Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspicious: bitcoin core syncing way fast  (Read 286 times)
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:33:33 AM
Merited by AGD (1)

I just got a new laptop, with plenty of hard drive space, so have started with bitcoin core 15.1, as per the instrutions at https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#ubuntu-1610.

It has only been syncing for about 12 hours and already states that the estimated time left as 22 hours, 5 years and 15 weeks behind. I thought syncing was supposed to take at least a week! It took about 10 days last time I did it 2 years ago.

So of course, I'm a wee bit suspicious, and paranoid.

DSL speed test: 1.2Mb/s download, 0.5Mb/s upload
Running Ubuntu 16.04, with 32G RAM,  Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8, and a solid state drive. Yes I know that's high spec, but still, thought I should check.

Thanks
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 09:35:48 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1), ABCbits (1), audaciousbeing (1)

I just got a new laptop, with plenty of hard drive space, so have started with bitcoin core 15.1, as per the instrutions at https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#ubuntu-1610.

It has only been syncing for about 12 hours and already states that the estimated time left as 22 hours, 5 years and 15 weeks behind. I thought syncing was supposed to take at least a week! It took about 10 days last time I did it 2 years ago.

So of course, I'm a wee bit suspicious, and paranoid.

DSL speed test: 1.2Mb/s download, 0.5Mb/s upload
Running Ubuntu 16.04, with 32G RAM,  Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8, and a solid state drive. Yes I know that's high spec, but still, thought I should check.

Thanks

If your new laptop has an SSD, a decent processor (i5-i7) and sufficient RAM, ~24 hours sounds about right... IIRC, somewhere around core version ~0.13, there was some kind of rewrite of some of the sourcecode with a result of a speedup while syncing....

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
micalith (OP)

Activity: 894
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 09:44:31 AM

If your new laptop has an SSD, a decent processor (i5-i7) and sufficient RAM, ~24 hours sounds about right... IIRC, somewhere around core version ~0.13, there was some kind of rewrite of some of the sourcecode with a result of a speedup while syncing....

OK, thanks. I never would have imagined that running a full node could be so easy. Craig fakesatoshi Wright vibez!
mocacinno
Legendary

Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 09:48:55 AM

OK, thanks. I never would have imagined that running a full node could be so easy. Craig fakesatoshi Wright vibez!

It all depends on the bottlenecks... The io of your disks, the amount of ram, the number of cpu threads, the clockspeed, your internet connection... If you have little or no bottlenecks, the syncing is indeed fast enough...

Anyways, if you downloaded bitcoin core from the official repo and checked the signature and you're connected with enough peers, there is little to worry about in the first place Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 12:10:06 PM

The latest core seems to be a lot more efficient.

However, I seem to be having some problems with Windows 10 after the latest upgrade. Sometimes it doesn't find any peers to use, and sometimes it works in burst mode with long gaps between activity. I've more or less decided to revive my old Linux wallet, and move everything into that.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 02:15:43 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1), Jet Cash (1)

However, I seem to be having some problems with Windows 10 after the latest upgrade. Sometimes it doesn't find any peers to use, and sometimes it works in burst mode with long gaps between activity. I've more or less decided to revive my old Linux wallet, and move everything into that.
Bring up the Windows Task Manager the next time it seems to be slow.  Each time this happens to me, Bitcoin Core is driving the DASD at 100%.  I suspect it is LevelDB compacting its database.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 03:58:30 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

IIRC, somewhere around core version ~0.13, there was some kind of rewrite of some of the sourcecode with a result of a speedup while syncing....
That happened at version 0.10. Since 0.10, syncing the blockchain has gotten much faster. Of course there are performance improvements that happen with every major version that make syncing the blockchain faster and faster.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 06:17:02 PM

Bring up the Windows Task Manager the next time it seems to be slow.  Each time this happens to me, Bitcoin Core is driving the DASD at 100%.  I suspect it is LevelDB compacting its database.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a netbook running Ubuntu, and an additional external SSD. I ran a second node on it for a few months, but I decided I didn't really need two nodes. I've more or less decided that I'm going to migrate to the netbook for most of my admin and financial work, despite it having a smaller screen. Another incentive is that Brackets ( which I use for web site maintenance ) has released a version which is fully compatible with Linux.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
and2097

Activity: 221
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2018, 07:37:35 PM

Oh, you're lucky, in my case, the synchronization will take more than a week. One of the disadvantages of storing the database simultaneously for all users.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: