Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:57:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using external GPU for mining?  (Read 1388 times)
GLDFY (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 09:04:10 AM

Hey all
I have a question about using a dock with external GPU connected with USB3.1 to laptop. Such devices started last year from Razer and now they are numerous. I wonder if anyone has actually used one (or two Roll Eyes) for mining. How is the experience? Any notable advantages or fails worth mentioning? Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

For mining on the GPU no matter what your computer. If you have an old laptop it will easily cope with this task. But it seems to me that the easiest and cheapest way to collect your equipment on your old PC. Such a computer will cost $ 50. You can even find for free.
eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 12:59:50 PM

Hey all
I have a question about using a dock with external GPU connected with USB3.1 to laptop. Such devices started last year from Razer and now they are numerous. I wonder if anyone has actually used one (or two Roll Eyes) for mining. How is the experience? Any notable advantages or fails worth mentioning? Thank you.

What's the specs of your laptop? For me, it's not wise to use any brand of laptop for mining even those expensive ones. It's not worth it to use laptop because you know on how mining consumes electricity and we know that laptops does have lower lifespan so instead of using an external GPU connecting to your laptop why not build your own rig with a desktop setup.
GLDFY (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:23:49 PM

What's the specs of your laptop? For me, it's not wise to use any brand of laptop for mining even those expensive ones. It's not worth it to use laptop because you know on how mining consumes electricity and we know that laptops does have lower lifespan so instead of using an external GPU connecting to your laptop why not build your own rig with a desktop setup.

I'm using Razer Blade (i7) and was thinking about buying the external GPU
eagleman

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:38:52 PM

Ahh I see it's a gaming laptop. If you want to destroy your laptop as soon as possible, use it for mining. But if you want to save that great piece for the rest of your lives, don't mine with it.

I will feel regret if I'm the owner of it and mistakenly attracted by some ads that use your gaming laptop for earning through mining. Don't waste that razer blade mate, build another rig for it, g4400 would be enough and 4gb ram and buy your own risers for it.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2509

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:52:20 PM

And perhaps try posting in the ALTCOIN area where this POS stuff belongs...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:53:19 PM

Remember winter is coming the heat from the GPU offset running cost for your house.  Grin
Blamsud

Activity: 503
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 01:59:07 PM

Ahh I see it's a gaming laptop. If you want to destroy your laptop as soon as possible, use it for mining. But if you want to save that great piece for the rest of your lives, don't mine with it.

I will feel regret if I'm the owner of it and mistakenly attracted by some ads that use your gaming laptop for earning through mining. Don't waste that razer blade mate, build another rig for it, g4400 would be enough and 4gb ram and buy your own risers for it.

How come that his laptop will be destroy by using external GPU connected on his gaming laptop? I don't the logic on it. He just use his laptop as control for mining and the one who will do the mining work was the external GPU. This base on what OP post describe. We are talking about here external GPU mining. And it is posible to use laptop as an alternative instead of desktop. Even a dual core cpu is good for GPU mining IMHO.
eagleman

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 03:05:28 AM

How come that his laptop will be destroy by using external GPU connected on his gaming laptop? I don't the logic on it. He just use his laptop as control for mining and the one who will do the mining work was the external GPU. This base on what OP post describe. We are talking about here external GPU mining. And it is posible to use laptop as an alternative instead of desktop. Even a dual core cpu is good for GPU mining IMHO.

Unless you know what's the difference of connecting a GPU to your laptop and a desktop that has GPU run for mining. Do you know what's the capacity of laptop's and even how branded it is and how powerful it's specs but if it used for something that it shouldn't be, you'll using it in a wrong way. But if you want to give it a shot, go for it but as for me I did warned you about this thing.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 04:23:50 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2017, 06:06:51 AM by toptek

one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeycomb-Case-Metal-Case-For-EXP-GDC-Beast-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock/112326572075?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=412749116572&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have thought about trying it to the point i Put one on my watch list on Ebay to keep me reminded ...but with a normal motherboard just to try it.

I would think it won't work to well on a laptop for mining but might be ok for gaming unless you have Access to some kind PCIe slot to plug the USB cable into the power part doesn't look like that much of a issue it's the USB from the Raiser card to a PCie slot inside the laptop, i don't think it will work to well over a USB to USB port for mining unless the laptop has a port for a external video card which some do but there not meant for mining but like some one else said don't let that stop you,but if you do it's at your own risk so be careful.!!!  

I can see it working with a open air mining rig with no room ... and a free PCIe slot or even with one of the Pcie extenders.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
GLDFY (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:23:28 AM

I wonder if anyone _actually_ is/was using the external GPU for mining?
Blamsud

Activity: 503
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:27:27 AM

Unless you know what's the difference of connecting a GPU to your laptop and a desktop that has GPU run for mining. Do you know what's the capacity of laptop's and even how branded it is and how powerful it's specs but if it used for something that it shouldn't be, you'll using it in a wrong way. But if you want to give it a shot, go for it but as for me I did warned you about this thing.

You will just use the CPU of the laptop to process the code and ETC, There is a separate power supply for GPU's, I already try it for a week and I didn't notice any issue on my laptop, I just bought new desktop for it with quad-core CPU because I need my laptop in my work. But I didn't suggest also to use laptop because it is portable use and as what you said, There are some laptops that can't handle this kind of work.
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 12:31:46 PM

I saw some mining with eGPU with MacBook. It's possible but never profitable considering the price of eGPU.
Only for some research or studying PoW system...

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
eagleman

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 07:13:00 PM

You will just use the CPU of the laptop to process the code and ETC, There is a separate power supply for GPU's, I already try it for a week and I didn't notice any issue on my laptop, I just bought new desktop for it with quad-core CPU because I need my laptop in my work. But I didn't suggest also to use laptop because it is portable use and as what you said, There are some laptops that can't handle this kind of work.

It's not really recommend to use your laptop for mining purposes, it may be sufficient in the first tries but in the end you'll just destroying that. Because it is new, the volatility of it is still strong but I would say that don't ever use it again or else you may want to buy another laptop. Even you have a branded laptop and it's spec is higher, still I don't want to tell you that it will be fine.
antonio88s

Activity: 423
Merit: 118

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 02:55:04 AM

Maybe you can use Rasberry Pi the price is cheap and the specification is good. I used the Rasberry Pi and connected my USB miner to that.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 06:34:23 PM

If you already own one or want to purchase one for uses in addition to mining, sure, why not?

But external GPU systems that would give you a reasonable hashrate are not priced competitively with traditional GPU-mining setups at this time. For a dedicated mining rig, there's not much point.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
tenebriscaelum

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 11, 2018, 01:49:41 PM

There will be tow problems in this setup the first one will be your laptop for you will open it 24/7 that is not optimal for such device and you will only shorten its lifespan or perhaps overheat it. The second problem is the bandwidth of the GPU using the GPU dock which limits its potential as the USB 3.1 or thunderbolt cannot keep up with the bandwidth of the GPU.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2018, 06:35:17 AM

There will be tow problems in this setup the first one will be your laptop for you will open it 24/7 that is not optimal for such device and you will only shorten its lifespan or perhaps overheat it. The second problem is the bandwidth of the GPU using the GPU dock which limits its potential as the USB 3.1 or thunderbolt cannot keep up with the bandwidth of the GPU.

Whether or not the laptop heats up enough to cause damages depends on the specific unit. A recent laptop should have no problem running the necessary software to mine with 1 graphics card without placing much strain on the CPU.

Bus speed is generally not an important factor for the purposes of mining. (Note the negligible change, if any, in mining performance when swapping between PCIe x16 v3.0 and PCIe x1 via risers.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:06:56 AM

the too risky to your laptop although using the GPU external, other parts on the laptop can overheat such Processor, Try to hold the keyboard certainly feels a bit hot and the fan rotation that feels heavy even the sound of the fan exit.usually, if laptop overheats will crash or restart itself can even become damaged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: