Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:34:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long will it take to reach 1 billion difficulty?  (Read 2299 times)
Crindon (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 12:30:39 AM

How long will it take to reach 1 billion difficulty? What are your thoughts on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 01:57:38 AM

I am thinking around January 2014.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auya3iRE6az1dDc0UVgwMU52YVpTazVjSHByOGNiWHc#gid=8
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:02:33 AM

Personally I would be ecstatic if it took until January of 2014 for the difficulty to hit 1 billion. At the current daily network growth rate, and considering how that has actually been continuing to increase as of late, I'll actually be surprised if it doesn't hit a billion by the beginning of December of this year. But honestly, who really knows?!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:16:51 AM

It is just a transition.
The reality is that as it rises exponentially, it also becomes exponentially difficult to increase it.
What we are seeing is the transition from Bi-planes to jets.

Once we hit 26nm en mass it will slow down, the reality is that this could be the start of the end for bitcoin, specifically because the distribution is being centralized into a small number of pools.
It matters not what the overall distribution of miners is, but rather the pool distribution.

It would only take a 'bent' or a 'couple of bent' pool operators to leverage a 51% attack.

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
JimiQ84

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:20:16 AM

It is just a transition.
The reality is that as it rises exponentially, it also becomes exponentially difficult to increase it.

Once we hit 26nm en mass it will slow down, the reality is that this could be the start of the end for bitcoin, specifically because the distribution is being centralized into a small number of pools.
It matters not what the overall distribution of miners is, but rather the pool distribution.

It would only take a 'bent' or a 'couple of bent' pool operators to leverage a 51% attack.

To do what? Destroy their business by destroying bitcoin? What would that achieve?
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:21:39 PM

How long will it take to reach 1 billion difficulty? What are your thoughts on this?
If all of the current companies can ship on time I would predict 1 billion difficulty by Nov 15th.  As more and more default though, that date keeps getting pushed back.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 11:22:02 PM

I am predicting March of 2014.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 07:41:20 AM

This -  You guys really believe in X^2 to happen month after month after month?  Someone needs to show some mathematics to substantiate the GH required to make it 1B by next January.

If Cointerra, Hashfash, Terrahash, and Bitfury all happen together around early Dec, then Yes its possible.  (Anyone who regards BFL or Avalon as a threat needs to realize that those are now the larger chipsizes)  BFL is simply doing a dead cat bounce and clawing for their life to keep money coming in ala Monarch announcement.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 12:34:03 PM

Once we hit 26nm en mass it will slow down,

Attn Viceroy:  Inaba sockpuppet alert.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
bcp19

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

This -  You guys really believe in X^2 to happen month after month after month?  Someone needs to show some mathematics to substantiate the GH required to make it 1B by next January.

If Cointerra, Hashfash, Terrahash, and Bitfury all happen together around early Dec, then Yes its possible.  (Anyone who regards BFL or Avalon as a threat needs to realize that those are now the larger chipsizes)  BFL is simply doing a dead cat bounce and clawing for their life to keep money coming in ala Monarch announcement.
X^2 is obviously impossible, X currently = 65M difficulty.  X^2 = 4.225 Quadrillion.

justanickname

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:24:12 PM

X^2 is obviously impossible, X currently = 65M difficulty.  X^2 = 4.225 Quadrillion.

he meant x*2
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:32:44 PM

This -  You guys really believe in X^2 to happen month after month after month?  Someone needs to show some mathematics to substantiate the GH required to make it 1B by next January.

Difficulty doesn't have to increase exponentially forever to reach 1 billion by early 2014.  I would estimate that >6 PH/s has already been sold.  The various companies may be delayed a month or two but even so that would put us near 1 billion difficulty in early January.  The fact that "BFL sucks" is pretty much irrelevant.  They have 3 PH/s worth of chips, those chips will be deployed.  There is no reason not to.  They are a sunk cost at this point.  The people who bought rigs may end up negative ROI% but BFL has no reason to not delivery them.  Even if their anemic rollout doesn't improve they should complete shipping of 65nm pre-orders by January.  It is highly likely that even if the long term growth rate slows we could see a couple of very high difficult gains (>100% in 2 week period) if the various companies happen to ship in volume over the same period of time.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=283820

DaFool

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:43:54 PM

Let me show you a pretty nice calculator where you can try for yourself:

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php

The really slick thing in comparison to other calcs is that you can set the initial difficulty increase for the first jump and how much the percentual growth of difficulty will lower each jump. (Since it is likely to go down as difficulty reaches bigger numbers.

Lets say the difficulty jumps by 30% this time and the percentual growth goes back by 3% for each jump. (Meaning from the first to second jump it would increase by 27%.):
http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=65750060.149085&dcosts=500&diff_mincrease=30&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=860&diff_mincreasedecrease=3&btcusd=132.51&dpowcon=30&btcusd_mincrease=1&pcost=0.25&calcweeks=32&dleadtime=0&action=calc

It would reach 1 billion by the sixth of february 2014 then.

Generally I would say that the difficulty is skyrocketing at the moment and its very hard to tell whats gonna happen to it, but I go with 1 Billion by 2014/02/06  Smiley

http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php - check it out! ✓ next difficulty + time left ✓ customizable monthly (diff + USD/BTC) increasements ✓ device lead time ✓ update: auto-compares device costs to BTC-buy profit ♥ 1btciBCKb59TbzNj5QzC2EXWDARxtJL1f
BTC: 19jQ4w1iNNGzc4qfHtrTfJZjMeqntBAXmg
bcp19

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 11:52:12 PM

The really slick thing in comparison to other calcs is that you can set the initial difficulty increase for the first jump and how much the percentual growth of difficulty will lower each jump. (Since it is likely to go down as difficulty reaches bigger numbers.

Lets say the difficulty jumps by 30% this time and the percentual growth goes back by 3% for each jump. (Meaning from the first to second jump it would increase by 27%.):
http://btcinvest.net/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=65750060.149085&dcosts=500&diff_mincrease=30&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=860&diff_mincreasedecrease=3&btcusd=132.51&dpowcon=30&btcusd_mincrease=1&pcost=0.25&calcweeks=32&dleadtime=0&action=calc

Generally I would say that the difficulty is skyrocketing at the moment and its very hard to tell whats gonna happen to it, but I go with 1 Billion by 2014/02/06  Smiley

Nice calculator, a lot better put together than the x% jump forever the crowd now uses.  I think it need a little tweek though, I think the next 3-5 increases with be larger than the last and then start tapering off fairly quickly.  if possible add a % increase and # month increase to the calc.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 03:11:31 AM

Nice calculator, a lot better put together than the x% jump forever the crowd now uses.  I think it need a little tweek though, I think the next 3-5 increases with be larger than the last and then start tapering off fairly quickly.  if possible add a % increase and # month increase to the calc.
The flip side is that people now have to pull 2 or more numbers out of their asses to plug into the calculator in order to make a prediction. The model may conceptually be more accurate but requires a higher level of sophistication to operate correctly.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:37:57 AM

It is just a transition.

To do what? Destroy their business by destroying bitcoin? What would that achieve?

JimiQ84 raises an interesting point that I have recently been discussing with some of my other bitcoin friends. I think JimiQ84's concern is a valid one, but perhaps not so much because of bent pool operators. My fear is that with these huge concentrated centers of power...they will be all that much easier for the 'authority' to take out in one single well-coordinated swoop.

So, all you members out there with more history than I (most of you I suspect):
"Yeah, the network is that much more secure...but do you guys feel this tendancy towards mega-mining POP's could potentially threaten BTC in the long run?"

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:43:32 AM

If it happens, those pools will quickly lose all their miners. It would be suicide.
bcp19

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 11:10:13 AM

The flip side is that people now have to pull 2 or more numbers out of their asses to plug into the calculator in order to make a prediction. The model may conceptually be more accurate but requires a higher level of sophistication to operate correctly.
I'd rather have to pull a couple of numbers out of thin air than see a program tell me that there will be $150billion worth of mining equipment on the network in a years time.  Anyone who reads these forums can see we've got a lot of pre-ordered ASICs primed to unload onto the network between now and Dec 1.  Over the last few increases we've seen 19%, then 36% then 29% then 32%.   Even if nobody shipped for the next 2 weeks, we're looking at a 40-45% jump in the next difficulty.  Maybe we'll get lucky and the pansies that demand refunds cause their potential RoI has just moved into the basement will stem the flood of products.

thy

Activity: 685

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 03:36:40 PM

November 20-25 or so when KnC has started to deliver there 2nd batch of miners.

jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 05:01:49 PM

Let's be reasonable. It will take another 6 months or so before it hits 1 billion diff.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: