Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:45:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fatal Error: HELP!! How to test my components?  (Read 192 times)
Tempest71 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:41:39 PM

Hello Everyone,

I hope you can offer some advice. I have been running 3 1050ti and a 1060 6gb on my gigabyte GA-H110-D3. With a Corsair 1000w power supply and things have been running smoothly. I got another Strix 1050 ti and went to install it. And Pop..something went wrong. I should have known better. But let me give you the run down. I had PCIE risers and went to plug it into the mother board but there weren’t any more pciEx slots. So I figured I could plug the riser into a PCI  slot. Wrong..should have researched on the net first. I went to turn on the system and it made a pop sound and shut down. The sound was no where near where near the PCI slot but was more to the left of the MB closer to the sys fan plug in.I immediately removed the gpu cards and tried to boot the system again but nothing. The power supply unit kicks on and the cpu fan starts but it immediately shuts down.

I am not very tech savy and hope I didn’t fry everything.

My question is “Did I fry my gpus?” “Did I fry my Motherboard?” or “Did I fry my power supply? “ Now my rig is shut down not earning anything.. any suggestions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 10:58:22 PM

PCI-E cards are NOT backwards compatible with PCI slots. By putting a PCI-E x1 connector in to a PCI slot you created a short and if you're lucky, you might have only damaged the motherboard. You will need to buy another motherboard or try them on another system to see if the other components are damaged.
giveen1

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:01:49 PM

This is what happens when computer illiterates show up.
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:11:30 PM

Thanks Giveen..Funny How people with absolutely nothing to contribute always chime in..
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:18:00 PM

PCI-E cards are NOT backwards compatible with PCI slots. By putting a PCI-E x1 connector in to a PCI slot you created a short and if you're lucky, you might have only damaged the motherboard. You will need to buy another motherboard or try them on another system to see if the other components are damaged.

Ordered a new Motherboard...will keep my fingers and toes crossed.
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:45:49 PM

Thanks Giveen..Funny How people with absolutely nothing to contribute always chime in..

While you do have a point there, implied in what giveen1 wrote is that mining requires a fair amount of technical expertise and computer savvy; if you possess neither of those then a far better use of your time and money would be to simply buy those coins you think will do well.

Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:51:24 PM

Yes, granted. But that is why it is called a help section correct. To ask questions, to find support. If you take the time to type a response at least have some substantive information to provide.
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 12:51:56 AM

This is what happens when computer illiterates show up.

This is what someone trying to act tough on the internet looks like.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 01:04:32 AM

While you do have a point there, implied in what giveen1 wrote is that mining requires a fair amount of technical expertise and computer savvy; if you possess neither of those then a far better use of your time and money would be to simply buy those coins you think will do well.

we can't stop people on learning, being a computer savvy is not an instant we know that but it takes a gut like the OP to be one savvy person, to advise not to pursue what he wants to do is I guess not helping.
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:45:50 AM

Hello Everyone,

I bought a new motherboard and went to set it up. Plugged in my power supply.. and nothing happened. The Corsair 1000w fan and cpu fan kick on for a fraction of a second and then stop. Nothing boots or loads.

My thoughts is that the previous fiasco has fried my power supply. Perhaps that's a good thing and it saved my original motherboard and gpus.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:57:22 AM

Did you also plug in the CPU 4/8 pin from the PSU to the motherboard? Most PSU's have short circuit protection. You can also test the PSU by shorting the power on and ground wires with a paaper clip and see if the fan turns on.

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:01:02 AM

Yes, granted. But that is why it is called a help section correct. To ask questions, to find support. If you take the time to type a response at least have some substantive information to provide.

yo dude its not our fault your incompetent, if you had brains in the first place you wouldn't have fried any hardware thus never bringing you here to ask questions because you were a bone head, here is some advise to ya. do research before doing something because if you don't and then you come onto a place like this you just make yourself look bad, your at the wrong place to try and get information handed to you on a silver platter without expecting someone to say something you don't like

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:06:58 AM

yo dude its not our fault your incompetent, if you had brains in the first place you wouldn't have fried any hardware thus never bringing you here to ask questions because you were a bone head, here is some advise to ya. do research before doing something because if you don't and then you come onto a place like this you just make yourself look bad, your at the wrong place to try and get information handed to you on a silver platter without expecting someone to say something you don't like

LOL...Oh sorry to inconvenience you. I made you click the link and read the post. Sorry to blame you..Oh my bad...I didn't...get a life. You just illustrate my point, if you have nothing to contribute please kindly STFU.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:08:19 AM

LOL...Oh sorry to inconvenience you. I made you click the link and read the post. Sorry to blame you..Oh my bad...I didn't...get a life. You just illustrate my point, if you have nothing to contribute please kindly STFU.

and you just illustrated my very point, your nothing more than a child with a poor attitude. why so don't you kindly GTFO of here

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:18:22 AM

and you just illustrated my very point, your nothing more than a child with a poor attitude. why so don't you kindly GTFO of here

Brah..brahh..brah..your point illustrates the point that I alluded to previously when it was pointed out to me that the point of the illustration was to emphasis the clarity that is presented in the point. LOL...again nothing to contribute..
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:34:16 AM

Vann,

Thank you for your helpful advice. I performed the paper clip test and the PSU fan does not stay on.
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:34:34 PM

UpDate: New power supply and new motherboard. Everything is up and running again. Moved the CPU and Ram. Tested all GPUS individually..Its all working as it should. The PSU must have popped a fuse because it did not work with the New MB. There may not be anything wrong with the old MB as well. I am going to send the PSU to the factory and have it tested and repaired. So overall it has been a good learning experience and if the MB is still good and the PSU is repaired I am more than half way to a second mining rig.

To Vann...thanks for the input and assistance.

To the Trolls...you can get bent.

Have a pleasant day.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:48:14 PM

When you freely admit to doing something incredibly stupid like that, you have to expect people to laugh at the situation and you for doing it. That is how the internet works.

Its like someone putting diesel in their car because the gas station is out of unleaded. Its one of those things so incredibly obvious that you would almost call it an impossible mistake.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Xylber

Activity: 611
Merit: 124

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 04:56:03 PM

3 1050ti and a 1060 6gb... that mistake cost him 2 months of mining (mother+PSU), of course he was angry.
RustySausage

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 05:06:39 PM

Some real douche bags in here,  Tempest71 hope you get everything up and running. Mining is a constant learning experience. Don't listen to the trolls. There are some good guys in here happy to help.

Best of luck my friend!
Tempest71 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 06:19:23 AM

Hello Guys,

Again, thank you for the relevant and useful response. I will need to be more patient and check things more carefully. But, in the end it all worked out..Corsair will repair the PSU and Gigabyte is going to replace the MB if it is not working. So all is good. One of the beauties of living in Asia where the components are made....

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: