Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:17:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchanges drying up, effect?  (Read 2658 times)
Le Happy Merchant (OP)

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:08:55 PM

All of the exchanges on Bitcoinity that are listed under USD together have fewer Bitcoins for sale than 60k. In recent memory I know that I have seen more than twice that for sale on Gox alone.

With exchanges closing and fewer and fewer coins available on the market I believe there will soon be a preposterous spike in the exchange rate for BTC as the market reacts to the lack of supply.

The market depth on Gox:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:11:43 PM

Effect: Price goes up and more people want to sell at the higher price.

Look at the chart at the bottom of this page: http://blockchained.com/
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:16:33 PM

Looks like bitcoins are scarce. :-) It will harder and harder to buy single ONE.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:17:44 PM

Exchanges aren't the entire market. I've moved to doing in-person exchanges while Gox USD withdrawals have been on hiatus. Gives me a chance to meet people, too.

I think there are a good few others in the same boat, though I'm sure it's nothing like the total volume Gox used to have. Never heard of "price discovery" in one-on-one BTC transactions, though. There always seems to be an infinite supply and demand at the exchange rate (though probably not Gox, anymore). Given that, an increase of price on btc-e or BitStamp probably has the same effect movement on Gox had when its pricing was used.
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
September 01, 2013, 10:59:47 PM

I think current price already reflects the low supply of coins.

For me the current historical low supply of coins confirms price is already historically high.

Sure it can get worse, but chances are higher it will get better.
phoenix1

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:23:18 AM

For me the current historical low supply of coins confirms price is already historically high.

Chances are that the greed of the few will result in a bad name for Bitcoin IMO ... this rally is purely 'tape painting' by the wealthy designed to sheer a few more sheep
Show me a real BTC economy and I might change my mind
Until then I see FUD eveywhere
Crash incoming ... from what level I do not know, but it's coming, and it is being driven by the big holders of BTC looking after their own interests, not those of BTC. Same shit, different bucket.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"  - Confucius (China 551BC-479 BC)
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4443

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:16:36 AM

Someone has been stocking up on bitcoins with no indication of selling them. Add to that the fact that there are probably a lot more hoarders than speculators and the shortages on the exchanges aren't surprising. As Bitcoin infrastructure improves and adoption increases, demand will further increase.

If these coins have left circulation for a while, the price shouldn't fall in a hurry. Is it another Winklevoss-style buy-and-stash? An infrastructure business that needs an inventory?

Or is it someone who will pump coins into the next bubble to cash in when it pops?
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 09:55:51 AM

Chances are that the greed of the few will result in a bad name for Bitcoin IMO ... this rally is purely 'tape painting' by the wealthy designed to sheer a few more sheep
Show me a real BTC economy and I might change my mind
Until then I see FUD eveywhere
Crash incoming ... from what level I do not know, but it's coming, and it is being driven by the big holders of BTC looking after their own interests, not those of BTC. Same shit, different bucket.
It's rational self interest. It makes you alive and it makes people around you safe. Try it.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:25:18 AM

The price won't continue to rise if nobody is selling, it's idiocy to assume this.

What will happen is people will stop buying.

There's only one thing that follows this and it's not 'to the moon' or 'trending to infinity' as I've read on these forums from some people - it will crash and crash hard.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:27:10 AM

The price won't continue to rise if nobody is selling, it's idiocy to assume this.

There's only one thing that follows this and it's not 'to the moon' or 'trending to infinity' as I've read on these forums from some people - it will crash and crash hard.

Quoted to be revisited later.

Perhaps you would like to clarify some figures and time frames you see it "crashing" to?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 10:35:58 AM

Oh yeah? See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=286274.0
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:12:18 AM

Someone has been stocking up on bitcoins with no indication of selling them. Add to that the fact that there are probably ....

I stopped reading right there.
samson
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:33:16 AM

Perhaps you would like to clarify some figures and time frames you see it "crashing" to?

I have no idea but it's clearly unsustainable in the long run.

Apart from a few 'whale buys' there's not much action / volume lately. The price rising on low volume is not a good indicator for continued rises.

Look at the volume on this chart over the time period of the recent price rises compared to the previous rise into the ~$146 range

The recent volume is tiny compared to the last time the price rose to this range. The last time this happened on pretty high volume and it still crashed hard.

This time it happened on low volume which suggests to me that there's not much confidence in the market.

The recent rises happened due to a few isolated 'whale buys'.

There will be blood !
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 12:20:07 PM

There is a storm coming.. at least on Bitstamp.

Due to the lack of historical depth data, I'm unable to provide greater detail, but I watched Bitstamps bid/ask sum over the last days and it is on a decline and went constantly from roughly $ 125 to $ 104.

Means: less bids, more asks.

The price on Bitstamp follows Gox and seems to be stable at the moment, but selling pressure is rising, while the divergence on Gox between bids and asks increases. This underlines the assumption that people are getting out of Gox, but only to sell on other exchanges. At last to some degree.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:54:21 PM

I have no idea but it's clearly unsustainable in the long run.

Apart from a few 'whale buys' there's not much action / volume lately. The price rising on low volume is not a good indicator for continued rises.

Look at the volume on this chart over the time period of the recent price rises compared to the previous rise into the ~$146 range

The recent volume is tiny compared to the last time the price rose to this range. The last time this happened on pretty high volume and it still crashed hard.

This time it happened on low volume which suggests to me that there's not much confidence in the market.

The recent rises happened due to a few isolated 'whale buys'.

There will be blood !

You ever consider that it isn't a few whales moving the price but rather the MARKET of buyers outweighing the sellers?

The rise from $9 to $15 and beyond was on low volume until we went parabolic.

Don't underestimate how small the Bitcoin market is and how many potential buyers exist that want in on the market with their stashes of fiat.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:38:41 PM

Due to the lack of historical depth data, I'm unable to provide greater detail, but I watched Bitstamps bid/ask sum over the last days and it is on a decline and went constantly from roughly $ 125 to $ 104.

The price on Bitstamp follows Gox and seems to be stable at the moment, but selling pressure is rising, while the divergence on Gox between bids and asks increases. This underlines the assumption that people are getting out of Gox, but only to sell on other exchanges. At last to some degree.

We're looking at the same data I guess, but I see it differently. Bid/ask ratio, normalized wrt curent price (something that the wonderful coinorama.net does automatically), the ratio steadily went up throughout August, from 0.5 to a peak of a bit above 1 on August 31st, then declining back to an 0.8-ish value that was the peak value a few days before, higher than almost all of previous August. Then it stabilized, slowly gaining (at around 0.83 now).

How is that a brewing storm, exactly?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
samson
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:43:02 PM

We're looking at the same data I guess, but I see it differently. Bid/ask ratio, normalized wrt curent price (something that the wonderful coinorama.net does automatically), the ratio steadily went up throughout August, from 0.5 to a peak of a bit above 1 on August 31st, then declining back to an 0.8-ish value that was the peak value a few days before, higher than almost all of previous August. Then it stabilized, slowly gaining (at around 0.83 now).

The calm before the storm ?
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:46:37 PM

The calm before the storm ?

Fine. But if so, then August 8, 16 and 23 were calms before the storm as well. Pretty mellow storm, I must say :D

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:55:19 PM

Storm can propel the price to go up.

I view a storm as VOLATILITY.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 02:02:30 PM

I love how no-one is predicting a more banal outcome. The dynamics are in a balanced, resting state at some combination of pertinent variables, and yet everyone's either saying "CRASH!!!!1" or "SPIKE!!!!!!?". How about a damp squib? September ends at ~$130? I wonder....

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: