Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:26:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A little help to decide if you want to do a groupbuy or not...  (Read 68025 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2013, 07:36:46 PM

Since i highly underestimated the amount of work and potential stress of a groupbuy i decided i will create a post for everyone who goes with the thought of starting a groupbuy on its own. I will describe what you have to await so you see this more correctly.

Firstly, i started a groupbuy for avalon asic chips Generation 1. Our groupbuy bought 5.6 batches, totaling 4816BTC. We had exactly 300 members involved.

The first thing i thought is that it wont be much work. The biggest work will be the packaging of the chips. Highly wrong. In fact the packaging is something that can be done in a couple hours. Which is a tiny fraction, not even worth to mention. But a groupbuy will mean to you work of 2-6 hours each day, 7 days a week and for me now unbelievable 4 months long (didnt notice this till now). Very seldom only 1 hour a day. You have to stay in contact with your groupbuyers. Nothing is worse for the situation than a groupbuy organizer that doesnt get back to the members. You can await that very fast rumours appear and fears lead to a doom loop that goes in a direction no one wants. Im sure you saw such groupbuys already since there are groupbuys of all kinds on bitcointalk.

Saying that... support is the biggest part of work. Up to 100 pm's each day are common most of the time, if nothing happens for some days you might only get around 20 a day but its seldom. Luckily i can type machine so im fast writing. If you cant it might take you even more time.

You need to be able to maintain a correct dataset. In my case i used a calc sheet of open office. Calc can greatly lower your work amount with automatic formulas and so on. For example i let calc create automatically forum topic, status text and order tables in bbc-code. It would have been a hell of a lot more work otherwise without this help.
Keep sure this data is protected. Backups is something you need very much since you deal not with your own money, its others people money. Even when you dont make backups for your own, at this point you have to when you dont want to risk real trouble.

Before starting a groupbuy make a set of rules. Its easier for you when you can point to explainations this way and it makes the rules clear for both side. The same goes for the fee you take, shipping cost and so on.

You need to specify refund rules. This topic will appear for sure and you need to be prepared. And according to my experience it might happen that everything stops for a reason you cant change and everyone wants his bitcoins back. Its best you have a rule prepared for that case so that you dont sit on the costs and work you had.
If something goes wrong (miner arent worth much anymore because of difficulty rise, seller did something wrong) and you werent fully in contact then await to be the one that was the reason for the problems. My members didnt say that luckily and i constantly was in contact but there might be others outside of the groupbuy that dont bother if you did it. Be prepared to be the one that lured them into buying and planned everything to scam in order to earn money. They simply search a scapegoat because some people cant simply search the error in their decision. It probably cant be changed since you cant be everywhere in each forum thread. So better stay in touch to prevent the doom loop i mentioned above. You dont want get this developed in a shitstorm without real base.

Important point... dont underestimate the legal problems. If as private groupbuy or as a business, the rules are different but there are possible problems that can really make you trouble in real life. Keep sure you thought everything through. I wont go into detail though. In case you want to start a groupbuy and want to know what i mean ask me via pm.

If youre unlucky you have a seller that isnt communicating. That doesnt only bring you much stress because you are the connection between your members and the seller. You get all the possible anger so you can transfer it to the seller. And what do you do when the seller isnt reacting? You collect this in form of stress. In my case i then started to try every way of contact and had to put a lot of time in it. At the end i had to give up realizing there wont be an answer.
I only want to warn you that this can happen.

It might get even worse. What if all was a scam? When the seller took the money and ran? Im not a lawyer but you better didnt do this as a company but instead as a private person that only ordered with its friends a bigger thing. Otherwise you would be the one taking all the loss. But like i said, im not a lawyer, maybe im wrong.
You might even think of rules regarding the case of scam happening. Its always better you have something to point at in case something unawaited happens.

Shipping, like i said, is something that doesnt really cost much time. I didnt ship the actual chips but many shipments with sample chips. Its not much time involved compared to the real time. You might use electronic stamps to speed up the process or similar things.
While we are at shipping. If its special hardware you need to make sure you can provide correct shipment. In my case buying pakets, antistatic bags, antistatic workplace to not hurt the chips, bubble foil and more. Be prepared since most probably time isnt something you will have much when the products were delivered to you.
I had to search a import company to solve some potential problems. To make sure that it will run correctly i travelled to the company and signed a contract to make sure i dont risk the bitcoins of other people because otherwise it would have been my problem.
I only say this to tell that such unawaited things happen too.

Next thing is information collecting. In case you need more infos, for example email, billing address, refund yes or no and so on, you have to collect them to move on. I had to do this several times. If you need that info its not enough to make a post. The response will be very low. You need to create pm. You can send 20 pm with one pm. For example let calc create you ready made lines like "username", "username2", that you can copy into BCC(Blindcopy)-Field so that no other member see the other receivers in case you offered anonymity of some kind. Theres a 120 PM limit per hour at the moment. Only if you do this you can hope to get the needed info in the next days. But even then you will miss 25%. Those remaining infos can come in slowly in weeks or months for mostly good reasons. Sometimes you dont get it at all.
But you will have again much work with it. Especially when you need the info to move on and have to remind often.

My personal result of the groupbuy i did is... my wall to break to do something like that again is huge. The reward is not even close to the stress and work that has to be done. Its really a full time job like someone said before. Luckily i was able to stop my normal work for other reasons, so i found this time. It would have been not be possible for me to do this properly otherwise.
A good result is on the other hand that people learn to know you. After you did this they know if youre trustworthy. Since trust is everything in bitcoin + the Net this is something valuable for sure.

I hope i could help someone with my experiences who thinks about making a groupbuy. Wink

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
voxelot

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 07:54:12 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 08:29:56 PM by voxelot

As one who was considering starting a group buy I can say this has probably saved me exponential amounts of headaches.  

I was lucky enough to ask questions before starting anything and SebastianJu is very professional and helpful.  Most group buy starters are very open and will answer questions.  As stated above these guys have to respond to hundreds of PMs a day so it may take a few days, but I have always heard back.

Keep the community and the hard work shown from the Avalon buys in mind is what I have concluded.  I may still perhaps start a group buy if the community seems to back an idea.
DyslexicZombei

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:42:33 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 11:50:27 PM by DyslexicZombei

Thank you SebastianJu. I've thanked you before previously for your service (which I've never even used) and I'm thanking you again. I would add that SJ's Group Buy is a bit more ambitious then most GBs. Not every GB is going to have hundreds and hundreds of buyers to keep track of.

I would also like to add that most of the stress that took a toll on you and the other Avalon GBCs is *NOT* your fault that a formerly reputable forum member went AWOL on you guys for months. You guys went in thinking you were doing business with Dr. Jekyll and you ended up with Mr. Hyde.

Part of the risk of organizing a Group Buy is deciding *who* to organize a Group Buy FOR. This mfg? That mfg? A pool of mfgs? We all have to do our own homework & come to our own decisions with our time and our spending power. This decision could play a role into whether your GB even gets off the ground.

I, for one, will NEVER do business with BFL again or Avalon due to the words and actions of their primary stakeholders.

Also, for anyone reading this, I specialize in helping new Group Buy Coordinators succeed in completing their Group Buys. Like anyone else, I can't do much about mfg. delivery but at least I can help you succeed in ordering your equipment.
bizwoo

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 09:45:43 PM

After having experienced all this myself with only 18000 chips ordered, I second every single word of Sebastian on his post.

pixl8tr

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:30:47 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 10:55:17 PM by pixl8tr

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.  Some very valuable information for those who are thinking of doing this.   My hats off to you.   I think you also need to add , GB organizer must have patience of a Saint.  LOL I would tell most of the drama queens doom and gloomers to take your BTC back and  F**k off .  ;-)   Hahah Not a good trait to have for customer service.

who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; finger; bjobs; uptime; strip;. grab; mount; yes; umount; sleep; brun;
Donations: 18ByQvDUmaMKkQbYvUWmnPSu9BWeNxVMoc
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:37:27 PM

This is why I backed out. I decided to partner up with some gentlemen that can better handle certain aspects of the buys (admin etc) and concentrate on the hosting side- so I can concentrate at what I am good at and what others are good at, in exchange for a smaller share of the "profit" so to speak. To be honest the whole bitcoin deal is a rush for me so I am excited just to be a part of it.
ssinc

Hash for Cash!

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:52:36 PM

The wait time on my group buys are usually less than a week and it's insanely stressful making sure everyone is informed... I couldn't even imagine handling a single group buy that lasted 4 months! Sad

voxelot

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:29:14 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2013, 11:40:22 PM by voxelot

The wait time on my group buys are usually less than a week and it's insanely stressful making sure everyone is informed... I couldn't even imagine handling a single group buy that lasted 4 months! Sad

Sebastian really does offer up an epic case of group buy.  Perhaps his stress can be shown as the optimal case of a hard working GBC.. (and to be fair other big GBs for avalon like Zefeir did awesome too from my understanding... these guys know a thing or two more than me), but realistically we may never see that high of stress again.. or at least hopefully, not for awhile.  Grin
DyslexicZombei

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:43:20 PM

Sebastian really does offer up an epic case of group buy.  Perhaps his stress can be shown as the optimal case of a hard working GBC.. but realistically we may never see that high of stress again.. or at least hopefully not for awhile.  Grin

I think a Group Buy of SJ's size and duration should only be taken on by the most ambitious GBC, preferably with a core group of 2 or more people. I don't think a GB of your size/complexity should be undertaken lightly by anyone.

Seeing the size of those chip Group Buys, for comparison's sake it took 14 other buyers & shares purchased by myself to purchase 40 shares for a HF BabyJet in my recent GB, and it still took a lot of work behind the scenes to keep running smoothly. I'd say any new GBC should learn to walk before they run & *focus* on just one Group Buy of limited size/complexity/duration. There's a lot to be said about not fighting two or three front wars.

Be prepared to deal with distrust and a lot of time spent educating others and answering questions. Also, look at yourself honestly and ask how well you deal with customer service and teaching others.

- How will you handle concerns about BTC handling and for miner rigs: miner payouts later on ?
- Hosting details? Everyone kosher about where the hardware is going?
- How will you deal with refunds? Do you have funds set aside for this?
- Will you have co-admins in case you get hurt/incapacitated or if there's concerns about fraud?
- Are you willing to risk your time, your job and your freedom to give Group Buyers the world's best prices?

voxelot

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 11:55:11 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 04:32:41 AM by voxelot

Sebastian really does offer up an epic case of group buy.  Perhaps his stress can be shown as the optimal case of a hard working GBC.. but realistically we may never see that high of stress again.. or at least hopefully not for awhile.  Grin

I think a Group Buy of SJ's size and duration should only be taken on by the most ambitious GBC, preferably with a core group of 2 or more people. I don't think a GB of your size/complexity should be undertaken lightly by anyone.

Seeing the size of those chip Group Buys, for comparison's sake it took 14 other buyers & shares purchased by myself to purchase 40 shares for a HF BabyJet in my recent GB, and it still took a lot of work behind the scenes to keep running smoothly. I'd say any new GBC should learn to walk before they run & *focus* on just one Group Buy of limited size/complexity/duration. There's a lot to be said about not fighting two or three front wars.

Be prepared to deal with distrust and a lot of time spent educating others and answering questions. Also, look at yourself honestly and ask how well you deal with customer service and teaching others.

- How will you handle concerns about BTC handling and for miner rigs: miner payouts later on ?
- Hosting details? Everyone kosher about where the hardware is going?
- How will you deal with refunds? Do you have funds set aside for this?
- Will you have co-admins in case you get hurt/incapacitated or if there's concerns about fraud?
- Are you willing to risk your time, your job and your freedom to give Group Buyers the world's best prices?

Sebastian shows that it is possible for one person to manage 300+ people,

And you have to factor in all of the complications that the original company offered for all of those really coordinated people like SBJ.  They were able to take a largely fractured buy (things only got more complicated when people started freaking out about ROI and sold off GB purchases to others.. this was good actually since I got a few chips this way as a developer), and were able to reasonably talk to all of their friends that bought with them through the whole struggle to the final resolution of refund or no refund.  

I just don't think those terrible courses of events shall play out for awhile in the BTC community.  Or I'm just hopeful.

Either way these group buy leaders for Avalon show'd greater face than the company they were buying from.  Perhaps these Avalon GB coordinators could give customer service advice to some non-bitcoin related companies I can think of  Grin
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:00:30 AM

reserved
eve

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:46:31 AM

Many used their meager savings in lieu of food, clothing and rents to pay for the group buys and after 4 months, we were told that chips will not deliver but getting a refund. Zefir was considerate and we wish more people like him who gave refunds immediately to those less fortunate to alleviate their suffering.

In the first place who started the group buy and who wants to make money from the group buy?? Don't blame those on your group buy blamed them on Yifu if you will.

Everyone in the group buy should get a full refund, those who are rich and wealthy can always donate to their favorite group buy mods.

5.6 batches is 5.6 x 10,000 chip = 56,000 x .079 btc each = 4256 btc x 10% = 425btc profit x $145 = $61k very good.  Were you Greedy. ? with the 61k you could buy 10 Jupiter for FREE,.
DyslexicZombei

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:48:28 AM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 11:43:04 PM by DyslexicZombei

Oh eve, I appreciate the warnings you incessantly give these forums but I've actually worked closely with and talked with these Group Buy Coordinators you accuse of being evil and greedy.

Evil and greedy seems to be the furthest description of the 2 GBCs I've vetted & the new GBC I'm currently vetting. I've also gotten *good* free advice from CanaryInTheMine, waldohoover, and CoinHoarder. You couldn't be any further from the truth. You have no idea about the sacrifices of time/money/stress these GBCs must go thru behind the scenes to give Group Buyers the world's best prices. You have no idea how much work it takes behind the scenes to succeed in a Group Buy, whether you're a newbie or a veteran.

BTW, newsflash: this isn't communism where everyone gets paid the same for no effort or groundbreaking efforts. How much profit do you propose a Group Buy Coordinator should make to stay in business and prepare for the future? Should we create a committee to figure this out?

Until you've walked a mile in their mocassins, your argument holds no water.

P.S. You can't shoot the messenger in this case about being greedy or evil; if you care to dig in my posting history on Reddit, here, and even the Surfermag BB up to 8 years ago, I've been helping folks out in forum after forum for free for as long back as you care to dig (8 years worth, if you want). And if you look at the transactions in my GB, I haven't made a single red satoshi in profits from my fellow co-op members, and I set it up this way on purpose because I just wanted access to the best tech at the best values at the ultra lowest costs. That's pretty much it. I also set up my co-op as a democracy too, as I'm no tyrant.

This is me trying to give complete strangers my good paying job in paradise (at a National Lab, no less) 5 years ago; I can't make this shizz up: http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Number=1369010
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 08:00:20 AM

Well said SebastianJu.

I know in my case, with my 3% fee on seven Avalons, it is not worth the time and trouble it takes to run my group buy. For instance, I made about 9 BTC for 3-4 months of work at an hour+ each day... sometimes 8+ hours in a day. Of course, Avalon really screwed me/us over, but still.. you need to plan for delays in your hosting price structure.

Yes, it takes about a hour a day (sometimes more) to keep 100+ people updated, answer questions, update investor account information, and all issues involved with the hosting of the equipment.. it is a lot of work. If it is a hosted group buy you also have to think about share transfers, consider using an exchange to save you the headache... I do it by hand in Excel the old school way.  Sad

Really consider charging a lot more than 3% which seems to be the standard norm in group buy hostings. I'd suggest 8%-10% to make it worth your while. If no one wants to participate for that high of a percentage, then don't run the group buy and save yourself the trouble.

In case I didn't learn my lesson, I am doing another group buy now (which is closed). I am just asking for it... working for pennies is not very fun. I like to think I'm providing a good service to the community (which makes it all worth it in the end.) If it wasn't me doing the group buy, it could be some scammer, so I would prefer I do it and everyone not get scammed.  Grin
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:18:35 PM

Unfortunately for me, my Avalon group buy stopped short of about less than 60 BTC. Had to refund everyone. I got into a private group buy and that is much better handled considering a lot less members. But we're still going for a refund now instead of waiting for the chips.

The good news is, for me, I avoided all the potential stress and head aches and heart aches and all the aches and pains.

DyslexicZombei

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:56:53 PM

Many used their meager savings in lieu of food, clothing and rents to pay for the group buys and after 4 months...

PSA: Since it seems common sense isn't always common, perhaps *All* Group Buy Coordinators should add this disclaimer in their terms (or something to this effect):

** By agreeing to participate in this Group Buy, you agree to NOT use your money that was primarily meant for: food, clothing, rent/mortgage, short term emergency funds, car payments, insurance, 401(k), IRAs, or children's college funds. These are considered HIGH RISK purchases of hardware, with funds tied up for weeks, and are NOT meant for those trying to "get rich quick." **
anykeywhy

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:16:50 PM

THANKS A LOT for writing and sharing that Sebastian!!! Smiley Really a good and impressive work, well done!!! Wink

Kind Regards!
-anykeywhy-
anykeywhy

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:09:58 PM

Many used their meager savings in lieu of food, clothing and rents to pay for the group buys and after 4 months...

PSA: Since it seems common sense isn't always common, perhaps *All* Group Buy Coordinators should add this disclaimer in their terms (or something to this effect):

** By agreeing to participate in this Group Buy, you agree to NOT use your money that was primarily meant for: food, clothing, rent/mortgage, short term emergency funds, car payments, insurance, 401(k), IRAs, or children's college funds. These are considered HIGH RISK purchases of hardware, with funds tied up for weeks, and are NOT meant for those trying to "get rich quick." **

MY BIG KUDOS!!!

ctrl-c'ed + ctrl-v'ed THX! Wink
&cheers!!
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:02:39 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 06:32:32 PM by SebastianJu

Thanks for the laugh. But yes, it looks like that is something needed in red. Even though i wonder someone whose money nearly was completely lost, now got nearly all back and then needs the small rest now so badly because the childs dont have a meal anymore. Doesnt match. And i could wonder why eve is protesting when he dont even is a member in my groupbuy. By speaking about that... im really glad that everyone in the groupbuy was ok with me keeping a bit for my work and the cost that were created.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
soniq

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:47:55 PM

Good post  SebastianJu

I agree 100% with everything you mentioned.....

My  learning experience has been priceless however, would not  trade it  for the world.

I would personally like to thank all the contributions in my GB's(financial, guidance), and the friends and experience I have acquired along the way

Cheers

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: