Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:21:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling to get Sapphire Nitro+ RX570 4GB flashed, overclocked, and mining  (Read 123 times)
7d2mine (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:36:20 AM

I managed to get my hands on a new Sapphire Nitro+ RX570 4GB card today. I have read that people typically get 26-30 mh/s with these, mining ethereum.

So far, I read a bunch of guides online then mainly used https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2163734 as a starting guide.

I installed the AMD beta blockchain driver (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-Beta-for-[Suspicious link removed]pute-Release-Notes.aspx) and picked "clean install" then restarted the computer.

(Please note, the workstation in question is Win7 Pro 64-bit.)

Then I used ati flash to back up my bios from the Sapphire RX570 card. Then I downloaded the four bios options in the top section from here: https://anorak.tech/t/sapphire-rx-570-nitro/5332 (Please note, I checked with GPU-Z and my video card says Elpida for the memory.)

*As an aside, I notice there is a switch on the actual video card that says bios. I have not touched it / it is in the same position that it was in when I opened the box. What is this for / was I supposed to toggle it?)

I tried flashing with each of those 4 bios files, each time I would flash by opening the Ati Flash program, clicking load, selecting a BIOS, and then clicking program. Then I would restart when prompted. After the first one, my resolution came up insanely low so I researched and then installed the "patch" as many guides suggested, which is this:  https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher After I did that, no more crazy low resolution after flashing the bios on the GPU.

However, no matter which of the 4 BIOS I load, every time I try to start a miner - I tried both ethminer and xmr-stak - either way it simply runs for a few seconds, showing 0 mh/s for several lines, then the miner crashes.  I am not getting any errors or artifacts or anything weird in windows, just the miner apps themselves crash after a few seconds.

Even stranger, I tried flashing back to the bios backup I took before I started flashing, and the same thing happens. (This is REAL weird because before I started flashing, I could mine albeit getting kind of crappy hash rate, 17MH mining ether. That was with I believe 15.12 ati driver.)

The only thing that has changed, aside from flashing the GPU bios, since that initial "test" is the driver... but everyone seems to say you need to use this blockchain beta driver to get the best hash rate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here, what am I doing wrong?? Also, when I try to open AMD settings (because I read in a few places that you need to change a setting from "graphics" to "compute") the settings window will not open properly.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I do not believe the card is a dud because it seems to be working fine otherwise, no windows errors or weird visual glitches or anything as explained above - just won't mine.

At the moment I am in the process of using DDU in safe mode to remove my gfx drivers and trying to install the blockchain beta driver again fresh. I am not really sure what else I can do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 04:29:44 AM

The official AMD blockchain driver for Windows 7 is broken. With Windows 7 the only blockchain drivers reported to work are the Robinhood drivers.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2068446.0

I don't know if the the latest AMD Adrenaline drivers  for Windows 7 work in compute mode to fix the epoch dag size hash rate drop.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

A good guide to follow for setting up your cards to mine ETH is www.mining.help.
7d2mine (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:12:34 AM

THANK YOU!!!! Installed those "robin hood" drivers and bam, now I'm up and running! Just that driver switch got me from ~17 to ~21 mh/s using ethminer without even flashing the bios or OCing yet. Now going to try flashing the bios again and then tweak the OC settings with afterburner.

Is there some kind of karma or similar system for this forum??
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:23:07 AM

THANK YOU!!!! Installed those "robin hood" drivers and bam, now I'm up and running! Just that driver switch got me from ~17 to ~21 mh/s using ethminer without even flashing the bios or OCing yet. Now going to try flashing the bios again and then tweak the OC settings with afterburner.

There is merit but you are too new to be able to give away any
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:38:14 AM

Install and get Bios Mod from anorak tech
I try to mod and flash bios, and everything is running smoothly
i have 5 card RX570, 2 dataland vendor, 1 Asus Strix, and 2 Power Color
7d2mine (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:49:50 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 07:34:09 AM by 7d2mine

I just used the "Anoraks_Sapphire RX 570 Nitro(plus) 4GB OC_memshift-1500" flash and it seems to be working well.

I'm tweaking the OC settings now; I'm currently at 2050 mem clock, 1300 core clock, haven't touched the voltage yet - currently getting 29-29.5mh.

I think from what I read I want to push mem clock as high as I can without errors/crashing/hash rate drop, then nudge the core clock and voltage down again until bad things happen basically...

*update*

Currently got it to -100 core voltage, 1215 core clock, 2100 memory clock. I tried 2125 memory and screen went black and froze lmao, so haven't tried to push that one any further. I'm currently hitting 30mh/s mining ether, GPU-Z says my gpu is using 106-115watts (I don't have a meter handy to test from the wall.)

Is this "good" or should I keep trying to tweak further? Also, is it better for me to keep trying to LOWER the core clock, because some guides suggesting getting it down into the 1100s, while other places said to keep INCREASING it to see if you can get more hashes. At 30 already, I kind of think there isn't much more to be gained from this card, seems like mainly a case of how low can I get the power usage now that I've hit 30MH/s, right? Is 106-115 watts pretty good for this card?

Also, I am not getting rejected shares or other indications that I am aware of, to suggest any work is being "wasted" yet.

Thanks again for all your help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: