having ramifications for interstellar travel and more.

VSOL - Variable Speed of Light

Bonus reading;

The Ship of Theseus
Bootstrapping information

For those still reading, a wizard once told me the bearer of captivating theories is paid in merit. Whatever that means.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:23:04 AM

No comments? Surely there's a few theorists, scientists or philosophers lurking about?
Intellectual Romanticist

Activity: 283
Merit: 23

TEU - bitcoin for shipping ICO: 15/Mar - 12/Apr

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 10:50:22 AM

Theory of Quantum Entanglement recently caught my attention.

Makes me think that it is the proof for ESP, Remote Viewing, Telekinesis and such.

Intellectual Romanticist
Intelligence Wisdom Courage Honor Integrity Consistency Strength Perseverance Romance
Abe Token | Ethereum Limited | Citereum | Bitcoin One | ExpressCoin
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:53:32 AM

I quite like the Banach Tarski Paradox. Basically states that spheres in euclidean spaces can be de-assembled into parts and then glued back together into two spheres, both of which have the same dimensions as the original sphere. In short, it's a proven theorem that duplicates spheres.
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:38:38 PM

I quite like the Banach Tarski Paradox. Basically states that spheres in euclidean spaces can be de-assembled into parts and then glued back together into two spheres, both of which have the same dimensions as the original sphere. In short, it's a proven theorem that duplicates spheres.

I remember seeing an episode of vSauce about this, very insightful.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 11:13:14 AM

Sorry, mine isn't scientific...

God is supposed to be all knowing - he controls the past present and future so he knows everything that will happen to you. 

He knows from the moment he creates you if you are going to do something bad with your free will and be sent to hell. 

Why create souls just to torture them for all eternity?    God is supposed to be loving...   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:50:39 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

God is supposed to be all knowing - he controls the past present and future so he knows everything that will happen to you. 

He knows from the moment he creates you if you are going to do something bad with your free will and be sent to hell. 

Why create souls just to torture them for all eternity?    God is supposed to be loving...   Undecided

Predestination Paradox
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:54:50 AM

Why create souls just to torture them for all eternity?   God is supposed to be loving...   Undecided

Imagine being God yourself.

What would knowing past, present and future as well as omnipresence mean?
From a logical perspective it would imply the complete absence of time, or changing moments.

So if I was God in the way that he's being described, I'd be quite interested in limiting my own being in order to actually fucking experience anything whatsoever, even if it meant temporarily suffering or being convinced of mortality. Kind of like we enjoy watching depressing or horrifying movies just to experience something that we haven't yet.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:58:05 AM

I remember seeing an episode of vSauce about this, very insightful.
I watched that episode too, well after having studied the paradox at university. He actually managed to visualize it quite well. Really enjoyed that one.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2018, 06:00:09 PM

From a logical perspective it would imply the complete absence of time, or changing moments.

A concept I cannot comprehend, since I am bound by time...

My point still stands though - this creature may have created multiple universes and destroyed them in his infinite lifespan, but what pleasure does he get creating souls to torture for all eternity?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!

OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 06:10:05 PM

A concept I cannot comprehend, since I am bound by time...

My point still stands though - this creature may have created multiple universes and destroyed them in his infinite lifespan, but what pleasure does he get creating souls to torture for all eternity?

From the same perspective I've mentioned earlier, all souls would be just a part of that omnipresent/omniscient God and merely appear as individuals. So God would be torturing himself for whatever reasons. This is partially why I don't like the concept of God, it just doesn't make sense from a limited human perspective as it always winds up circular and contradictory.

But when I think about what kind of reality I would create if I could do literally anything and was not bound by mortality, I could see myself going through all kinds of positive and negative experiences that I could possibly conceive of "just because the mountain is there". From a human perspective I would avoid the negative ones for as long as I don't get bored of everything else that I could do, but a God could just do everything at once while feeling like an arbitrary number of individual mortal and tortured beings before returning to his original state of no-change.

What's the difference between everything and nothing?
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:53:34 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2018, 08:26:53 AM by Parodium

Some more interesting theories, scientific goodness for the geeks;

Some of these are just random interesting topics, hopefully they'll be eye opening.

The electron that escapes the sealed chamber

Is it a particle? Is it a wave? Oh.... It's both.

The Tunguska event/Tesla's mishap

Genetic parallelism

Imagine losing half your visual field, with no damage to your eyes
stefek99

Activity: 233
Merit: 102

https://genesis.re

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 12:01:51 AM

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

More choice makes us unhappy.

Sometimes it's better to have simple life...

reee

Activity: 439
Merit: 252

Get Paid to Play your Media on Current

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 12:19:07 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

My favorite is the predestination paradox and my favorite take on this was on Robert Heinlein’s short story called “All you Zombies”. It was adapted into film and titled “Predestination”
(Sings I’m my own grandpa in the background)

▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██████████████████████
█▄▄   ▀███████████████████
████▄▄   ▀████████████████
███████▄▄   ▀█████████████
██████████    ▀██████████
███████▀▀        ▀███████
████▀▀              ▀████
█▀▀                    ▀█
..   █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
   █
   Just Press Play
Spotify
YouTube
Soundcloud

8Tracks
Radio
Podcast

█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
█  █
GET IN TOUCH
Telegram
ANN Thread
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 12:27:11 AM

My favorite is the predestination paradox and my favorite take on this was on Robert Heinlein’s short story called “All you Zombies”. It was adapted into film and titled “Predestination”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

Thank you for info!  Did not know this movie existed - gonna watch it now.  Smiley

BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:21:34 AM

The trailer says "You will love this film". Guess they really have a time machine. Tongue

Added it to the list.
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:28:47 AM

The trailer says "You will love this film". Guess they really have a time machine. Tongue

Added it to the list.

Predestination is a brilliant movie, one of my favourites actually. If you like Predestination, you'll also like Netflix's new series "Dark", it's a German language film but has been dubbed, or subbed. Either way, it's brilliant. The Man from Earth is also a good movie with a similar theme.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 08:30:52 AM

Added it to the list.

Predestination is a brilliant movie, one of my favourites actually. If you like Predestination, you'll also like Netflix's new series "Dark", it's a German language film but has been dubbed, or subbed. Either way, it's brilliant. The Man from Earth is also a good movie with a similar theme.
I'll go with the native dub, since translations usually lose a lot of nuance. Thankfully I speak German well enough to watch this one without translations. I've heard about the Man from Earth but still haven't watched it. Is the 2017 movie a sequel? And if so, is it worth watching as well?
Parodium (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:29:24 AM
Merited by BTCMILLIONAIRE (1)

Added it to the list.

I'll go with the native dub, since translations usually lose a lot of nuance. Thankfully I speak German well enough to watch this one without translations. I've heard about the Man from Earth but still haven't watched it. Is the 2017 movie a sequel? And if so, is it worth watching as well?

I've read about the sequel, but haven't got around to watch it yet. Honestly I prefer the German dub of Dark as sometimes the English voices sound too excessive. Dark starts off relatively slow, but by the end you'll be glad you watched it, it is beautifully written and masterfully shot. You might also like The Time Traveller's Wife, Interstellar, Pandorum and if you watch anime, then Noein. These are all related to time travel, parallel universes and the like, and all are great in their own way, particularly Interstellar and The Time Traveller's Wife.
djangocoin

Activity: 474
Merit: 285

Brave New World

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:13:47 PM
Merited by Parodium (1)

Am going to go with Moravec's paradox:

Moravec's paradox is the discovery by artificial intelligence and robotics researchers that, contrary to traditional assumptions, high-level reasoning requires very little computation, but low-level sensorimotor skills require enormous computational resources. The principle was articulated by Hans Moravec, Rodney Brooks, Marvin Minsky and others in the 1980s. As Moravec writes, "it is comparatively easy to make computers exhibit adult level performance on intelligence tests or playing checkers, and difficult or impossible to give them the skills of a one-year-old when it comes to perception and mobility."[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravec%27s_paradox

:]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: